background check information - FL FFL

This is a discussion on background check information - FL FFL within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm interested in purchasing my first gun. Im aware that I need to go through a FFL and do the background check. However when I ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 3 Post By archer51
  • 2 Post By 1 old 0311

Thread: background check information - FL FFL

I'm interested in purchasing my first gun. Im aware that I need to go through a FFL and do the background check. However when I was a minor I was arrested twice once for domestic battery and once for domestic violence ( lived in a bad situation that I have since removed myself). I was never charged with either one I was only proccessed and released. So my question is would I pass the background check because I know you won't be approved if you have domestic battery's on your record.

Note since I was a minor I have a "sealed" record.

Thanks for any help

VIP Member
    Not an FFL nor am I a lawyer. That said, just an arrest should not stop you. A sealed record only stops employers from seeing your record. Police and Fed's running a background checks still have access if I'm not mistaken.
    Parrisk likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

A arrest isnt a conviction. If you were not convicted then it wont matter. Been a little bit since I filled one out but I think they ask if you are currently under retraining orders etc. And if you have been convicted of domestic violence.

Are private sales required to go through a background check in FL?? Or a permit to own a handgun required??
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

While it's true an arrest isn't a conviction I think the OP is SOL (ship outta luck) on legally buying a firearm based on DV arrest.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    While it's true an arrest isn't a conviction I think the OP is SOL (ship outta luck) on legally buying a firearm based on DV arrest.
    The BATFE form 4473 doesn't ask if you've been arrested. It asked if you have been convicted. Without a conviction, no crime was committed.
    CWOUSCG, Ghost1958 and gasmitty like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Ex Member
    Why not call your FFL and just ask him?
    flcarry95 and OldVet like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    D'OH! Sometime the obvious is so simple.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flcarry95 View Post
    I'm interested in purchasing my first gun. Im aware that I need to go through a FFL and do the background check. However when I was a minor I was arrested twice once for domestic battery and once for domestic violence ( lived in a bad situation that I have since removed myself). I was never charged with either one I was only proccessed and released. So my question is would I pass the background check because I know you won't be approved if you have domestic battery's on your record.

Note since I was a minor I have a "sealed" record.

Thanks for any help
    If you were convicted of a Misdemeanor Crime of Domestic Violence you may not be able to possess a firearm.

Permanent provisions of the Brady Law, including background checks (found in Section 922(t) of the Federal Gun Control Act (GCA) defines Misdemeanor Crime of Domestic Violence.

If you were not convicted of Any misdemeanor DV, there should be no record and therefore no disability to possess a firearm or ammunition.

A conviction of DV as defined by either Federal or State law would not be disabling if it has been expunged. [18 U.S.C. 921(a)(33), CFR 478.11].

Further, C&R firearms including handguns are not subject to the Brady Law so possession of a serviceable firearm may still be possible however possession of ammunition may still be illegal.

If you have any questions you should contact the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

unless you were convicted it should not matter, however you may get a conditional approval meaning they may want to do a deeper check on you seeing your history.

Links