What is a substitute for Birchwood Casey Synthetic Safe Gun Scrubber?

This is a discussion on What is a substitute for Birchwood Casey Synthetic Safe Gun Scrubber? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Can anyone lead me to an equivalent product? I have had a hard time finding this all of a sudden. Maybe since it is hunting ...

Thread: What is a substitute for Birchwood Casey Synthetic Safe Gun Scrubber?

Distinguished Member

What is a substitute for Birchwood Casey Synthetic Safe Gun Scrubber?

Can anyone lead me to an equivalent product? I have had a hard time finding this all of a sudden. Maybe since it is hunting season everybody bought extra to bring to camp.....?

No substitute product jumped out from the shelves at me. I checked several stores that should have had it. (since it is hunting season I could either not get help or the help was part time and was not well versed).

MUST be synthetic safe.

Thanks in advance. Even good online source ok.

2. Remove Ads

Worth looking into...
    http://www.gunzilla.us/
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'll second the Gunzilla (without link). I have in the past used the BC gun scrubber Blaster aerosol for blasting my 10/22 actions (quick without a formal break down). IMO...the BC products dry things out so much, it takes at least twice the amount of time or more to re-lube. BC products also worry me on any stock surface be it plastic, rubber, fiberglass, or sealed/laminated wood. Metals, or alloys only in my book. Gunzilla is my answer to everything now. Not a plug....just the truth. Take that for what it's worth. Been using a lot of different products over a span of some 25+ years with my own firearms. I'm only looking back now in retrospect, my experiences, and in response to your question.

I've been playing with automotive spray solvents since I have a hunch that some of them are much the same stuff. I'm finding that Berryman's Electric Motor Cleaner, commonly available in any automotive supply store, accomplishes the same thing as Gun Scrubber and costs significantly less. It's just the thing for an initial "hosing out" of an AR 15 before detail cleaning. Looking at the front of the aerosol can, it says: "Dissolves dirt, grease, and oil - non-staining and non-corrosive." It is also non flammable. In effect, it accomplishes the same thing with exactly the same cleaning action as Gun Scrubber. Cover both a can of Gun Scrubber and a can of Berryman's Electric Motor Cleaner so the user can't tell which he is using to clean his guns and he will not be able to observe any difference.

It is not suppose to be used on plastics but I've repeatedly hosed down the frame of the Kel Tec P3AT with no observable ill effects. If it damages a gun I've not experienced it, having used it on steel, stainless steel, aluminum alloy, and plastic. You're on your own if you experiment with it but seems to work fine, is more generally available, and saves money.

Link:http://www.berrymanproducts.com/Prod...echnician.aspx

I've also tried their B-12 Chemtool in the aerosol can which also works well.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Plus, if Gunzilla happens to leak while in your gun case, etc., it won't stink up everything.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links