Weapon Cleaning

This is a discussion on Weapon Cleaning within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I tend to clean mine when I see them, which is about every 4 months or so. My carry pistol just gets dusted after every ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weapon Cleaning

I tend to clean mine when I see them, which is about every 4 months or so.

My carry pistol just gets dusted after every sandstorm.

My AR has never been cleaned, but I will shoot it with compressed, dry shop air before hitting it with more lube

My CZ452 and Mossberg 500 get meticulously cleaned, de-rusted and relubed every time I'm home on leave, since they are attention whores and will rust to powder if I don't.

My Glock has never been cleaned. My 1911 gets cleaned only because it's new and I like to play with it. Haven't shot it enough to figure out how much cleaning it needs.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kcmitch View Post
    I like to run a bore snake through them every time I shoot. Anybody else use these items. I like that they are quick and easy, and they are washable.
    Foam Bore cleaner and a Bore Snake make cleaning my long guns fun and super easy.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I have no weapons; I have firearms. The word weapon has connotations of offense. I carry a firearm for self-defense.
    In your restrictive state and some others pistols or revolver are defined as a firearm. Almost anything else is defined as a Weapon.

Refer to your State Statue 29-38 Weapons in Vehicles for example.

The word "Weapon" means any BB gun, any blackjack, any metal or brass knuckles, batton or night stick, any dirk knife, etc. etc. Then there are the various sections regarding "Assault Weapons"

53-202a Assault Weapons Definition.
    This is where it really gets fun.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I clean them every time I shoot them. I figure I can't go wrong with that habit. They get more thorough cleanings than the basic strip, wipe down and barrel cleaning once every few months. They've all worked great so far...

If I shoot it, I clean it...with Gunzilla!
    http://www.gunzilla.us/
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    I tend to clean mine when I see them, which is about every 4 months or so.

My carry pistol just gets dusted after every sandstorm.

My AR has never been cleaned, but I will shoot it with compressed, dry shop air before hitting it with more lube

My CZ452 and Mossberg 500 get meticulously cleaned, de-rusted and relubed every time I'm home on leave, since they are attention whores and will rust to powder if I don't.

My Glock has never been cleaned. My 1911 gets cleaned only because it's new and I like to play with it. Haven't shot it enough to figure out how much cleaning it needs.
    This sounds reasonable and realistic especially for the home collection. How often does your M16 or what you use get cleaned? How often on average for anyone's M16?
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    This sounds reasonable and realistic especially for the home collection. How often does your M16 or what you use get cleaned? How often on average for anyone's M16?
    Right now I carry an issued Beretta 92FS (Not an M9), which I make sure doesn't have anything living in the barrel about once a week.

I don't really clean it thoroughly, but will right before I turn it in at the end of my year.

I used to be a member of the "clean weapon club" and did the whole "clean it three times after you shoot it, and every time you walk by the arms room" but since OIF and OEF, I've learned a thing or two about what impact "clean" has on daily use weapons.

Learning to properly lube a weapon has changed my idea about how clean an M16 or M4 has to be. Which is "not very". Up until a couple months ago, when I carried a carbine every day to work, I would inspect for large particulate matter, and then apply more lube as needed.

Heavy lubrication shown to improve M16, M4 effectiveness - Military News, News From Iraq & Afghanistan - Military Times

M4Carbine.net Forums

This issue isn't dirty weapons, the issue is insufficient lubrication.

VIP Member
    Right now I carry an issued Beretta 92FS (Not an M9), which I make sure doesn't have anything living in the barrel about once a week.

I don't really clean it thoroughly, but will right before I turn it in at the end of my year.

I used to be a member of the "clean weapon club" and did the whole "clean it three times after you shoot it, and every time you walk by the arms room" but since OIF and OEF, I've learned a thing or two about what impact "clean" has on daily use weapons.

