Looking for recent beginning gunsmiths to interview

This is a discussion on Looking for recent beginning gunsmiths to interview within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm working on an article about becoming a gunsmith (potentially a book as well) and am looking for gunsmiths who began their business/profession in the ...

Thread: Looking for recent beginning gunsmiths to interview

Looking for recent beginning gunsmiths to interview

I'm working on an article about becoming a gunsmith (potentially a book as well) and am looking for gunsmiths who began their business/profession in the last five years. I'd like to interview you (via email) about your training, career planning, type of work you're doing and business practices, as well as get a good idea of what a new person looking to begin a successful gunsmithing career would need to know.

I'm specifically looking for gunsmiths who have started recently since many things have changed over the years, but would also bhe interested in view of long term smiths as well.

Sorry, no compensation available, though if a book does come about I'll be happy to mention you in the acknowledgements, if you've provided useful information. :)

Thanks for any help, feel free to PM me or email me at:

jeff at zina dotcom.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. Remove Ads

Can't help you with new gunsmiths, but one of our members here is a long-time 'smith, GCunningham. He's not in here often, but you could try a pm to him.

And moderator HotGuns is also a 'smith... give him a shout.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I use Ogilvie & Ogilvie in Springfield IL. Bill Ogilvie is a 4th generation smith. He's also a pretty famous trick shooter who has been on the History channel a couple times. When on the road, he goes by the name Badlands Bill. When he's around, he works mainly on custom .45's. Their shop is a family business and they are always busy. They don't have a website and don't care much for computers but you can call them.

A gunsmith with five years of experience may know just enough to be dangerous. IMO, you want to speak to old school gunsmiths who know what they are doing. Bill or his brother will talk to you.

Edit: Forgot, Here's their number - (217) 487-7100
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Administrator
    You might want to call this school up and see if they can provide you with a list of recent grads.

Pennsylvania Gunsmith School: Pittsburgh PA
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Joe Chambers - apprenticed under Bob Marvel and has his own business, Chambers Custom Pistols.

Jeremy Reid - apprenticed under Bob Rodgers and has his own business, Reid Pistolsmithing.

Lou Biondo - a member here and owns Business End Customs.

Those 3 are some of the hottest 'new' smiths in the business.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Links