Clean 'em once every decade.

Clean 'em once every decade.

This is a discussion on Clean 'em once every decade. within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I get tickled when I see threads where some talk about opening up the armory and cleaning all the guns on a weekly basis. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean 'em once every decade.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Talking Clean 'em once every decade.

I get tickled when I see threads where some talk about opening up the armory and cleaning all the guns on a weekly basis. I suppose if they're storing their firearms in the open ... in a sandstorm ... in the tropical jungle, there may be some merit to that.

My son mentioned going shooting this Friday to zero in one of his ARs. The last time we went, he broke out his M1A and this old man spanked his young butt. So this time I thought I'd dig out my old Rem 700 ADL .30-06.

Now for a little background; the last time I used this rifle was 1992. Came home from a hunting trip and heard the wife screaming inside for help. She'd fallen down the stairs, sprained one ankle, and the other foot was bent sideways and backwards. Needless to say, she'd been lying there for hours and couldn't get up (laugh now). If I cleaned the gun later, I don't remember it. Chaos ruled at the time.

In 1993 I moved to sunny FL and the only time my beloved ADL saw daylight was in a post-robbery inventory. Then it went back into hiding until today, when I broke it out of its hibernation.

This rifle hasn't had a drop of oil in 18 years--no weekly cleanings, no silicon-impregnated bags, no super-duper preservatives, just stuffed in a gun case and locked away.

"This is a job for Gunzilla," I said. Ran a soggy patch thru the bore and set it aside. Wiped down and cleaned up the screws, and bolt. Ran a dry patch through the bore and other than a bit of green patina from the 18-year-old copper residue, clean as a whistle. Nary a speck of rust anywhere.

Gee, I almost hate to dirty it up except I feel junior is due another shooting lesson. Then it will be off to its secure hidy-hole until the next cleaning session--some 15 years down the road.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Guns are not as fragile as some think.My old man (1913-1986) always carried guns.When he passed,there were two pump shotguns behind truck seats,been there about 8 years,revolvers in drawers,glove compartments,semi autos stuck here and there.I saw him clean a gun one time,just once.All these guns had been fired many times and left to sit.We fired all of them after he passed.All we did was make sure there were no obstructions in the barrel.Dust covered,old ammo,etc. None of the guns missed a beat.I laugh when I hear people talk about pocket lint,and dust,guns sweating in holsters etc.I clean mine after I shoot,that is all.

Treat them well, but they do not have to be babied. I only clean them if I use them...usually.
    I think one or twice in my life, i have emptied the safe and cleaned everything...it was because I had lots of extra time and I was curious about what was hiding in the back of the safe.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Do post back and let us know how the second spanking went!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

This only works if you don't shoot it a lot. My mom sent her Ruger Mark I with my sister last time we went to the range. Dang thing jammed up (feeding problems) about every 3rd round.....come to find out it probably had a half inch of gunk in there.....
    When we got back mom said she probably hadn't cleaned it since she got married (30 years ago)

I don't baby my guns, but IF they *need* cleaning I do it. Sheesh!!
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

My dad and I shoot a lot together (went today), and he uses a special round to clean all of his guns. Its the first round he shoots and he wont tell me were he buys them, but I know they are special, because his guns never fail and never rust. We were shooting his 8mm mauser he just got and I offered to clean it when we were done, he passed on the offer and said "I'll shoot a cleaning round through it next time I'm out". I have got to find those rounds, life would be so much easier.

Old vet may not be a gun cleaner, but he's a natural and fluid writer! Thanks for a good story - my experience is the same!

LOL!
    Thanks for the post! Seriously. Best chuckle I've had all day. I can relate to all of it.
    Keep up the good work! LOL!

I grew up here in WV, and in a lot of it, guns are tools for work around the farm and in the woods. There are many of these guns that are shot and nary see a cleaning for years and years. they are made to be used, not babied to death. Very good post.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Sponsor
    I agree that most guns don't need to be babied and, for the most part I keep it simple myself. A couple passes with a bore snake and a wipe down with a clean rag after a range session. Sometimes only after every other session.

Once in a while I just need to "Clean my guns". This is a therapeutic thing. I will dedicate an afternoon to dis assembling, cleaning, checking everything over and possibly even a little performance/carry enhancement work. I usually have these urges at least once a year. It's cathartic
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

ks kid - WinClean

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    I agree that most guns don't need to be babied and, for the most part I keep it simple myself. A couple passes with a bore snake and a wipe down with a clean rag after a range session. Sometimes only after every other session.

Once in a while I just need to "Clean my guns". This is a therapeutic thing. I will dedicate an afternoon to dis assembling, cleaning, checking everything over and possibly even a little performance/carry enhancement work. I usually have these urges at least once a year. It's cathartic
    I agree. Sometimes it is just nice to sit down and get my mind off of everything. Cleaning my guns helps me do that.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

All of my guns usually get cleaned twice a year if I can swing it. It's usually how lazy afternoons/ evenings are spent on leave, I find it very relaxing, and it gives me a reason to break all of them out. My family also knows it is a good time to come shoot the crud with me, as I'll be there for a couple of hours, and in a rather relaxed state.

But, I also bought a full sized Mosin last time I was home, that I didn't even bother getting the cosmoline out of. I figured it has been fine for the past 60+ years, another year of cosmoline certainly won't do it any harm.

Gunzilla has definitely reduced the amount of time it takes to clean all of them though, I love that stuff.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I don't usually start to clean mine until my reloads start jamming but even then factory rounds work almost every time. I put anywhere from 500-1000 rounds between full cleanings

I am glad to hear I'm not alone.

On a related note, little bird told me that "Filthy 14" Pat Rogers' of EAG Tactical's 14.5" BCM AR15 carbine just hit 41,000+ rounds without being cleaned. Still shoots 2 moa.

Delicate little sensitive flower that it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links