Clean 'em once every decade. - Page 2

Clean 'em once every decade.

This is a discussion on Clean 'em once every decade. within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by medicineball Old vet may not be a gun cleaner, but he's a natural and fluid writer! Thanks for a good story - ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clean 'em once every decade.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by medicineball View Post
    Old vet may not be a gun cleaner, but he's a natural and fluid writer! Thanks for a good story - my experience is the same!
    Good guess. I am, in fact, a frustrated, unpublished writer of fiction. The nice thing about fiction is it's all a lie. The trick is to make the lie believeable!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

All is true. I wipe my blued guns down only after use, and sometimes there is a long wait in between times I use them again.

VIP Member
    Many moons ago ('70s), one of the guys who maintained the tail guns on B-52s ran my old (really, really old) .22 rifle through the hot dip/ hot oil cleaning process they used on the fifty cals. That rifle has never had a speck of rust since. Thank you, Uncle Sam!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Thanks for the little story. Reminds me of my father in law. He loves his guns, shoots them all the time, and hasn't cleaned a single one of them ever. He had me clean them all this year cause some of them were getting pretty gunked up from lots of shooting and he doesn't know how to break them down. But all those guns have always shot just fine with a few exceptions.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I spray mine down with a little WD-40 for long term storage and forget it.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i shoot em till they puke...last glock cleaning was about 5 months and probably close to 4000 rounds including a very intense training session...ive burned 1800 rounds in 2 days training without an issue also...

the .22's are a little fussier and require some cleaning to make em run smooth and jam free...but the rifles, shotguns and pistols do just fine without sparkling smiles...

i do enjoy an occassional sit down, teardown cleaning session...but it usually corresponds to some guns that need a good scrubbing and some free time i dont know what to do with...

my remington 1100 sat in a closet in the basement for about 10 years without any more than a wipedown when i remembered it was there...the g96 gun treatment did a great job of preserving it and she still shoots and looks like a dream....

VIP Member
    I used to use WD-40 religously until I was pheasant hunting in a light snow and my Win 1200 barrel started rusting. Kind of lost faith in it. Tends to get gummy also. I imagine it's okay for storage, but I wouldn't use it on a gun in use.

Ex Member
    I clean my weapons every 2-3 outings EXCEPT for my 10/22. I bought it USED in 1980 and put 2000-3000 rounds a year through it. It has N-E-V-E-R been cleaned.

Ok, lets stir the pot.

I ran across this yesterday while researching Melonite finish. What are the thoughts on this? I say it had to be gross negligence.
    http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/rusty-t...-got-rust.html
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Yep, that looks like extreme neglect of the worst kind.

Unfortunately, my favorite gun, a CZ452 Mannlicher model, likes to rust. Since I'm gone at 6 months at a pop, each time I come back, expecting to find nothing but a rust trail in it's storage area. So for, no major pitting, but I guess she's like any beautiful girl, and needs more attention.

I had the same problem with a Mossberg Model 44 US.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Good guess. I am, in fact, a frustrated, unpublished writer of fiction. The nice thing about fiction is it's all a lie. The trick is to make the lie believeable!
    My first wife made the lie believable,,oh,we were talking about guns,sorry,I went off topic

I'm thinking that rusty Glock was used with some sort of corrosive primed ammunition, put away uncleaned, and then neglected for a long time.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links