Blank firing M1 Garand malfunctioning. Any ideas?

This is a discussion on Blank firing M1 Garand malfunctioning. Any ideas? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I recently had the honor of working on some M1s set up for blank firing for an Honor Guard. They were malfunctioning and I offered ...

I recently had the honor of working on some M1s set up for blank firing for an Honor Guard. They were malfunctioning and I offered to look at them. They were dirty and gummed up from years of dirty blanks. After a good cleaning one still wouldn't function. All used the same lot of blanks, they were cleaned like a recruit in boot camp did it. I didn't have time to switch components between guns. I did notice that the crimps on blanks fired in this rifle didn't seem to open as much as they did in the other guns. Could it be a back pressure issue?

I would like to get this rifle functioning, it's for a good cause. Any ideas?
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I'm gonna say I have no experience firing blanks out of M-1's, but I do have plenty with AK's, M-16s/M-4s, M-249s and M240B's. Usually when they don't work firing blanks it is because the BFA isn't tight enough on the muzzle, and allows too much pressure to escape out of the rifle, not leaving enough to cycle the action.

I don't know what kind of system they are using to try to block the pressure, but that would be my guess. IF, it will fire one round, and then that round has to be manually ejected sounds like it needs more oompfh to move the bolt back.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Ditto what Buckeye said - check the BFA (though I'm not familiar with what type they use on the ceremonial rifles, either). With the external BFAs, it is almost always a matter of tightening them up...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

The BFA is just an extended muzzle cover with a hole drilled in it, there's nothing to shoot loose like the AR/M4/M16/SAW style.

They worked for Veteran's Day, except for the problem child so I call it mission accomplished. At least next time I see them I'll have time to swap some parts between guns to see if I can isolate a problem.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

trouble firing M-1

We use the M-1 for Honor Guard as well. If the weapon is clean and in good shape, then I would suspect the blank adapter.
    Check the hole. Get a number 18 drill bit. That is the size it should be. We have had trouble with hole sizes in the past.
    Thats what our field documentation said when we got the weapons and it was right.

What blanks are in use with this M1? It's dangerous to assume a #18 drill bit would work with any and all M1 blanks in the market

Brachus

I have no idea what the blanks are. They were already on clips when I saw them and I didn't think to check headstamps.

NRA Certifed Instructor

Cool M1 and blanks

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I recently had the honor of working on some M1s set up for blank firing for an Honor Guard. They were malfunctioning and I offered to look at them. They were dirty and gummed up from years of dirty blanks. After a good cleaning one still wouldn't function. All used the same lot of blanks, they were cleaned like a recruit in boot camp did it. I didn't have time to switch components between guns. I did notice that the crimps on blanks fired in this rifle didn't seem to open as much as they did in the other guns. Could it be a back pressure issue?

I would like to get this rifle functioning, it's for a good cause. Any ideas?
    As an American Legion Honor Guard member, and armorer of post 102, I might be able to help you. We have 16 Garands, which we use in ceremonies
    on a regular basis. My first suggestion to you, would be to be certain that the gas hole (just inside the muzzle) is clear of carbon.
    Be sure that your rifles are properly GREASED, as it is mandatory for the weapon to cycle properly.
    Tim

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Only shot M1 blanks once, back in the '70s while on an Air Force funeral detail for a deceased Retiree. The NCO in charge said if they misfired to fake it. All did except mine. Kind of embarrassing. It was my first funeral ever and I was sweating bullets under my blues.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links