Handguns across State lines...

This is a discussion on Handguns across State lines... within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all, If Joe Blow buys a handgun in a State other than his residence, the handgun must be shipped to a FFL in the ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TaterSalad
  • 1 Post By 357and40
  • 1 Post By SIGP250
  • 1 Post By SIGP250

Thread: Handguns across State lines...

Handguns across State lines...

Hello all,

If Joe Blow buys a handgun in a State other than his residence, the handgun must be shipped to a FFL in the State where Joe Blow resides.

My question is, if Joe Blow is a FFL holder, can Joe Blow take possession of the handgun in the other State (State of purchase, non-resident) and transport it home himself, or must Joe Blow have it shipped to himself?

Thanks
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

As long as he follows the laws of each state, he can buy FTF and transport. ASK a LAWYER for the legally correct answer. My opinion is just that. Free advice and worth as much.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TaterSalad View Post
    Hello all,

If Joe Blow buys a handgun in a State other than his residence, the handgun must be shipped to a FFL in the State where Joe Blow resides.

My question is, if Joe Blow is a FFL holder, can Joe Blow take possession of the handgun in the other State (State of purchase, non-resident) and transport it home himself, or must Joe Blow have it shipped to himself?

Thanks
    Yes, this would be no different than buying from an out of state manufacturer, distributor, broker or collector. I often send someone to pick up firearms from two different distributors in IL although my premises is located in MO. We have accounts with the distributors we pick up from, so they already have copies of my retail sales license and my FFL on file.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    As long as he follows the laws of each state, he can buy FTF and transport. ASK a LAWYER for the legally correct answer. My opinion is just that. Free advice and worth as much.
    Not true. There is no State law that would preclude an FFL from acquiring firearms anywhere in the US. FFL's are bound only by Federal Firearms Regulations. NFA weapons excepted.
    357and40 likes this.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Links