Ruger LC9 Magazine Disconnect Removal

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 Magazine Disconnect Removal within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!! Now, if I can just do it..........

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Ruger LC9 Magazine Disconnect Removal

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!

Now, if I can just do it.......
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

2. Remove Ads

The YouTube video helped a lot. 20 minutes and done. Thanks for the info!

Thumbs up Worked like a charm

No problems but the vid really helps. Now the mag disconnect is really in there tight with a dovetail. If u pry it you will mess up the grove but not damage the gun unless you want to put it back in for some reason. If u remove the trigger than it just slides out or u can pry and remove it with a sliver of metal that was once a groove. Overall 10-15 min no hiccups. Works like a charm. Going to run a few hundred through this wkend to to make sure all is well. Thanks again azchevy
    Winston Churchill once said, “We must be ready at our weakest possible moment to meet anything the enemy brings against us at his strongest possible moment.

You can minimize the metal removal if you position the magazine disconnect just right, before you pry it out. Only the front sides of the Disconnect plate are beveled, and sit under a corresponding beveled slot in the Frame Insert. To remove the Disconnect plate by prying it out of this slot, start with the trigger all the way forward, and Disconnect all the way back, as far out of the slot as possible. Then push the plate all the way over to one side (there is a little play there). Slide a small screwdriver under the other side of the Disconnect, and pry up. The steel Disconnect is stronger than the aluminum Frame Insert, so the aluminum will give way. This may result in a small sliver of aluminum coming off the side of the slot - if so, remove the sliver so that it does not wander around inside your gun after you put everything back together.

By doing it this way, enough of the beveled slot is preserved in the Frame Insert so that you can replace the Disconnect plate, and the gun will function fine, should you ever need or want to.

Of course, taking the extra steps to remove the trigger means you don't have to do any of this. Just some options.

After a thorough DE-OILING of my LC9, I removed the (CA,NY,NJ,MA) magazine safety, then lubed all key part contact areas with Slide Glide lite. Trigger action, although still long is much smoother. Improved accuracy, too.

As always - YMMV.

Anybody have a problem getting the safety back in? I used the instructions in this thread because after putting about 300 rounds through the gun at the range today, the trigger felt really cruddy and I wanted to remove the trigger group for cleaning. I got all that done but the safety popped out and after a little fussing I finally got it back together but it would not activate/engage so I took it apart again and this time the little safety plunger spring went flying and long story short, I now have an LC9 with no manual safety. I ordered a new spring (and a couple of spares) off of the Ruger website but man that moment when it went flying away REALLY sucked, lol. :)

Does anyone know the 'logic' behind the mag disconnect safety? Is it to make California LEOs happy that your HG will not, by itself, shoot them if they see there's no mag in the well? Is it to prevent someone from grabbing your BUG and shooting you if you can manage to hit the mag release? I'm not sure I 'get it'.

TIA

If you get into a H2H situation, and a hostile happens to grab your weapon, you can drop the mag and make the pistol virtually useless. A completely stupid idea.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JBachman View Post
    If you get into a H2H situation, and a hostile happens to grab your weapon, you can drop the mag and make the pistol virtually useless. A completely stupid idea.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    Well, that may be true but with the mag disconnect and the chambered round indicator it is deemed "California Legal" (oh, and less than 10 rounds in the mag, I believe). So it's more than just 'self-defense', I think, but thanks for the comment. :)

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    Does anyone know the 'logic' behind the mag disconnect safety? Is it to make California LEOs happy that your HG will not, by itself, shoot them if they see there's no mag in the well? Is it to prevent someone from grabbing your BUG and shooting you if you can manage to hit the mag release? I'm not sure I 'get it'.

TIA
    Uh...the words logic and California in the same paragraph are light years apart.

I think they do it for the waterheads that drop the mag and "think" the gun is unloaded yet forget about the round in the pipe. How many times have we read stories of someone dropping the mag and "accidentally" killing themselves or someone else because they then violated the 5 most basic rules of firearm safety with what they thought was an empty firearm? All a person needs to do is strictly adhere to the rules of gun safety but I guess some people will never learn.
    azchevy likes this.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Trigger Pull

the mag disconnect ( part 11) itself is a PIA to get off as it sits under a tab on the trigger. It is not an easy removal but well worth it as it actually makes the trigger feel better because you don't have that hunk of worthless metal sitting on the tab and causing tension.

azchevy, Thanks for posting your lc9 magazine disconnect removal procedure. All went smoothly except the actual safety plate. That was a chore and I destroyed the plate getting it out. If I ever decide to re-install the safety (unlikely) I will get a new plate from Ruger. I went to the range yesterday and fired about 50 rounds without any problems. I do think the trigger pull is better with one exception. At the very end of travel it has a slight rough spot just before it releases the hammer. I disassembled the lc9 today and found that when the trigger is pulled back almost all the way, the bottom end of the tab of part #5 lightly rubs against (I think) part #6. It may have been that way before, I don’t remember. Have you encountered anything similar? I do like having the mag disconnect out of there. It makes dry fire practice much better. Thanks again for your procedure.

I understand the mag safety question both ways. When I was in LE I had several cases where someone was shot with a mag out "empty" gun. Common sense is the best safety.

Or how about the guy who clears his semi-auto by first racking the slide... to ensure it's empty. THEN dropping the mag. Oops! Just chambered one. I guess the mag-disconnect would save that guy from himself.

I too thank those who pioneered the how-to and the video for this mag disconnect on the LC9! It was fun to tear my pistol down that far and see the inner workings. It was a fairly easy 20min job... disconnect came out without too much fuss.

Cheers!

I just aquired an LC9 and after having an LCP for sometime, I definitely want to remove all of this safety BS. Does anyone have any further instruction on how to remove the manual safety as well as the LCI??

Thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links