Gunzilla Question

Gunzilla Question

This is a discussion on Gunzilla Question within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Good morning. I've recently started using Gunzilla, bought two of their products a few weeks ago and used them, and then again this morning. I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar

Gunzilla Question

Good morning. I've recently started using Gunzilla, bought two of their products a few weeks ago and used them, and then again this morning.

I've recently come down with a bad case of sinusitis, that now stretches back several weeks which is really unusual for me -- usually, I get the sniffles or something, I can deal with it and send the junk on its way in just a matter of days. But after this morning I'm wondering what's causing the sinusitis.

I broke out the Gunzilla this morning to clean, for the first time, my new PM9. Now, post cleaning and cleaning up, I'm feeling the sinusitis kick in really bad, even affecting my eyes now.

Any possibility of an allergy to Gunzilla? Anybody else have any issues with it?

I also noticed this morning, that two of the brushes that I used last time out melted the plastic casing they were stored in since I used them -- obviously, since it's the first time that's happened, the Gunzilla residue left on them tore into the plastic.

What do you think?
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I recently tried Gunzilla also, and it didn't bother me, but I'm not particularly sensitive to things either. You may be. The lack of smell is what stimulated me to try it. Hoppes just stinks up the whole house.

As for the plastic melting, it is a solvent. I use the little metal acid brushes and keep them in a jar, so I haven't exposed them to plastic.

As to how well GZ works, the jury is still out for me. It seems slightly better on cleaning lead out. Like all "liquid" lubes, it disapates too quickly for me, so I still lube the pistol rails with grease. I'll give it until the bottle is empty to make a judgement call on buying more.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've been using Gunzilla for about a year now and haven't noticed any sinus issues while, or after using it.

I also haven't noticed any deforming or melting of plastic (old tooth brushes) from using Gunzilla.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

You are correct Vet, it is a solvent, just had not seen that happen with the Hoppes that I had used previously.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.

Senior Moderator
    Gunzilla is made from organic compounds. Plants and cactus juice I think. It is entirely possible that you could be allergic to it.

Cease use of it and see what happens. Then try it again. If it stuffs you up and affects your eyes, quit using it and send it to me.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Agreed with HG...Only do not send it to him, send it to me!

I've been using it for several years now.
    Yes, it is a solvent different than Hoppes and will remove lead as well as plastic residue such as with shotguns.

This is stated at their website...

...Gunzilla effectively removes carbon, copper, lead, rust, black powder, and plastic particles left from shotgun sabots/wads. Most cleaners soften carbon but it still must be scraped or scrubbed off a gun. Gunzilla’s unique formula breaks the bonds of the carbon molecules and turns them into a sludge-like liquid....
    Hoppes does not do this, so do not use plastic brushes with Gunzilla and expect long term endurance.
    As well like HG said if for some reason your body is telling you it doesn't like the product then well yeah send it to him, or me. : )

BTW I had no idea the Copperzilla was now a product offering.
    But I bought my bottle years ago as an early adopter (size large) and haven't had to replace it yet...The stuff works so well very little goes a long way, unlike Hoppes.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Seems kind of a shame ... the Gunzilla works so well. In looking back at this onslaught of sinusitis, I've been trying to pin it down to the last time I cleaned anything, and it just seems that I did clean the H&K and the Model 66 right around the time it started ...... then this mornings issues.

I'm going to wait until my nose clears up, then try the Hoppes, if no problems I'll try the Gunzilla again and see if I have some bottles of really great gun cleaner to dispose of.

VIP Member
    Any other symptoms? Has your nose or ears started to glow or anything like that?
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Any other symptoms? Has your nose or ears started to glow or anything like that?
    Not any more than they usually do.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    Not any more than they usually do.
    That is a good sign. The fact is, all solvents contain some volatile organic compounds (VOC). Man made or not they can affect indoor air quality and contribute to certain health problems. Many VOC's are made from plants. Some solvents are classified as low VOC and some like Alkyd paints can contain very high VOC levels.

Try opening a window or cleaning the guns outdoors. That should help.
    Last edited by SIGP250; September 15th, 2010 at 03:30 PM.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Good advice, SIG, thanks.

I've been using it for a few months now...no health issues, and the plastic tooth brush I use is still in fine shape...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Like any organic material, you could easily have an allergic reaction to it. If your sinuses are irritated, I'd recommend a test: don't use the stuff, let the irritation clear up, and the expose yourself to the fumes for a couple of minutes. Don't handle it. See what happens.

I noticed after I started using Gunzilla I tend to go online and buy more gun stuff,I think I'm allergic
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

! ^^

- Cabelas
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links