A couple cleaning kit questions.

This is a discussion on A couple cleaning kit questions. within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I'm looking to get a new cleaning kit together and could use some help. I have a real cheap set from walmart. It is a ...

Thread: A couple cleaning kit questions.

A couple cleaning kit questions.

I'm looking to get a new cleaning kit together and could use some help. I have a real cheap set from walmart. It is a plastic container that acts as a handle. Its breaking and I am going to need a new kit. I have a few pistols, a shotgun, and soon a rifle.

Does anyone know a cheap kit that will work well for these weapons?
    Any other pieces I should add to it?

Also, my kit came with brass barrel brushes, but my guns came with nylon. Is one preferred over the other?

The last question is about cleaning patches. Reading some other the threads in here I see some people plugging a certain brand patch. Any brand have any advantage over another? Or just get whatever you can as cheap as possible?

2. Remove Ads

Don't bother with a kit - like you said, they're cheap and not worth what you pay for them.

Get a good one-piece cleaning rod for your rifle - I like the Tipton carbon fiber ones. I think you can find an adapter to fit shotgun brushes. It'll work for your handgun barrels as well. $30 Plastic coated and aluminum are no-go's as crud will get embedded in them and abrade your bore.
    Get a set of brass cleaning jags - you'll be set for any caliber rifle or pistol you obtain in the future and they clean much better than those slotted tips - $12. I don't/very rarely use brushes on my rifles/pistol anymore.
    Get 100% cotton patches.
    Use a bore guide when cleaning your rifle.

Ottis cleaning kits are good, but there are other uses for the cleaning rod that the Ottis cable can't handle.

Thanks. Will look into those. A jag, patch and solvent seems like a better idea than those brushes. Does the .22 size work in a .223 rifle? Also, is the bore guide only to sit inside the receiver? Not quite sure what its for.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    Thanks. Will look into those. A jag, patch and solvent seems like a better idea than those brushes. Does the .22 size work in a .223 rifle? Also, is the bore guide only to sit inside the receiver? Not quite sure what its for.
    Yes both are .223 dia, bore guide fits into muzzle and prevents the cleaning rod from hitting the crown of the barrel. Also 9mm and 38/357 jags are interchangable.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I'm looking to get a new cleaning kit together and could use some help. I have a real cheap set from walmart. It is a plastic container that acts as a handle. Its breaking and I am going to need a new kit. I have a few pistols, a shotgun, and soon a rifle.

Does anyone know a cheap kit that will work well for these weapons?
    Any other pieces I should add to it?

Also, my kit came with brass barrel brushes, but my guns came with nylon. Is one preferred over the other?

The last question is about cleaning patches. Reading some other the threads in here I see some people plugging a certain brand patch. Any brand have any advantage over another? Or just get whatever you can as cheap as possible?
    Nothing wrong with the nylon brushes over the brass (actually bronze in most instances). For your shotguns, brass brushes will do better as the plastic fouling will need more aggressive cleaning. Wal Mart cleaning kits? You need to be careful in choosing a good cleaning kit you can add onto as needed. A lot of those generic cleaning kits have manufacturer specific threads, those like Outers and such. Kleen Bore kits use standardized threads where you can basically buy bore brushes that will match just about anywhere like gun shows and online. Patches? I always use 100% cotton on everything I own. If you can't find 100% cotton in your specific caliber, then buy oversize and cut them to match. As far as finding a cleaning kit that will do everything you need, I don't think there's anything available on the market. You'll need to build it yourself as needed.

Actually, I was talking about the receiver bore guides like the one below; always clean breech to muzzle.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Links