First time Gunzilla user report.

First time Gunzilla user report.

This is a discussion on First time Gunzilla user report. within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I've read the threads with the glowing reports on Gunzilla, so I broke down and bought a bottle. A bottle cost me $16 by the ...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Smile First time Gunzilla user report.

I've read the threads with the glowing reports on Gunzilla, so I broke down and bought a bottle. A bottle cost me $16 by the time I added shipping, and that would have bought a lot of Hoppes. I hate having to order it online and wonder: If this stuff is so good, why isn't it in gun stores?

On my G30 barrel, I did notice that it seemed to desolve the gunk and grime a bit faster than Hoppes, but like the instructions say--let it soak for a while. I still had to scrape loose a few chunks of waxy build-up, but I had to do that with Hoppes also. It is nicer in the smell department, or lack of!

Next I cleaned my .22 conversion kit for my G30. The barrel tends to lead up and takes some wire brushing to clear out. So I soaked a parch with Gunzilla and ran it thru. On about the 4 pass, I felt some crunching and out came pieces of lead. I ran a new soaked patch thru and nearly all the lead slid right out. Score one for Zilla. I let it sit while I cleaned up the slide, and mag, and when I came back, one swipe of the wire brush showed no lead left. Needless to say, I was impressed.

It also worked well on my very dirty 4566. Again, let it soak on the really dirty stuff and it seems to desolve it all.

I can't make any claims as to it's effectiveness as a lube, etc. because I never had problems with Hoppes, CLP, or marine grease before. I guess time will tell on that issue.

So in a nutshell, I found that Gunzilla does smell better (in fact, doesn't smell at all), and cleans as well or slightly faster than Hoppes if you let it soak awhile. It does appear to displace any lead faster than Hoppes (or anything other gun cleaner/solvent I've used). I like that it stays "wet" rather than evaporating, which probably adds to its lubricating effectiveness.

Is it worth the extra expense? I'm still sitting on the fence on that point. It sure would be nice to walk into the LGS and pick up a bottle.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    Interesting report; some good points to consider.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I've read the threads with the glowing reports on Gunzilla, so I broke down and bought a bottle. A bottle cost me $16 by the time I added shipping, and that would have bought a lot of Hoppes. I hate having to order it online and wonder: If this stuff is so good, why isn't it in gun stores?
    Same here...I bought a bottle and have been trying it out (instead of Hoppes #9 or Shooter's Choice). First time I played around with it, I cleaned three guns that were already clean, just to see if anything else came out. Nothing really came out - I keep my guns pretty darn clean. However, my wife was at church during the cleaning and when she got home she didn't say anything about the gun smell. I finally asked her if she smelled anything and she said there was no evidence that I had cleaned guns that night. So, as far as residual odor in the house, Gunzilla did great.

Next, I cleaned three guns after a trip to the range. I let it soak in the barrels, etc. Everything cleaned up very well...not sure I would say it was better at cleaning, but it did a thorough job. I got more of it on my hands this time, and my hands did smell like this stuff for the rest of the day. It is a strange smell, but it does not go all through the house like Hoppes. One thing I noticed after cleaning a couple of revolvers...I normally oil the cylinders to allow them to spin freely. After cleaning with Gunzilla, the cylinders were spinning more freely than they had ever spun before...and I didn't add anything else to them. So, for some reason, it appears that this stuff makes the metal parts pretty darn slick. I liked that.

In summary:

1. It is a good cleaner...maybe the best, maybe not...can't tell yet. But it does the job as a general gun cleaner - it is probably less toxic than most cleaners if that matters (it does not matter to me).

2. It has a smell to it if you stick your nose to the bottle, but it won't stink up your house or gun area like Hoppes, Shooter's Choice, etc., etc. This was the main reason I tried it and it is working great with the low-odor issue.

3. Lubrication - don't understand what's happening. It doesn't appear to leave any wet oil on anything, but I know the cylinders on my revolvers are spinning like tops and I like that. So, without understanding how that is happening, I would have to say I am impressed with the lubrication aspect of this stuff.

