Defensive Carry banner

Clean 'em once every decade.

6K views 37 replies 30 participants last post by  nikrnic66 
#1 ·
I get tickled when I see threads where some talk about opening up the armory and cleaning all the guns on a weekly basis. I suppose if they're storing their firearms in the open ... in a sandstorm ... in the tropical jungle, there may be some merit to that.

My son mentioned going shooting this Friday to zero in one of his ARs. The last time we went, he broke out his M1A and this old man spanked his young butt. So this time I thought I'd dig out my old Rem 700 ADL .30-06.

Now for a little background; the last time I used this rifle was 1992. Came home from a hunting trip and heard the wife screaming inside for help. She'd fallen down the stairs, sprained one ankle, and the other foot was bent sideways and backwards. Needless to say, she'd been lying there for hours and couldn't get up (laugh now). If I cleaned the gun later, I don't remember it. Chaos ruled at the time.

In 1993 I moved to sunny FL and the only time my beloved ADL saw daylight was in a post-robbery inventory. Then it went back into hiding until today, when I broke it out of its hibernation.

This rifle hasn't had a drop of oil in 18 years--no weekly cleanings, no silicon-impregnated bags, no super-duper preservatives, just stuffed in a gun case and locked away.

"This is a job for Gunzilla," I said. Ran a soggy patch thru the bore and set it aside. Wiped down and cleaned up the screws, and bolt. Ran a dry patch through the bore and other than a bit of green patina from the 18-year-old copper residue, clean as a whistle. Nary a speck of rust anywhere.

Gee, I almost hate to dirty it up except I feel junior is due another shooting lesson. Then it will be off to its secure hidy-hole until the next cleaning session--some 15 years down the road.:rolleyes:

See less See more
#2 ·
Guns are not as fragile as some think.My old man (1913-1986) always carried guns.When he passed,there were two pump shotguns behind truck seats,been there about 8 years,revolvers in drawers,glove compartments,semi autos stuck here and there.I saw him clean a gun one time,just once.All these guns had been fired many times and left to sit.We fired all of them after he passed.All we did was make sure there were no obstructions in the barrel.Dust covered,old ammo,etc. None of the guns missed a beat.I laugh when I hear people talk about pocket lint,and dust,guns sweating in holsters etc.I clean mine after I shoot,that is all.

#33 ·
I laugh when I hear people talk about pocket lint,and dust,guns sweating in holsters etc.I clean mine after I shoot,that is all.
Main issue I've heard concerning pocket lint is jamming up the mag. I believe I read it here about an officer's weapon misfiring due to said jammed mag from pocket lint and the Captain ordered every officer's service weapon cleaned and checked.

#3 ·
Treat them well, but they do not have to be babied. I only clean them if I use them...usually.
I think one or twice in my life, i have emptied the safe and cleaned everything...it was because I had lots of extra time and I was curious about what was hiding in the back of the safe.:yup:

Reactions: gasmitty
#5 ·
This only works if you don't shoot it a lot. My mom sent her Ruger Mark I with my sister last time we went to the range. Dang thing jammed up (feeding problems) about every 3rd round.....come to find out it probably had a half inch of gunk in there.....
When we got back mom said she probably hadn't cleaned it since she got married (30 years ago)

I don't baby my guns, but IF they *need* cleaning I do it. Sheesh!!

#6 ·
My dad and I shoot a lot together (went today), and he uses a special round to clean all of his guns. Its the first round he shoots and he wont tell me were he buys them, but I know they are special, because his guns never fail and never rust. We were shooting his 8mm mauser he just got and I offered to clean it when we were done, he passed on the offer and said "I'll shoot a cleaning round through it next time I'm out". I have got to find those rounds, life would be so much easier.

#16 ·
Good guess. I am, in fact, a frustrated, unpublished writer of fiction. The nice thing about fiction is it's all a lie. The trick is to make the lie believeable!

Reactions: retired badge 1
#8 ·
LOL!
Thanks for the post! Seriously. Best chuckle I've had all day. I can relate to all of it.
Keep up the good work! LOL!

Reactions: nikrnic66
#9 ·
I grew up here in WV, and in a lot of it, guns are tools for work around the farm and in the woods. There are many of these guns that are shot and nary see a cleaning for years and years. they are made to be used, not babied to death. Very good post.

#10 ·
I agree that most guns don't need to be babied and, for the most part I keep it simple myself. A couple passes with a bore snake and a wipe down with a clean rag after a range session. Sometimes only after every other session.

Once in a while I just need to "Clean my guns". This is a therapeutic thing. I will dedicate an afternoon to dis assembling, cleaning, checking everything over and possibly even a little performance/carry enhancement work. I usually have these urges at least once a year. It's cathartic

#13 ·
All of my guns usually get cleaned twice a year if I can swing it. It's usually how lazy afternoons/ evenings are spent on leave, I find it very relaxing, and it gives me a reason to break all of them out. My family also knows it is a good time to come shoot the crud with me, as I'll be there for a couple of hours, and in a rather relaxed state.

But, I also bought a full sized Mosin last time I was home, that I didn't even bother getting the cosmoline out of. I figured it has been fine for the past 60+ years, another year of cosmoline certainly won't do it any harm.

Gunzilla has definitely reduced the amount of time it takes to clean all of them though, I love that stuff.

#18 ·
Many moons ago ('70s), one of the guys who maintained the tail guns on B-52s ran my old (really, really old) .22 rifle through the hot dip/ hot oil cleaning process they used on the fifty cals. That rifle has never had a speck of rust since. Thank you, Uncle Sam!

Reactions: 5lima30ret
#19 ·
Thanks for the little story. Reminds me of my father in law. He loves his guns, shoots them all the time, and hasn't cleaned a single one of them ever. He had me clean them all this year cause some of them were getting pretty gunked up from lots of shooting and he doesn't know how to break them down. But all those guns have always shot just fine with a few exceptions.

#21 ·
i shoot em till they puke...last glock cleaning was about 5 months and probably close to 4000 rounds including a very intense training session...ive burned 1800 rounds in 2 days training without an issue also...

the .22's are a little fussier and require some cleaning to make em run smooth and jam free...but the rifles, shotguns and pistols do just fine without sparkling smiles...

i do enjoy an occassional sit down, teardown cleaning session...but it usually corresponds to some guns that need a good scrubbing and some free time i dont know what to do with...

my remington 1100 sat in a closet in the basement for about 10 years without any more than a wipedown when i remembered it was there...the g96 gun treatment did a great job of preserving it and she still shoots and looks like a dream....

#22 ·
I used to use WD-40 religously until I was pheasant hunting in a light snow and my Win 1200 barrel started rusting. Kind of lost faith in it. Tends to get gummy also. I imagine it's okay for storage, but I wouldn't use it on a gun in use.

#25 ·
Yep, that looks like extreme neglect of the worst kind.

#26 ·
Unfortunately, my favorite gun, a CZ452 Mannlicher model, likes to rust. Since I'm gone at 6 months at a pop, each time I come back, expecting to find nothing but a rust trail in it's storage area. So for, no major pitting, but I guess she's like any beautiful girl, and needs more attention.

I had the same problem with a Mossberg Model 44 US.

#28 ·
I'm thinking that rusty Glock was used with some sort of corrosive primed ammunition, put away uncleaned, and then neglected for a long time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.