How do you protect your hands from gun cleaning solutions?

This is a discussion on How do you protect your hands from gun cleaning solutions? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by cammo girl They are blue. Are these crappy ones or what? Are the paint dept ones worth three times the price? Now ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you protect your hands from gun cleaning solutions?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    They are blue.

Are these crappy ones or what? Are the paint dept ones worth three times the price? Now I am wondering about this choice.
    No, Nitrile gloves come in different sizes and in different mil thickness's. Most are disposable (exam gloves) but some that are used in labs and for stuff like plant potting? are heavier. I would think what you bought will work fine. If they are too thick, you won't be able to feel the gun and you may as well then wear mittens.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

2. Remove Ads

I have a box of those latex gloves you can find in any auto parts store (ie, NAPA). While not very tough, they do keep the bulk of the chemicals off the hands. Liberal use of microfiber cloths also soak up 98% of the crud before it ever reaches the hands. Works well for me.

Although, those nitrile glooves folks are mentioning (above) look great: Nitrile 6mm disposable gloves.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    A bore brush on a rod can be dipped into a bottle of solvent ...
    Doing this w/o cleaning the brush will contaminate your bottle of solvent.

I feel like I am work reading this string! Pitch the latex for the reason stated. The nitrile gloves come in in different thinkness from 4mm to 8mm. The 4mm will tear very easy and will break down fast depending on the solvents being used. We have had very good luck with the 6 and 8mm at work. They will break down, but do last longer than the 4mm. If you want to know the brand name of the gloves we use, let me know and I will follow up on Monday. I am a recent convert to Gunzilla also. Pitch the solvents, and get some of this stuff.

Mechanic secret: wash your hands with a good bar soap, but do not rinse. The soap will create a barrier to keep the grime out of the folds of your skin. they do make creams that do the same thing. Granger's carry a couple of different products that work well. When you wash your hair, and its lathered well, scrub your scalp with the intentions to clean under your nails. Sounds gross, but it works great. I am a 30yr aircraft mechanic and still use these two tips that my Grandfather taught me when I was young in the barn.

Distinguished Member
    Reporting in:

I spent about an hour+ with hands in these inexpensive one time use blue nitriles from Walmart (Ansell brand). Handling the parts was easy, no dexterity problems. I used spray Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber, safe for synthetics. Plus the TW25B and Rem oil.

My hands and nails stayed perfectly clean. A few nails got white looking, my nail polish turned cloudy colored. And by the end of the session I had a gaping hole in one of the palms, but I think that this came from trying to rack the slide at the end of the cleaning when it was slippery, not from the solvent.

So, THANKYOU for the recommendation on the nitriles.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If dipping my bare hands into buckets of MEK didn't do me in, gun oils and cleaners doesn't stand a chance. I don't concern myself about it too much, just try not to be too sloppy. But use the gloves if it is a concern; they'll help out. It's too hot and humid here in S. FL. Latex gloves fill up with sweat!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Try nitrile gloves. The blue gloves (kinda like latex) they hold up better to solvents.

+1. The cheap gloves fall apart with brake clean/Gunscrubber

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Yep, that's why Nitrile gloves are the choice of 8 out of 10 leading proctologists.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nitrile-Ex...i_sku=11079849
    pretty crappy joke.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If dipping my bare hands into buckets of MEK didn't do me in, gun oils and cleaners doesn't stand a chance. I don't concern myself about it too much, just try not to be too sloppy. But use the gloves if it is a concern; they'll help out. It's too hot and humid here in S. FL. Latex gloves fill up with sweat!
    Same here and I do miss having MEK around. Lots of new guys in the shop are scared to death of oil.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Any of the highly "aromatic", brake-cleaner type solvents will do a number on painted nails, not to mention stripping oils out of the skin. Gloves are good; you might also try the Slip 2000 products as they are water-based.
    I don't paint my nails so I don't use anything on my hands when I clean my guns...I usually just wash my hands after...if my wife smells Hoppes #9 on me and makes me.

I also use nitrile gloves, Mr. Clean namebrand, even though I use gunzilla....I use weapon shield from time to time also. I know they are non-toxic but hey better safe than sorry esp. w/my little girl around now
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

+1 for nitrile gloves. One thing to look out for is to get the right size for your hands. Using gloves that are too small is not fun.

If you can't find any nitrile gloves near you for a good price (try to buy them in 100 or 200 packs), Amazon has a variety of different ones in different sizes. I like the Dynarex Black Nitrile Exam Gloves, Heavy-Duty ones.

I don't.

I've been marinating my hands in Hoppe's No. 9 for so long that I'd already be a goner if it was hazardous. Of course I'm sporting this new prehensile tail...
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I use latex gloves whenever I clean with solvents. And after I am done cleaning, I use pumice soap and water to wash my hands.

Just use froglube, that will fix your damaged hands and clean/lube your guns.

Thats all the protection you need for your hands.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links