4. Protection of metal...have not used this long enough to tell.

Hope this helps somebody else. Anybody know for sure how this stuff works as a lubricant, please share. I don't buy, and am not impressed with all that "bonds with metal at a molecular level" stuff...it must leave a film of something on the metal though because it is slick.

Thanks, B

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That's pretty much my thoughts too. Lack of odor is nice and it works better than Hoppes on the leading, not that Hoppes won't get it out also. I'm in a wait and see mode on the lubricating issue. I don't know why it's not in gun stores (everything else is).
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've been using Gunzilla for a while now. I was also a previous Hoppes use for over a decade. The smell alone is worth it to me. I hated having the house smell like Hoppes after a cleaning. What I have really noticed is that I only need to run 1 or 2 patches through a barrel after a range session instead of 5 or 6 with Hoppes. I've also used Gunzilla to clean the pivot points on my knives and it makes them very slick.

As for the shipping charge, I usually just put one big order in when I run low. I don't know if shipping is still free for orders over a certain amount, but it was at one time.

I like the convenience of one product that cleans, lubes, and protects. I usually have to clean 7 or 8 handguns when I go to the range, and it makes it go much faster.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I've had good experience with Break Free that I buy in local stores. I find that when I spray down the real dirty parts, including down the barrel while the gun is still warm from shooting and I'm done shooting for the day, everything just wipes off with almost no scrubbing whatsoever. I just spray it down, wrap the pistol in a rag and wipe off when I get home. Of course it takes more lubing and fine tune cleaning but at least the rough stuff just falls off and I don't have to deal with that worst part of cleaning. I've never used Gunzilla before but just a thought for the next time you go out, maybe give that a try with it and see if it's even better by using it immediately after shooting your last shots.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    I must be doing something wrong because when I clean my old S&W 60 with the Gunzilla I have to scrub and scrub for a long time to get it clean. (Am I doing something wrong?) I clean my gun every time I shoot it and it is a BIG JOB.

Quote Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
    I must be doing something wrong because when I clean my old S&W 60 with the Gunzilla I have to scrub and scrub for a long time to get it clean. (Am I doing something wrong?) I clean my gun every time I shoot it and it is a BIG JOB.
    Pinklady, maybe try what I was talking about and apply it right after your last shot, while the gun is still a little warm, wrap it in an old T-shirt and when you get home, you'll probably be able to just wipe most of the big job stuff off. I use Break Free but I imagine you would get the same result with Gunzilla.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

GM
    You do not necessarily need to be doing something wrong. I tried Gunzilla for a while and it did not work well at all. In addition, when I got rust on my carry gun Gunzilla did not remove the rust; I had to remove with other product before applying Gunzilla, but the rust always came back after a few days. I use Eezox now and the rust never came back.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Going by your post, it seems that you might not be letting it soak. Next time let it soak for several minutes so it can work. If the gun is still dirty, repeat the process and let it soak a little longer. I've gotten good results with it, but still prefer Blue Wonder.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I purchased a bottle based on the many rave reviews here, I agree that with shipping it is a little dear but after all, I have a lot of money tied up in firearms and cheaping out is not a good way to go. After a few months, I have to admit that other than the smell, I cannot tell whether it does better than Breakfree CLP or the old Hoppes method. I am getting an ultrasonic cleaner, will be interesting to see how it works with that. As a lubricant, I have no issues but again, head and shoulders above the competition? The jury is still out for me. I will keep using it and see.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Going by your post, it seems that you might not be letting it soak. Next time let it soak for several minutes so it can work. If the gun is still dirty, repeat the process and let it soak a little longer. I've gotten good results with it, but still prefer Blue Wonder.
    I tried putting it on my gun let it set for a little while then scrub it a bit and after that I added more gunzilla and left it till morning and it was still a devil to clean. It took alot of scrubbing to clean it.

It's difficult to get all of the black off of the front of the cylinder on a stainless steel revolver. Someone on DC suggested to me using a pencil eraser. I haven't tried it yet, but several folks swear by it. I'm ok with a tad of black on the front of the cylinder as long as it isn't built up. My gun isn't a show piece...it's a shooter.

I also find that with pocket carry, Gunzilla repels pocket lint compared to rem oil and CLP. My S&W 442 stays MUCH cleaner when I pocket carry.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links