Learning to properly lube a weapon has changed my idea about how clean an M16 or M4 has to be. Which is "not very". Up until a couple months ago, when I carried a carbine every day to work, I would inspect for large particulate matter, and then apply more lube as needed.

Heavy lubrication shown to improve M16, M4 effectiveness - Military News, News From Iraq & Afghanistan - Military Times

M4Carbine.net Forums

This issue isn't dirty weapons, the issue is insufficient lubrication.
    Wow, you must have friends in high places. I thought the M9 was all that was being issued. The 92FS is a great pistol. too bad you can't keep it. I'd like to own an older one. I'd also like to own a Hi-Power and a...

I understand the grease. I use it more than oil on my Sigs. It doesn't wear off.

Light oil and fine sand is all you need for metal cutting.

Stay safe.
    - Zen Saying

After every use with Gunzilla!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Wow, you must have friends in high places. I thought the M9 was all that was being issued. The 92FS is a great pistol. too bad you can't keep it. I'd like to own an older one. I'd also like to own a Hi-Power and a...

I understand the grease. I use it more than oil on my Sigs. It doesn't wear off.

Light oil and fine sand is all you need for metal cutting.

Stay safe.
    I'm a contractor, and my latest contract is with the Air Force, which issued me a civvie 92FS. I really cannot tell the difference between it and an M9.

Water is all you need for metal cutting, too, but there is more to it than that. What happens to a dirty, well-lubed weapon is that the moving parts create a swiping action which removes most grit from betweent the moving parts. Insufficient lube still attracts the same amount of particulate matter, it just doesn't allow the moving surfaces to eject it. No lube at all is worst of all.

I don't leave visible grit on my guns. Shop air takes care of that.

VIP Member
    I'm a contractor, and my latest contract is with the Air Force, which issued me a civvie 92FS. I really cannot tell the difference between it and an M9.

Water is all you need for metal cutting, too, but there is more to it than that. What happens to a dirty, well-lubed weapon is that the moving parts create a swiping action which removes most grit from betweent the moving parts. Insufficient lube still attracts the same amount of particulate matter, it just doesn't allow the moving surfaces to eject it. No lube at all is worst of all.

I don't leave visible grit on my guns. Shop air takes care of that.
    Sounds like an interesting job. Good point about the water. I have never seen it done but I have seen metal that was cut using the process. I think it has mostly been replaced by laser cutting in a tank of water.
    I would be willing to try Gunzilla. It seems to work. When I say I use grease, it is a very high viscosity white lithium grease., only on certain parts of the slide and only on certain pistols.
    - Zen Saying

I break down, inspect and lube before shooting, clean after shooting, and usually clean it again about a week later. Otherwise, it's by exception, usually if it's been stored for a while.
    I use regular CLP, toothbrush, old t-shirt and bore snakes (a must have I discovered a few years ago).
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I intend to use my "firearms" as "weapons" should the need for SD arise. Anything can be used as a weapon, including firearms. That's enough of that silly political correctness game.

Back to the OP:
    I clean every time I shoot them. I feel I got them dirty, so I owe it to them to clean the crud off. If they looked like they needed a cleaning inbetween, I'd do so. But I'm not into the wiping them down daily routine. I've never had a malfunction due to cleaning.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    For the person who asked me about grease. attached are a couple images. I use Hoppes copper solvent (smells) and #8 gun oil. The white lithium grease comes in a spray can with a little straw that you insert into the sprayer. Grease it hard to find but take my word for it, it is the same stuff that you can buy at an auto parts store. The same as you never over oil a gun, you only use a shot of grease.

BTY, You are always going to see a little wear on the top of the barrel at the ejector port if the gun is blued or like Sig's Nitron finish. That is normal.

Sig.jpg

05-04-2010 02;36;40PM.jpg

text.pdf
    - Zen Saying

That was me - thanks Sig - mystery solved
    It took me almost 50 years to learn that wealth is not the one with the most,but the one who needs the least.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links