Another Dealer Backs Away From Selling Smart Gun

Another Dealer Backs Away From Selling Smart Gun

This is a discussion on Another Dealer Backs Away From Selling Smart Gun within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Maryland gun dealer drops plans to sell 'smart gun' after backlash | Fox News...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Another Dealer Backs Away From Selling Smart Gun

VIP Member
    gatorbait51 and 84160 like this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Here is anti response to strong backlash from pro-2A supporters.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/28/us...obby.html?_r=1
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

I see no reason for threats i am quite sure this situation will be taken care of by the free market and real world failures ...........if anyone is willing to bet their life on the tech.
    Hopyard likes this.
    The easy way is always mined.

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    If a "smart gun" is controlled by radio frequency, and mandates are issued (they will be), they can eventually be made inoperable by anyone with knowledge on how to jam that frequency. A wrist watch can also be snatched away in a struggle and make the said gun inoperative. If I were a cop, I definitely wouldn't want this technology.
    RemMod597 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    The media keeps painting this issue as the big, bad gun advocates threatening and bullying the poor entrepreneurs because they don't want legislation. While I believe it is true that the vast majority of gun owners would catgorically resist forcing this ill-advised technology on us for many reasons, the vast majority also would not condone theats or violence against the people developing it.

And as far as the manufactures go, I don't believe for one second that they are not working with certain government entities to develop the technology. They are business people out to make money and they know that if the government forces their product on people, they can make more money. Just look at how the insurance companies sold their souls to BHO for Obamacare - they only did so knowing that people would be forced to buy their products.

From my perspective, less a few bad apples, the market is speaking - this technology is being overwhelmingly rejected by gun owners.
    Azchief and Chevyguy85 like this.

VIP Member
    If there is a market for them, I see no reason why our manufacturers shouldn't try to make some bucks. I see no reason why an LGS shouldn't keep them in stock for the
    buyer who wants one. I go into a shoe store and find everything from fine polished leather to recyled-tire sandals. Different strokes, etc.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    If there is a market for them, I see no reason why our manufacturers shouldn't try to make some bucks. I see no reason why an LGS shouldn't keep them in stock for the
    buyer who wants one. I go into a shoe store and find everything from fine polished leather to recyled-tire sandals. Different strokes, etc.
    Shoes aren't guns, and if smart gun tech does hit the market, it will be expensive, unreliable, and mandated. The government and anti's will say, "if it can be done to one gun, it can be done to all of them.

What if a cop got into trouble, and had to borrow another officers weapon? He couldn't do it because it wasn't his gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Sure, make money if you're able.

Just don't try it on the backs of citizens who are seeing their rights curtailed by such registration, tracking, spying and potential confiscation changes in reality. Anything not dead-solid simple and reliable isn't something worth betting your life on. These electronics-infused weapons can and will foul up at some point. Many states are beginning to look at criminalizing failure to offer such products, which gives a clue to which way the winds are blowing. And with the liberty-hating stance of the hirelings over the past few decades, it's unsurprising that many citizens are waking up to the legitimate concerns represented by such intrusion into an armed citizenry.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I saw an interview with the dealer who was going to sell it on Fox news .I believe he said the ones he had were for LEOs. He showed at one of the booths how it worked..He stood at the booth and had gun in one hand and pointed to target and he stretched the arm with watch all the way out in the opposite direction gun wouldn't fire.

I can't understand the death threats.I wouldn't buy one if i could,but each to their own.

And don't forget to change the battery. What about when the watch will no longer work? How much will it cost to get another one? If you have more than one gun, how can you be sure you're wearing the right watch? What if the criminal snatches the watch away from the officer? Now the officer only has a club. Watches are easier to wrestle away from an officer than a gun is, at least that's my line of thinking. When guns have to be registered, I guess the watch does too? GPS tracking in all watches?

I stated in another post, and I will mention it again. What's going to happen when technology becomes available to jam radio frequencies of the watches?

Having small children, I like the idea of a smart gun. But I would never guy one unless it was reliable as my Glock, which I could never see happen. Let the consumer decide if this is a good idea, not a Government mandate.
    ccw9mm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmcg1525 View Post
    Having small children, I like the idea of a smart gun. But I would never guy one unless it was reliable as my Glock, which I could never see happen. Let the consumer decide if this is a good idea, not a Government mandate.
    Children like to play with watches. Better lock that away if one has small children.

Whenever I hear the word "smart" attached to some new (and required) item, I cringe. I suspect that it's a term du jour (like "folks" or "infrastructure") and that it's specious and deceptive (and not at all "smart").

Even if it worked, always, it would be unnecessary. (That said, you want it? What the hey, go for it.)

To me, the alleged technology sounds as defeatable as the computer I'm typing on.

flintlock62 and Ghost1958 like this.
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    Children like to play with watches. Better lock that away if one has small children.
    Exactly why this is a bad design. Just saying if a firearm could only be operated by accepted users 100% of the time, I'd consider buying it. Don't see that happening anytime soon. But where firearm technology goes should be driven by the consumer, not by mandates.
    ccw9mm and Cnon like this.

VIP Member
    Needless to say this has been a huge topic on a local board.

Here's the owner's response on YouTube. *Warning* some language NSFW

I understand that he's been through a lot recently, but probably not the best idea to post this up after you've been drinking....
    Dan060 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links