Storing Guns

Storing Guns

This is a discussion on Storing Guns within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I see that people coat their guns in lube or something before long term storage. How long do you typically plan on storing it before ...

Thread: Storing Guns

Storing Guns

I see that people coat their guns in lube or something before long term storage.

How long do you typically plan on storing it before you go to these measures?

I would assume if the gun is going to be brought out soon it doesn't get treated this way. For instance, all of mine make it to the range every two month or so.
    Should i be coating them for storage?

Do you lube every part and wipe them down to remove excess?

Excuss the somewhat scatterbrained question. I just haven't thought about storage and don't want to do something to ruin my guns down the road.

I know this is from November but, I didn't see any replies so I thought I would...

This is just my opinion but, when I talk about long term storage I'm talking about a long term period like 6mths to a year or longer. I inherited my granddad's old browning sweet sixteen and a spare barrel when he passed. It came from my great-granddad originally and has been so used that the bluing is mostly warn off. For this reason I worry a bit about rust. The way I do mine, and let me preface this by saying that I'm just a country boy that has developed his own techniques. I take out said firearms, wipe out bore, action, and exterior (including wood) with a light coat of CLP and then return them to their nylon cases or gun-sock. The nylon cases don't quite get zipped all the way up for moisture issues. They are stored in a semi-climate controlled environment and I generally like to give them a wipe down every 6months or so... The only other thing that I do is to dry fire the shotguns to keep tension off of the springs. (I don't know if it makes any difference but, it makes me feel better.) Something else to think about is getting one of those packs of moisture dryer's like you put in closets or maybe saving desiccant packs to put in a cabinet if they're in one... I think some safe's come with dehumidifying rods in them for this as well... Anyway, this is just my two cents...
    "The way I figure it having a concealed gun is like wearing your seat belt. You hope that you never need it but, the one time you don't wear it and something happens you or your mourning family will be sorry you didn't have it."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I moved from WA state (low humidity) to FL (not so low humidity) in 1993, from being very active in shooting to not at all. My rifles and shotguns were cleaned, oiled, and placed in standard poly/foam gun cases prior to moving and sat in my closet here in humid FL until I recently broke them out a month or two ago. That's 17 years with nothing more than a wipedown with gun oil prior to going into non-use. No rust, no corrosion, no nothing. I cleaned the rifles; took them out and fired them; cleaned, oiled, and put them away in the cases until next time.

I've never done any exotic treatments to them, only the basic cleaning with Hoppes and a wipedown with Outers oil after use. They suffer from no more than fair wear and tear expected of hunting firearms that had their share of hard use. Maybe the closed cases offered additional protection (versus hanging in an exposed gunrack), but that's all I did. Take what you want from my experience.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I had a couple of shotguns I put up for a year or two. I whiped the bore and metal with a light coat of shotgun grease, put them in a gunsock, and set em aside. No problems when I pulled them out later.

Wow! I missed a thread?
    "Storing guns"
    Pretty simple question as to the methods. But....you'll run up against the many different ways folks personally take care of their guns. There's also the definition of storage. Long term or short term, and what others think 'long' and 'short' term is. I'm more than ready to give my personal opinion of gun storage and the basics, and my own definitions of 'long', and 'short' term storage.
    Rule #1 is to have a controlled environment for the storage. Usually this means a gun safe. The gun safe should be lined internally. If the gun safe is placed in a controlled environment, you won't need much in the way of internal control. Thing you need to realize is that a simple temperature drop could cause condensation. Temperature difference and time exposed.
    Rust is a gun's worst enemy. I'll bet that some of yours show visible signs of rust right now. If you don't think so.....I can point them out to you.
    I always take care of my guns the best I know how. I acclimate mine slowly in transition between temperatures exposed to and storage. I let my cold ones sweat it out over a period of time and cleaning.
    Short term? When properly cleaned and lubed in a controlled environment and placed into a controlled environment, I won't need to be concerned for six months to a year. Actually, it depends on how long I keep the door to my gun safe open. Think of it as a dry box, much like you'd find what you want to eat and close the fridge door before it cools the whole house. LOL!
    Long term? That would mean over a year for me. At times, I've preserved guns that I didn't think I'd be getting out of he controlled environment for a while. I'm no collector, and we shoot everything at least once in a years time. But in preservation, I make sure that any condensation is gone. Shooter's Choice Rust Prevent is a product I relied on for years for coating and protecting my long term storage guns. Spray on and wipe clean, then re-apply on all surfaces and let it form the protective barrier. All done in an environment relatively close to the storage environment.
    You can always clean a gun well and put it away. I just have an eye for rust.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I had a couple of shotguns I put up for a year or two. I whiped the bore and metal with a light coat of shotgun grease, put them in a gunsock, and set em aside. No problems when I pulled them out later.

That's what I do with my blue guns. Stainless doesn't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    That's what I do with my blue guns. Stainless doesn't need it.
    Stainless guns need the same care as blued guns but less often. Stainless steel could be considered as somewhat more sealed (less porous) than regular steel. I've seen plenty of rust on stainless guns. Stainless doesn't mean it's maintenance free. Plenty of folks think this is the case. What you want to avoid at any cost is rust in the barrel or the bore. Stainless steel is an outside treatment. Your bore will still be made of regular steel, otherwise the lands and groves couldn't be cut with conventional tooling. Stainless is only skin deep. Treat your stainless guns the same as you would your blued steel. Stainless doesn't mean forget it. Believe me.........removing rust from steel is rather simple if regular maintenance hasn't been adhered to. removing rust from stainless is somewhere you really don't want to go.

Links