Ruger LC9 Magazine Disconnect Removal

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 Magazine Disconnect Removal within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Note: You do this at your own risk. I am just putting it up here because it is in one obscure place on the net ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Ruger LC9 Magazine Disconnect Removal

Ruger LC9 Magazine Disconnect Removal

Note: You do this at your own risk. I am just putting it up here because it is in one obscure place on the net originally posted by a user named: chrism555 on ak47.net.... in this thread: Ruger LC9 Mag Safety - AK47.NET

I just cleaned it up and added the parts breakdown and thread title for easy reference.....

1. Remove #54(Hammer spring seat). This should pop out with a small screw driver.

2. Use a small pair of needle nose and lift out #53(Hammer anchor pin). This under tension so be careful. This will release tension on #8(Hammer spring).

3. Now take a punch and remove #45 (Frame insert pin). There's 2 of these

4. Before lifting the rail assembly observe how the hammer interacts with the hammer catch. Cycle the trigger and control the hammer to get an idea how they fit together. Hold the hammer back and pull the trigger and you'll get an idea of how they work. This will help when you put things back together.

5. Lift the rail assembly out of the grip frame. The trigger will lift out attached to rail assembly.

6. Set the rail aside and you will see the #11(magazine disconnect and spring). Remove these and your done.

7. Place the rail assembly back in the frame. Before seating it at the rear, insert a small screw driver under the rail to push #50(hammer catch) forward so it engages the hammer pivot. This is a little tricky so go slow. Once you get it pushed forward you may have to reach in from the top of the mag well to hold it so you can pull the screwdriver out from under the rail to seat the rail assembly. Watch the springs on both sides of the rail. They can pop out easily and require a third set of hands to get them back in. Pay attention to the #24(take down plate), its a little tricky to get lined up during reassembly.
    Go slow and just observe how it all works prior to disassembly.

8. Reinstall the rest of the parts in the opposite order of dis assembly

Attached Images
    shockwave likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    when did you buy an LC9? I thought you were going to pass on it?

do you like it?

I decided to give it a shot once it was pointed out the mag disconnect could be easily removed so I researched it and found that and decided it was worth it to me.... and I handled one and found the safety was very hard to re-engage. I like it, but I HATE the loaded chamber indicator. I may do something about that yet. I will have a video review up hopefully by the end of this weekend ala my lcr, g29, and p3at review. I will never buy a Kahr due to the religious affiliation, the PF9 felt cheap to me and while that is tolerable for the .380 in a nine I want some quality and strenght.... walther and taurus are on my junk do not buy list... and kimber... well their reputation speaks for itself so I avoid their products at all costs.... that leaves the sig which is not out yet, and the ruger. So I pulled the trigger on the Ruger so to speak. I bought and sold 8 firearms I didnt like in 2010 so I suspect 2011 will be no different. For under 400 bucks invested in the weapon and holster, if it doesnt work out I will just sell it and the high noon mr. softy that will hold it. I already have a glut of ammo for my G17 so no money spent there.

GLOCK WE NEED A SINGLE STACK NINE!! ARE YOU LISTENING!!!
    GoBigOrange likes this.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Can't wait to see your review. Honestly though, I really don't understand why the mag safety is such a big issue. Maybe someone can explain why their gun needs to fire with the magazine out?
    maxwell97 likes this.

Because if I am attacked and I draw and fire and the mag somehow was disengaged it would be nice to get at least one round off before an oh no click happened
    shockwave likes this.

My concern with mag disconnect safeties is it is something else to malfunction whose design is to prevent the gun from firing. Let's say a magazine doesn't seat right or gets bent...no boom. Round could chamber with no ability to go boom. If the LC9 had been designed as simple as possible (no safeties, just a DAO trigger pull), I believe they would have been much more popular. At least you've learned how to undo one of their design flaws.
    Speculator likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Hey azchevy - thank you. I've been looking for this and you found it first. Well done.

This appears to be a bit more complex than the SR9c procedure (which is like, Ruger wants you to remove the darn thing). But this looks very doable. If I get the LC9, this will be part of my first cleaning procedure.

To GoBigOrange: You take this part out because it makes no sense to have it on a gun. Let me explain in case that isn't clear.

The concept behind a mag disconnect safety is that a person might remove the magazine from the gun and then believe that the gun is "safe" because it is "unloaded." The person in question does not realize that there's still one in the chamber.

It gets better. The person also fails to realize that there is a loaded chamber indicator that is in the "chamber loaded" position. The person also does not have the manual safety engaged.

Gets even better. The person now, having made all the above mistakes, points the gun in an unsafe position and pulls the trigger, blowing off safety rules 1 through 3.

The mag disconnect safety is there to save the day.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

After doing this I found it is a little complex and not for beginners. If you are not careful part number 5 will pop out, just make sure when you put it back in part number 14 is under tension and placed back underneath it... it is the trigger bar... also part number 24 pops out too, it is easier to leave it out, use the screw driver to push 50 down with part # 6 all the way back ( hammer) and place it in back first. It will eventually catch. Then push the front down, lift it up barely to fit part 24 back in and you are done. Also a SMALL needle nose is needed for stretching spring #8 off part 53 because it has to be done carefully and requires a lot of pull to get the spring on and off. Also the mag disconnect ( part 11) itself is a PIA to get off as it sits under a tab on the trigger. It is not an easy removal but well worth it as it actually makes the trigger feel better because you don't have that hunk of worthless metal sitting on the tab and causing tension.

You could actually remove the external safety at this time as well, but I decided not to.

If you have any issues with your ability, don't do it. You will have a weapon in pieces and I am not responsible as this was posted for educational purposes only

Here is mine out....

IMG_1851.jpg

I think you should have just gotten the Kahr CM9 and been done with it. :D

I wouldnt waste my money with something that needs a break in period as stated from the moonie manufacturer and complained about internet wide by owners , plus outside of Glocks I like to support American companies... especially one that manufactures weapons 3 hours from me

I guess I don't mind shooting my guns, call me weird I guess.

I think I shoot way more than most normal people... but as I have stated before if a weapon FTF or FTE repeatedly, I dont care what model it is, it is gone. The horror stories I read about Kahrs and their religious affiliations was enough for me to decide never to put money in their pockets to further their agenda.

Just giving you some shop talk grief. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird Walther of all guns in on your extensive do not buy list.

Quote Originally Posted by dcfis View Post
    Weird Walther of all guns in on your extensive do not buy list.
    I am just not a fan of smith and walther. older walthers are fine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links