FFL--personal firearm sale

This is a discussion on FFL--personal firearm sale within the FFL Dealer Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought a particular rifle under my FFL and logged it in as inventory. I later decided to make it a personal gun so I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SIGP250

Thread: FFL--personal firearm sale

FFL--personal firearm sale

I bought a particular rifle under my FFL and logged it in as inventory. I later decided to make it a personal gun so I logged it out to me with a completed 4473. I have now sold it out of state and shipped to buyer's FFL in another state. What if any paperwork do I now need for my book?
    Defensive firearms instructor and owner of outdoor 300m rifle and 25m pistol range in northeast Georgia--Semperfiguntraining.com
    NRA Distinguished Expert Semi-auto Pistol
    Springfield XDS .45; STI 1911 Rangemaster; Glock 36 and Walther PPQ M2

2. Remove Ads

PM HotGuns, he usually has the FFL answers down pretty good.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpinjarhead View Post
    I bought a particular rifle under my FFL and logged it in as inventory. I later decided to make it a personal gun so I logged it out to me with a completed 4473. I have now sold it out of state and shipped to buyer's FFL in another state. What if any paperwork do I now need for my book?
    As an 01 or 07 FFL you can take any firearm out of inventory for personal use. Log the disposition as "removed from business inventory to personal collection" You don't fill out Form 4473 for yourself, they know who you are.

By law, you are required to keep the firearm in your possession for a period of 1 year before you can sell it, either privately or to any other FFL. [27 CFR 478.125a]

If you sell it back to yourself as Dealer, log it as a new acquisition. Then log the sale disposition to the buyer's FFL, not the buyer. After a year, you can sell the firearm the same as any unlicensed person, e.g., no log entry or 4473 required.
    LimaCharlie likes this.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    As an 01 or 07 FFL you can take any firearm out of inventory for personal use. Log the disposition as "removed from business inventory to personal collection" You don't fill out Form 4473 for yourself, they know who you are.

By law, you are required to keep the firearm in your possession for a period of 1 year before you can sell it, either privately or to any other FFL. [27 CFR 478.125a]

If you sell it back to yourself as Dealer, log it as a new acquisition. Then log the sale disposition to the buyer's FFL, not the buyer. After a year, you can sell the firearm the same as any unlicensed person, e.g., no log entry or 4473 required.
    Thanks--that's the way I did it.
    Defensive firearms instructor and owner of outdoor 300m rifle and 25m pistol range in northeast Georgia--Semperfiguntraining.com
    NRA Distinguished Expert Semi-auto Pistol
    Springfield XDS .45; STI 1911 Rangemaster; Glock 36 and Walther PPQ M2

Depends on if you are a sole proprietor or if an LLC/corporation holds the FFL. Sole proprietor is treated as the same since they are the actual FFL holder, so what HotGuns posted would be correct for that. If the FFL is held by an LLC or corporation, then you are treated as a separate person and you need to run a 4473.

My FFL is held by my company which is an LLC. I have to run a 4473 on myself when I buy a gun from inventory.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Links