Anyone used Birchwood Casey RIG Universal Gun Grease?

This is a discussion on Anyone used Birchwood Casey RIG Universal Gun Grease? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Birchwood Casey RIG Universal Gun Grease. Anyone used it before? Any experience with it? I bought a tube of it from a LGS, cost only ...

Birchwood Casey RIG Universal Gun Grease.

Anyone used it before? Any experience with it?

I bought a tube of it from a LGS, cost only $1.95 locally for the 1.5 oz tube.
    Thought I would try it on the rails of my Kahr PM9 and Ruger LCP since oil lube just runs out of the gun and it ends up dry after a couple weeks.

Hope the link works.

http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/RIG/...c-6ddb3e1a983b
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I use this:

I've used it.

It doesn't work as well as I'd have liked in a frozen environment, but that's not much of a problem for me. I found it broke down in the desert environment quicker than I liked. I'm partial to Wilson's Grease though.

Biker

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've stopped buying special "gun" greases altogether. I put a very fine coat of green marine grease on the rails. Doesn't run off, stays put. Since I don't live in the Artic, thickening is not a concern. If it can stand up to saltwater dunking and bearing abuse, it should easily stand up to slides.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've used Universal since the eighties as a preservative, not a lube. Applied with an old shaving brush, you can store your guns and forget about them. Glad to see this product back out on the market. as a lube however, I think there are better choices out there. just my own 2 cents.

Timely topic. I was eyeing the Birchwood Casey RIG Universal Gun Grease at Cabelas, but thought it may not hold up. Did some forum surfing and came upon this stuff:
    LUBRIPLATE No. 105. It's a white, waterproof grease type lubricant.
    Other forums' members thought it was pretty good stuff. Others like Mobile 1 synthetic.

There is no better product for protecting firearms from rust. I've used it for 35 years now and it has not let me down.

RIG is not a lubricating grease. It's purpose is for short or long term protection of firearms' surfaces from rust and corrosion.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    There is no better product for protecting firearms from rust. I've used it for 35 years now and it has not let me down.

RIG is not a lubricating grease. It's purpose is for short or long term protection of firearms' surfaces from rust and corrosion.
    This.

Administrator
    Try Jardine's Extreme. A little bit goes a long way.
    It's fantastic stuff. Google search for it.

A synthetic-based grease designed to protect and stop wear, corrosion and galling in all types of semi-automatic and fully automatic firearms.

Jardine's Extreme will protect against corrosion and wear in plastic, aluminum, stainless and regular steel framed firearms. It has a wide operating range which allows for use in all types of climates. Jardine's Extreme is non-volatile and will not separate or drain off parts.

Ultra Wide Temperature Operation: -50F to 600F with no loss in performance properties. (-45C - 316C or 228 Kelvin - 589 Kelvin)

Manufactured from a synthetic based fluid with a multi functional additive system using anti-scuff and dry film additives, this product will lubricate all types of materials at ultra low and high temperatures, wet, dry, or freezing.

Most gun lubes are repacked industrial grease or oil not designed for the friction and wear regimes of modern semi and full auto systems.

Designed from the ground up as the ideal firearm lubricant with the correct type and amount of high quality

additives and delivered in low break-away torque grease to resist wear and scuffing commonly encountered with inferior lubes.

Unlike repacked oils, this product will stop scuffing and adhesive wear in plastic, carbon steel, and stainless steel.

Contains NO Ionization technology chemicals which contain chlorinated wax as the base that will breakdown with heat and release hydrochloric acid which will cause rust and corrosion.. Chlorinated wax also has bad low temperature properties and has no place in quality lube due to corrosion and staining concerns.

Unlike other technologies, this product does NOT need burnishing, high temperature, pressure, or high speed loading to "activate" or "work into the microscopic pores of the metal". This allows use in areas that have low loads and slow sliding speeds while still giving excellent wear and anti-scuff protection.

Available in 10CC syringe for ease of use in pin point applications.

I have used it for years, RIG (Rust Inhibiting Grease). I kept a lambs wool pad with RIG on it in my shotgun canvas case. When I was out in the field hunting in bad weather, or when coming in after being out hunting, I would just wipe down my gun with the pad and never had any problems with rust. Far as I'm concerned it's good stuff!

Links