Question for Sig owners

This is a discussion on Question for Sig owners within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I am going to be buying a Sig 229 in the very near future. As far as cleaning and lube, how often does the gun ...

Thread: Question for Sig owners

Question for Sig owners

I am going to be buying a Sig 229 in the very near future. As far as cleaning and lube, how often does the gun need to be cleaned and how finiky is it about lubricant.
    I am a Glock guy always clean the barrel after shooting, but do not do a detail clean until after a couple of trips to the range. I lube the Glock per the MFG instructions (not much) and it runs great.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    That Sig wont be any different than you Glock as far as maintenance goes.

Clean it when you shoot it. Field strip it and wipe everything off. Lube it sparingly and call it good.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Being both a Glock and a SIG owner, I'd say pay more attention to the barrel of the SIG for cleaning, and more attention to lube in the slide rails as compared to your standard Glock maintenance. Everything else pretty much goes the same.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Being both a Glock and a SIG owner, I'd say pay more attention to the barrel of the SIG for cleaning, and more attention to lube in the slide rails as compared to your standard Glock maintenance. Everything else pretty much goes the same.
    Total agreement from me. I field strip mine about every two weeks. Between range use and primary carry it sometimes amazes me the the crud I find. I pretty much blame it on practice ammo.

Sigs will also want more grease on the rails then what I've seen reccomended for glocks.

Thanks guys. I 've started using Gunzilla for all lubes on the Glock. Is that enough, for the Sig, or does it need something more?

Senior Moderator
    Gunzilla works good in the six that I own.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Total agreement from me. I field strip mine about every two weeks. Between range use and primary carry it sometimes amazes me the the crud I find. I pretty much blame it on practice ammo.

Sigs will also want more grease on the rails then what I've seen recommended for Glocks.
    To sort of reiterate the slide rail lubrication, and to follow up on the Gunzilla. I swear by the Gunzilla for almost everything. My one and only hold out is where my SIG comes in. The slide rails may need something more or they may not. Personally, I use something extra on the slide rails of my P220 since the stainless slide started peeling some of the finish of my alloy frame. May not be the same for everyone or every pistol, but the term 'grease' may be more applicable to the SIG pistols and the slide rails even though I completely trust and depend on Gunzilla for all my other CLP endeavors.

I use slide glide. Or mobil 1. Or bacon grease. It's all good.
    I'm your Huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by ks kid View Post
    Thanks guys. I 've started using Gunzilla for all lubes on the Glock. Is that enough, for the Sig, or does it need something more?
    SIG - Simple Is Good...It's not any more complicated than the Glock....doesn't require anything special. It's a combat pistol....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member
    I use WeaponShield on my SIG. I field strip it after every range session and clean it and I'm good to go for the next.

The SIG Sauer website has some videos of how to clean and lube one of their pistols. You might want to check it out.

I'd say Sigs like to run "wetter" than Glocks. I've always used either CLP or TW25B. A coating of lube on the barrel that is just thick enough so that you leave a fingerprint when you touch it, and a nice coating on the rails.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMick View Post
    I'd say Sigs like to run "wetter" than Glocks. I've always used either CLP or TW25B. A coating of lube on the barrel that is just thick enough so that you leave a fingerprint when you touch it, and a nice coating on the rails.
    +1 I've always run my SIGs a little "wet". Actually had some DNFs in my early SIG days, slopped some lube in it right at the range bench, and that instantly solved the problem.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    SIG slide rails need lube; if you run them dry you will wear out the anodizing far too fast. Use grease. I love Brian Enos's Slide Glide for all my SIGly goodness.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Links