FFL NFA Question

This is a discussion on FFL NFA Question within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi everyone. I posted this on another forum, but it was quickly locked since apparently no one knew the answer. Anyway, I thought I might ...

Thread: FFL NFA Question

FFL NFA Question

Hi everyone. I posted this on another forum, but it was quickly locked since apparently no one knew the answer. Anyway, I thought I might post it here. Here's my situation:

A few years ago I properly registered an SBR through a corporation. I am the sole officer / owner. Now I am thinking about applying for an FFL, Type 1, with this same corporation Will there be an issue with the corp owning an NFA firearm since I am only applying for a Type 1 license? I have no intention of selling NFA weapons.

Thanks everyone.
    NRA Life Member
    Second Amendment Foundation Supporter

2. Remove Ads

No, there won't be a conflict, as the SBR is in your (the corps) personal collection and not an A&D inventory item. Our family had a firearms business many years ago (01) and, when it dissolved, I applied for my own 01 FFL and already had a papered SBR. I essentially did the same thing you are proposing.

Thank you Longstreet.
    NRA Life Member

So here's an update:

Last week after my initial thread on the other forum was locked, I placed a call to the ATF field office here in Miami.

Today I received a call back from the area supervisor. He understood the situation and said that since the NFA item is a asset of the business, I should list it in the A & D book but notate it as "NFA - Corporate Property Not for Sale".

Thoughts?
    NRA Life Member

I would say he is erring on the side of caution. Your SBR is no different than a typewriter you bought as a corp asset. Neither is an inventory item for sale and both are irrelevant to your A&D book. His reasoning was probably that, if (when) you are audited, if the existence of the SBR is discovered for any reason, it will help eliminate any notion that you were trying to hide it. As for it being required....likely it is not. However, if you list it as he suggested, I see no disadvantage to you. I think I might add the word "Legacy" or "Pre-license" in front of his suggested notation.

Once again, thank you Longstreet. Good advice.
    NRA Life Member

Links