Ruger LC9 Magazine Disconnect Removal

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 Magazine Disconnect Removal within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by azchevy GLOCK WE NEED A SINGLE STACK NINE!! ARE YOU LISTENING!!! Buy a Kahr CW9 or PM9. They are a Glock single ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Ruger LC9 Magazine Disconnect Removal

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    GLOCK WE NEED A SINGLE STACK NINE!! ARE YOU LISTENING!!!
    Buy a Kahr CW9 or PM9. They are a Glock single stack nine only vastly superior ergonomics. And this is from a Glock guy!

I wouldnt waste my money with something that needs a break in period as stated from the moonie manufacturer and complained about internet wide by owners , plus outside of Glocks I like to support American companies... especially one that manufactures weapons 3 hours from me
    The break in period applies for any gun in reality. Who would carry a gun without putting several hundred rounds through it to make sure it is reliable? Hell, my G23 had 3 FTF malfunctions int he first 300 rounds or so. None after that, so i guess it needed a break in period too. I can understand supporting American gun makers, but why exactly is Glock special? That statement strikes me as odd. And by the way, the Kahr is made in America.....so now I am really confused.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Buy a Kahr CW9 or PM9. They are a Glock single stack nine only vastly superior ergonomics. And this is from a Glock guy!
    Ah....no. No, they are not a "Glock single stack nine." Not even close.
    While the ergonomics are superior, the reliability trade-off is a deal killer in my book. If you ask me, the magazines are the achille's heel of the Kahr design, particularly their 9mm pistols. I have owned THREE Kahr 9mm pistols, and with each one, a loaded mag would have rounds pop out of it while in my pocket or even in a mag pouch. I would have occasional failures with bullets nosediving into the feed ramp, probably because of their crappy mag design.

I'm going to pick up an LC9 soon, as I'm sure it will function just fine, just like my LCP and my other Ruger firearms. And if it doesn't, Ruger will fix it free of charge, unlike having to deal with Kahr (lack of) customer service. Kahrs don't get "mixed" reviews on the net for nothing.

I'd even carry a Kel-Tec PF9 before I'd carry a Kahr. In the meantime, if someone really has to have a "single stack Glock nine," the PPS comes closest.
    Personally, I'd much rather have a single stack M&P design than a single stack Glock.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I feel the mag safety issue is overhyped. Anything in a firearm can malfunction and prevent its functioning, so why does the mag safety draw so much ire? I'm much more concerned about reliable feeding (mag lips, mag spring, mag release--all can "malfunction") than whether or not I can get that one shot off. If that one shot is all that important, I'll get a one-shot firearm. I have both style firearms, with and without the mag release, and none have ever had an issue in regards to the mag or its safety.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I am also afraid of these extra safties malfunctioning, but changing my tune for the LC9. Believe it or not, when cars came out with airbags, and seatbelts, people where scared of them malfunctioning too. Now I wouldn't imagine driving a car without one. The Mag safety is growing on me. To each their own.

I have to agree with azchevy(even though his name has chevy in it)lol.I've owned three Kahrs the first:cw40=junk second cw9(Iloved the ergo's of the cw40 and i read how .40 inherently has more problems)=junk so i thought i'd buy the top of the line pm9(that's what i get for thinkin)I thought i'd better at least give them a chance 2 make it right.I had to pay for shipping and the next season when i got it back,guess what still junk.THIRD TIME IS NOT A CHARM.Same with pt709.Had to send my LC9 back to Ruger as well,prepaid shipping label from Ruger,got it back in 11 days and 500 mixed rounds later not 1 problem.Just got a gen 4 glock 26 too.Love it.

oops - trigger does not work right

I'm pretty handy, but after following these directions, my trigger does not work right. When I rack the slide, the trigger moves all the way back in the guard, as if it just fired. But the trigger does not go forward on its own. I can manually move it forward, but it does not catch on anything, and when released, springs back to the rear. If I turn the gun upside down, then wack on the top of the slide, I can manually move the trigger forward and it will then catch. I can then pull the trigger to cycle the hammer, and theroretically fire a round (haven't actually tried this, of course).

