Looking to get some info/insight from Washington State FFLs

This is a discussion on Looking to get some info/insight from Washington State FFLs within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's a breakdown of the situation. I am trading a firearm to a friend living in upstate Washington for one of his firearms. I need ...

Thread: Looking to get some info/insight from Washington State FFLs

Here's a breakdown of the situation. I am trading a firearm to a friend living in upstate Washington for one of his firearms. I need to know the requirements of completing such a transaction being a resident of Ca and him a resident of Wa.

Would be a major plus if there are any FFL's out there willing to also do the process of the private party transfer.

VIP Member
    I guess there are not too many WA State FFL's here to answer you question so I'll offer you my advise. Transferring a firearm is not difficult.

My understanding is that you will send you firearm from CA to WA and receive another firearm from WA. Here are the needed steps:

1.) Select an FFL in CA willing to transfer your firearm to another FFL in WA State. There are several websites that list FFL's by proximity. Usually you just enter your zip code and the FFL finder will search FFL's within a given proximity of your city. You can use the same FFL finder to search for an FFL in the city you will be transferring to in WA State. Here are a few links to some FFL Finders:

FFL Dealer Locator: Find FFL Dealers & Holders at Gunbroker.com
    Largest FFL Finder & Gun Shop database - FFL gun dealers directory
    Find An FFL - FFL Dealer Locator

2.) Once you have selected an FFL in CA, Contact him. Not all FFL's listed will do transfers, lists may not be current. Once you have contacted an FFL, ask what his fee is. CA is more expensive that most states. The rates in CA vary from about $50-150. Best to check around for price. Usually big box stores are not the best dealers to use for transfers.

3. You or you friend in WA can search for FFL dealers in his city. Repeat the process. His rate will probably be something like $25.00 (normal transfer rate in most states).

4.) Make certain that the firearm you are receiving from WA is legal in CA. Many are not. You CA FFL should be able to tell you if the firearm you wish to receive is CA approved or if there are any restrictions.

5.) Once you have selected FFL's on each end, you each deliver your firearms to your respective FFL's. You may be asked to provide a box and will probably also be responsible for paying shipping costs. FFL's Will usually use a common carrier although they can use USPS which is less expensive. Handguns shipped by common carrier are shipped two day air. Lon guns can be shipped Ground. If the FFL is willing to ship by USPS, Handguns can be shipped Priority mail. Long guns can be shipped Ground. Either way the packages should be insured and with adult signature receipt.

6.) Ask the FFL's to notify you upon receipt. Once your firearm arrives, you will be asked to provide ID and will fill out ATF Form 4473 the same as if you were buying the firearm from the receiving FFL.

That's all there is to transferring from one FFL to another.

Hope my input helps.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Appreciate the input 250

Sponsored Links