Defensive Carry banner

Night time wipe-down

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  OldVet 
#1 ·
Currently I'm just using a plain silicon cloth to wipe down my LCP every night. Should I be treating it with anything, or should that, with a weekly to bi-weekly cleaning be enough?

#5 ·
I only clean and oil after every session or after 6 or more months of no use. However, whatever I use as my daily carry gun, I do oil it weekly. After every oiling and/or cleaning session, I always wipe the exterior of the guns and magazines with silicone cloth. I will also use silicone cloth whenever I see that the gun's metal finish is also exposed to the elements, which usually happens when I conceal carry w/ certain holsters.

#6 ·
I could understand an everyday wipe Dow if it was a pretty gun with a nice blued finish. But the finish on these new guns are ugly, lacking any luster that would benefit from this.

#8 ·
I wouldn't call wiping it down everyday overkill--I mean how much time are you really taking--but not necessary. A carried "blued" firerarm is definitely more subceptable to damage from sweat and the likes, but most of the advanced finishes are pretty much immune.

I stick to the "as needed" approach, which varies from gun to gun, depending on finish and usage. If it needs a wipedown/cleaning, it gets one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.