Seems like something is not right with the #2 Trigger Pivot or #5 Trigger Bar, but I'm stumped. Anyone have an answer?

thanks.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Send it back to Ruger with a signed promise not to mess with it again?
    mr.stuart likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yeah, it's in a box all wrapped up. I was just hoping for a last-minute save.

Thanks away!

Quote Originally Posted by hutch54 View Post
    I'm pretty handy, but after following these directions, my trigger does not work right. When I rack the slide, the trigger moves all the way back in the guard, as if it just fired. But the trigger does not go forward on its own. I can manually move it forward, but it does not catch on anything, and when released, springs back to the rear. If I turn the gun upside down, then wack on the top of the slide, I can manually move the trigger forward and it will then catch. I can then pull the trigger to cycle the hammer, and theroretically fire a round (haven't actually tried this, of course).

Seems like something is not right with the #2 Trigger Pivot or #5 Trigger Bar, but I'm stumped. Anyone have an answer?

thanks.

first post here, thanks to the thread starter for writing this post. I googled and found this, tried it and it works great! I joined up to post my thanks!

as to your problem you let the spring on the right hand side unwind, you basically have to take that long arm off the right side, and move the spring counter clockwise i think or maybe it was clockwise about half a turn to get tension on it then put the arm back on, pretty sure it takes some talent to manipulate this all with two hands only lol! it will be under pressure and immediately move the trigger to the right position resolving your issue

as to the removal of that plate, it was not easy!! i actually broke my plate in two pieces on purpose just to hopefully make it easier but it didn't seem easier.. took about 45 minutes to get it out, and some sore hands! then putting everything back together was a challenge as well but put 100 rounds thru it immediately after with nary a hiccup!!
    Last edited by JD; April 26th, 2012 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hutch54 View Post

thanks.
    Simple fix that was addressed:

If you are not careful part number 5 will pop out, just make sure when you put it back in part number 14 is under tension and placed back underneath it...
    all that happened was the spring arm needs to be placed back underneath part 5. It slipped out, this creates the tension on the trigger bar

this guy:

needs to be pushed down when looking at the weapon from the side and put under this guy to create tension

A great many thanks to you AZChevy! I would not have been able to figure this out without your instructions. I now have a fully functional self defense pistol. Took a little longer to get back together than I would have like but thats because my fingers are like tree stumps. NO DEXTERITY! Thanks again.
    RShook

Loaded chamber indicator

Have been following your thread on mods for lc9.
    I have also had many Hi Powers and I have removed the mag safety. I'm not in love with the one on the lc9 and will prob get around to removing it. What really bugs me is the loaded chamber indicator. What mod did you do to that?

Simple fix that was addressed:

all that happened was the spring arm needs to be placed back underneath part 5. It slipped out, this creates the tension on the trigger bar

this guy:

needs to be pushed down when looking at the weapon from the side and put under this guy to create tension

I punched the roll pin out removed it and ground the tab down. Make sure not to lose the firing pin retainer and spring.

Someone posted a YouTube video showing the whole thing - YouTube - ‪Ruger LC9 Magazine Disconnect Removal‬‏. Well, mostly - it does not show him actually prying the plate out. But definitely worth a watch.

First up - a big shout out to AZchevy for this much-needed help. Thank you, sir.

And done:

The villain in this drama is shown at center. Get that sucker out, you're in business. What was important to me is that my LC9 operate pretty much like my SR9c - I wanted the same manual of arms for both guns. While the SR9c mag disconnect removal is laughably easy, this one was pretty tough. Took me some time to get it back together, but it's running perfect, and will fire without a mag in the well.

What's also noteworthy is that the trigger is massively improved by this. It pulls smoother, cleaner, and breaks more predictably. I'm expecting more accuracy as a result. This modification takes an already-great gun and makes it just that much better.
    azchevy likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links