cleaning schedule for guns that aren't getting use

This is a discussion on cleaning schedule for guns that aren't getting use within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; i always strip and clean my guns as soon as i get back from the range. however i have a few sitting in the safe ...

Thread: cleaning schedule for guns that aren't getting use

i always strip and clean my guns as soon as i get back from the range. however i have a few sitting in the safe that aren't getting any use. are there any guidelines for the type of upkeep non-use guns should get to make sure they don't rust and remain lubricated properly?

Check'em once a month. I assume you have a golden rod and desiccant in your safe?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

yes - keeping the humidity under control in the safe so moisture shouldn't be an issue. you think they need to be oiled/lubed once a month?

If they're not being used maybe they need to go to gun broker

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    When protected from direct dampness, most guns are suprisingly immune to rust. I pulled out an old shotgun stored in a guncase in a closet the other day. It hasn't seen daylight in years. No rust, no nothing. It got a quick wipedown and back into the case. And that's in Florida too.

I'd clean and lube it before I'd use it, but most rust comes from handling and body sweat rather than from sitting in a safe/gun cabinet. I have no "schedule" and have never had a rust issue.

There are some products designed for "long-term" storage if that would be more reassuring to you.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

thanks much o.v.!

these babies aren't going years without attention so do you think best bet is to make sure they're lightly oiled every once in a while?

usually what i do for my gun that sits around (my home defense gun) i wipe out the barrel monthly. when my gun sits for a while it likes to collect dust in the barrel. and every 3 months or so i'll make sure its lubed. i don't exactly have a safe, so my guns sits in a hiding space that is very prone to dust collection. my carry gun, its usually a once a month cleaning just to ensure body sweat isn't getting to it too much.

I try and make sure that all my firearms get cleaned about twice a year. I'll pull all of them out of the gunsafe, give them a quick inspection to make sure none of them have acquired any rust or anything. Function check them to make sure they work, and then wipe them down with a silicon cloth and put them back in the safe until they get used again. I've done this since I've been in the military, and never had any issues with any of them, aside from feeling bad about the neglect they receive.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spar10 View Post
    thanks much o.v.!

these babies aren't going years without attention so do you think best bet is to make sure they're lightly oiled every once in a while?
    I think that's a good idea. I agree with Buckeye; twice a year should be more than sufficient to protect your firearms under most conditions. More than that and it an excuse to fondle the firearms (panting, eyes rolling up, etc.). Minor dust isn't going to affect operation. If it did, guns would never be reliable.

Here's something you can do. Contact a firearm museum and ask them how they maintain their firearms. I don't think they take them down to dust and oil on a monthly basis.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Honestly, I've been a cleaning slacker lately. I always clean my guns after a range session, and the unused firearms about once every 6 months. Lately, I've let the unused firearms sit much longer...I've got to work on that.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Try Brownell's Rust Blox Vapor Tabs.

Use a clean cotton rag & wipe off any possible external fingerprints then pop your handgun into a Zip Loc bag - Toss in a couple of Rust Blox Vapor Tabs and your firearm cannot rust or corrode. No need to have it coated with any oil or grease. You can totally ignore that bagged firearm for a year or more and it will look the same as the day you bagged it.

VIP Member
    There you go. Bag it and tag it.

Links