Gunzilla vs Ballistol?

Gunzilla vs Ballistol?

This is a discussion on Gunzilla vs Ballistol? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Can anyone compare and contrast Gunzilla vs Ballistol for me as I don't know which one to try? I've heard excellent things about both. Any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gunzilla vs Ballistol?

Gunzilla vs Ballistol?

Can anyone compare and contrast Gunzilla vs Ballistol for me as I don't know which one to try? I've heard excellent things about both. Any and all posts wanted on this topic!!!

Thanks,.......
    JROD102

VIP Member
    I can only speak for Gunzilla.

1 It doesn't stink
    2 It cleans well.
    3 It seems to help lubricate afterward.

The one thing I think really sells it for me is that it seems to keep my rifle bore cleaner. It takes less patches down the barrel now after a range session. The first couple of cleanings seemed about the same as my old stuff, but now it takes less time to clean my barrel.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Your gonna find a buncha people on here that use Gunzilla,I use it on everything from pistols to my AR 15's,the AR15's get additional lubricant on the bolts since they like to run better when wet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have never used either, but this thread title sounds like one ******* horror flick!

Gunzilla is the only thing I use now for all of my firearms. I don't see any need for comparisons in the future.

I started using Ballistol about 2 months ago. It seems to leave surfaces smooth and slick even after wiped dry, and this seems to get better with repeated use. I haven't tried Gunzilla so I can't make a comparison but I do think highly of Ballistol.

VIP Member
    No experience with Ballistol but I have the Gunzilla and it works as a good cleaner. It seems to dry quickly, sorta like’ a stringent. I still have my mainstay of Break-Free (BF) as I’ve used it for nearly 40-years. Use to get it in gallon jugs for close to nothing but that was then. I use the Gunzilla to clean and follow with BF, which I find as a better lubricant/preservative. After reading 'wmhawth' comments I may well give the Ballistol a try. Nothing wrong with another bottle of toxic waste in the cabinet of guns ~

Most everything available today works pretty well in some form or another. About the only stuff I would stay away from is the harsh cleaners such as S&W bore scrubber - that stuff is nasty.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I haven't used Ballistol, currently have a bottle of Gunzilla and haven't been swept away with the product, considering its cost. I give it an A+ for the lack of smell, an average B - B+ for its cleaning and lubing qualities. I haven't found it any better or worse than: Mobil-one, ATF fluid, mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, bearing grease, 3-in-1 oil, a host of "gun" products and the eternal Hoppes #9, all of which I've used at one time or another. Each has performed satisfactorily. They all have their uses, their limitations, and their advantages. The only product that ever failed what I would consider a test of reasonable use is -- WD-40. While it will "displace water" as it's designed to do, it didn't offer the expected rust protection I want on a firearm, plus it gets gummy. If I were to drop my shotgun in the water, WD-40 would definitely clean the water out, but I'd follow up with a cleaning and an oil/rust preventative.

There's no magic elixar for firearms. Each product has its limitations. Each needs to be reapplied as needed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I'll vote for Gunzilla, because that's what I use.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I just bought a bottle of Gunzilla and it's quite good. Far less stink than Break Free and seems to work about as well.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Thanks to all for the "useful" comments, but I guess I'll just try both and see for myself. I'll report back on what I find out.

Thanks again,
    JROD102

Ballistol is a non petrolum product as is Gunzilla..Ballistol's ingredients are Isobutyl Alcohol and Oleic acid. (MSDS Sheet) It has been around since WWII.

I think the main differences are that Gunzilla is non Ionic ( dust and dirt are not attracted to it) and that Gunzilla’s unique formula breaks the bonds of the carbon molecules and turns them into a sludge-like liquid. It also neutralizes and cleans the residue left by corrosive primers.

hope that helps..
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

another pleased user of Gunzilla here

I use it exclusively
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

"Thread Jack"...........If your going to try Gunzilla and Ballistol you should also try Militec. I use it on all my weapons.

http://www.militec1.com/
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Is Gunzilla a protectant, a lube, a cleaner or all of the above??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links