oil vs. grease

oil vs. grease

This is a discussion on oil vs. grease within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; What is everyone’s opinion on using grease vs. oil or a combination of the two? Do you use it differently on handgun vs. a rifle? ...

View Poll Results: Grease vs. Oil

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Only Oil

14 35.00%
  • Only Grease

1 2.50%
  • Combination of Grease and Oil

23 57.50%
  • Something Diff

2 5.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil vs. grease

oil vs. grease

What is everyone’s opinion on using grease vs. oil or a combination of the two? Do you use it differently on handgun vs. a rifle?

I personally use oil on the barrel and grease (miltech) on the slides of my pistols and oil on the barrel of and grease on the bolt of my rifles. Would anyone make any suggestions or critiques on this combination that I’m using??

I’m still new and learning a lot about everything, especially the maintenance part of things so any and all input is greatly appreciated. I only recently started using the miltech also, just found out about it.

I use both. I grease it, and then periodically oil it during range sessions.
    I'm your Huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by J0eyg86 View Post
    What is everyone’s opinion on using grease vs. oil or a combination of the two? Do you use it differently on handgun vs. a rifle?

I personally use oil on the barrel and grease (miltech) on the slides of my pistols and oil on the barrel of and grease on the bolt of my rifles. Would anyone make any suggestions or critiques on this combination that I’m using??

I’m still new and learning a lot about everything, especially the maintenance part of things so any and all input is greatly appreciated. I only recently started using the miltech also, just found out about it.
    I voted combination due to your explanation. For the most part, and under regular circumstances.........oil or a CLP product meets or exceeds my expectations. Grease I'll only use on my bolt action center fire rifles under extreme or adverse conditions. Very low temps and very low humidity. I seldom use grease, but I do on occasion. Never see the need on any of my pistols for grease. IMO....grease really isn't involved in regular maintenance of the firearm........it's used in specific circumstances. If I were to live in Alaska or Norway, I'm sure I'd be using grease a lot more than I do. Another thing.......if your firearms have loose tolerances, a grease may be better than oil. Either one should be used sparingly. I like oils that permeate and leave a thin film on the surface. Grease never penetrates, it's a surface only treatment. Although most greases are petroleum based....grease and oil do not mix well.

Grease, if it gets into the firing pin area during cold weather conditions, has been known to thicken to the point it prevents the firing pin to strike with the proper force to detonate the primer. Under the same conditions, it can slow the cycling operation of the slide, causing feeding problems. The rule of thumb I follow is to use a good oil like CLP just about all the time. Rem Lube is also good. Over lubrication can be worse than no lube as it can collect debris. A light film on all surfaces that make contact is the perscribed method. Weapon should be checked every couple of weeks even if not used because oil can evaporate. I have and do use awhite grease called Tetra when I will be running my guns hot due to excessive shooting, ( think 500 rounds in an hour), as it doesn't evaporate when things heat up. It does however seem to collect and hold burnt powder residue more. With normal or little use, a good oil applied on a regular basis should serve you well.

what is a CLP?? What does that stand for??

Quote Originally Posted by J0eyg86 View Post
    what is a CLP?? What does that stand for??
    Clean, Lube, Protect in a nutshell. One product does all.

I've used a lot of different gun lube products over the years, and I've found that if you keep your guns clean and well lubricated, you really shouldn't have any lubricant related problems.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I use Breakfree clp but fixing to make the switch to Gunzilla I think clp is the way to go.

I was introduced to Breakfree, which is the same as CLP, in the Marines as the only authorized cleaning agent and lube for the m16. We also used it on machine guns in a pinch. I was impressed enough with it that I still use it, and see no need to switch now. I am sure there are other lubes out there just as good, but I'll stick with what has worked for me.

GM
    I have tried many different; nowadays I use only Eezox and Militec-1.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Here in the desert, the high temps encourage oils to evaporate or to migrate with gravity. On reciprocating surfaces (slide rails), I use Brian Enos' "Slide Glide", and BreakFree, Slip2000 or MiliTec on rotating or simple bearing surfaces. Seems to work out well.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I like FP-10. Never tried grease....

On M&P's I've used Slide Glide (for about 3 years) on rails,slide,sear and drop safety. I use oil (Weaponshield) on the recoil spring and for a quick anti rust external wipe.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Oil only for all firearms that I currently own.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Been using Gunzilla lately. Nice to have no smell but haven't used it long enough to determine if it's up to all the hype. CLP and Hoppes before that. I still apply a thin coat of grease to slide rails. I like to see lubricant there and all oils "go away" too quickly. To be honest, I've never had any problems with any brand of grease or oil used, including synthetic motor oils.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links