Stuck round in 1911 barrel, help needed.

This is a discussion on Stuck round in 1911 barrel, help needed. within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I have a feeling this might be a painful process, but bear with me please. A friend (who is not really a gun guy) called ...

Thread: Stuck round in 1911 barrel, help needed.

I have a feeling this might be a painful process, but bear with me please. A friend (who is not really a gun guy) called last night with a problem. On his almost new Springfield GI 1911 (under 100 rounds), somehow he get a round stuck in the chamber, and the slide will not rack. I tried to get as much info as possible from him, and what he said is this. That he chambered a round from a full mag, and everything worked fine. He then racked the slide again, ejecting the first round, and chambering a second round (I don't know why he did it, he just did). After the second round was chambered the slide refused to move. He was trying it with the thumb safety off too, first thing I asked. He said the slide basically won't move at all, so he can't take the slide stop out and just remove the slide.

So currently he has a C&L 1911 that he can't unload. And I am stumped. It doesn't help that he is in Ohio and I am in Hawaii, so any of you 1911 guru's have any idea at all what could cause this? I appreciate the help. By the way, he said ammo was some variety of Hornady JHP's.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    He is going to have to be super extremely careful trying to get that unstuck.

What I would do first is make the pistol safe and unable to fire.

Here is how to do that.

ALWAYS KEEPING THE MUZZLE POINTED IN A KNOWN SAFE DIRECTION.

> Remove the grips just to get them out of the way.

> Pop out the mainspring housing pin.

> Slide down and out the mainspring housing.

Once the mainspring housing is out there is no longer any hammer spring power to power the cocked hammer forward.

From there. Might as well just remove the remainder of the frame internals.

With the hammer still to the rear wiggle the thumb safety out - remove the grip safety, hammer, & the sear and disconnector.

Since the slide won't move to the rear at all....that means that he cannot slide out the firing pin stop to remove the firing pin and firing pin spring which would makes things a whole lot safer still.

Then what he can do. is point the firearm in a safe direction & just for the heckovit determine if the slide will now move.

If NOT....

Keep fingers and body parts clear of the muzzle.

Use the back of a BIC pen to depress the recoil spring plug and then carefully (with the firearm muzzle facing away from him) swivel the barrel bushing to the right.

It will be TOUGH to get that barrel bushing to move without the slide being slightly pressed to the rear but, it will move.

Might want to get some oil in there first.

That will free up the recoil spring & then he should be able to take his time and worry the barrel bushing out the front of the slide.
    Use a thin piece of Brass or anything non marring & softer than Steel to help pry the bushing off the barrel & out of the slide.

That will allow some degree of free movement to the barrel and then the slide should move far enough to the rear to pop out the slide stop or at least get the firing pin out.

Saturate the rails - the barrel hood - the slide stop pin etc....and then start tapping the slide with a plastic mallet.
    It will move.

This is just all I can think of that would be a safe method in order to try SOMETHING - since in all my years I've never heard of this particular malfunction.

Naturally I won't assume any responsibility or be held liable for my suggestions since I have absolutely no control over his skill level or expertise. If he cannot comfortably follow my exact suggestion then he should seek the help of a qualified local gunsmith.
    DO NOT MAIL THE FIREARM TO ANYBODY OR BACK TO SPRINGFIELD IN THAT CONDITION.
    HE MUST WARN ANY GUNSMITH WITH REGARD TO THE FIREARM CONDITION BEFORE HE HANDS IT TO HIM.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Yeah, I really have no idea about this malfunction, and that process is beyond the scope of what I would tell him to do, this is his first gun. I did tell him to call Springfield, as I'm sure they would be interested to hear about it, although he wouldn't be able to mail it to them since its a loaded gun. I know of a gunsmith or two back in Ohio I might recommend him to, but I'm waiting to hear what SA tells him.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member
    Probably not the best suggestion and this assumes the barrel is clear and there is only one round in the chamber, etc., etc.,..........

Is he in a position where he can go outside and fire the single round in a safe direction?

At least that way it'll be unloaded and can go back to Springfield if required.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Administrator
    Well, if he is new to the 1911 and he did either a field strip or a complete disassembly before racking the slide then I suspect he messed up his reassembly.

Though I don't know what. Possibly he missed the barrel link when he reinserted the slide stop or put the recoil spring guide in upside down.

That is a mystery for now.

Take it out to the range or drive to a remote area and fire it. It may cycle on its own, which would solve the problem.

Administrator
    I thought of that first but, what if he goofed up his assembly if he field stripped before this happened.
    He he possibly missed the barrel link then he'll split his frame rails if he touches off a round.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Probably not the best suggestion and this assumes the barrel is clear and there is only one round in the chamber, etc., etc.,..........

Is he in a position where he can go outside and fire the single round in a safe direction?

At least that way it'll be unloaded and can go back to Springfield if required.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I thought of the trying to shoot it, but figured with the face its not functioning at all, something inside needs to not be in the right spot. So that didn't sound like the best option to me. He bought it last time I was home on leave, and I gave him a basic run through at the range and showed him a basic field strip and watched him do it a couple times, he seemed to have it down ok, but its possible that is where the screw up was.

I don't have a 1911 to experiment with at the moment, but if the recoil spring guide is in upside down, if he takes out the plug and spring, the guide probably wouldn't move around, whereas if it was in correctly it would be freee to move around, right?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I'm gonna ask if he has the thumb safety engaged,the slide won't cycle,after ejec ting and chambering the second round he may of either accidently or intentionally engaged the safety
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm gonna ask if he has the thumb safety engaged,the slide won't cycle,after ejec ting and chambering the second round he may of either accidently or intentionally engaged the safety
    That was my initial reaction, and he insisted that the thumb safety is not engaged, I even went to far as to make sure he expressed it Barney style, as in, that it was down, and he pushed down on it to confirm.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

pshhhhh......1911's......*runs away*

Administrator
    Give him my number, I can meet him at the shop tonight if he wants.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsored Links