PA and PICS recent "update". Grab a chair.

This is a discussion on PA and PICS recent "update". Grab a chair. within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anybody here buy a gun in PA recently? I could have watched a short movie yesterday while waiting for my background check. It was one ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By PAcanis
  • 1 Post By BigCityChief
  • 1 Post By PAcanis
  • 1 Post By Badey
  • 1 Post By Badey

Thread: PA and PICS recent "update". Grab a chair.

PA and PICS recent "update". Grab a chair.

Anybody here buy a gun in PA recently?
    I could have watched a short movie yesterday while waiting for my background check. It was one hour eighteen minutes. The FFL said this started last Friday. All background checks were averaging one hour on hold. This is after the shop was just notified that PA had "updated" their system again.
    Seems like just a year ago it was taking forever to get through. Now you get through right away and are put on hold for an hour
    I sure wish we'd join NICS like everybody else. PA's sytem is always having problems. The gun shop wasn't happy about it either as they had four guys tied to the phone listening to elevator music while trying to do other things. One guy in the shop did add a Ruger American to his purchase. He said he didn't want to chance coming back this weekend and having to wait again.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about that. In NY, we're soon going to face background checks with EVERY ammo purchase. This requirement was supposed to have been in effect already but the legislature that enacted it didn't realize no such State system was in place yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

That stinks for you about the ammo checks. I hope they devise a better system than PA has.
    Being a small business owner myself, I couldn't imagine running into the horse hockey that constantly seems to happen with PICS. You are at their mercy. There's four employees with phones on their ear, four buyers getting tired of waiting and other customers milling around. Talk about inefficiency.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I bought one about 3 weeks ago. My FFL was on hold for about 20 minutes. In the past, it was actually an instant check.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Just for an update, I talked to my FFL. This is indeed a problem. It is taking between 30 minutes to 1 hour to do a PICS check right now. It should be fixed in a week or two.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Thanks for the update, Badey.
    I was curious if it was localized or statewide, though you and I are relatively close.
    Probably not a problem in Harrisburg...

VIP Member
    I think what's happening in states where the State Police act as POC is that they may have been holding back in case the Feds didn't raise the debt ceiling. If that had happened, the government could have shut down. States sometimes react with slowdowns if it looks like they will need to cut budgets should the Feds not be able to fund them. Your State Police could just be under staffed so checks are taking longer.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

My wife bought a Bearcat in Pennsylvania a few weeks ago and the dealer was only on the phone for about five minutes. We were amazed at how quickly the process went, especially considering my wife is a resident alien with a Green Card.

Links