Ruger LC9: Disabling the loaded chamber indicator - Page 2

Ruger LC9: Disabling the loaded chamber indicator

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9: Disabling the loaded chamber indicator within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; If this is a carry gun I'd be careful modifying it (removing safety features as benign as they may seem) because should you have to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ruger LC9: Disabling the loaded chamber indicator

Distinguished Member
    If this is a carry gun I'd be careful modifying it (removing safety features as benign as they may seem) because should you have to use it, it's getting taken from you for evidence and it's going to get stripped and gone over with a fine tooth comb. It might create some headaches if you've modified it as such.
    ecc444 likes this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

I will take my chances. Thankfully I live in a free state that fully supports my self defense.

I've come to like the loaded chamber indicator on my SR9c, other than the fact that it gets dirty and is hard to clean.

They could've at least made it a bit smaller. It seems quite large compared to the rest of the gun. The LCI on the Springfield XDs, for example, is compact and non-intrusive. It also has no lawyer writing or colors on it. It's the same color as the rest of the slide. Nonetheless, it can get "stuck" over time if gunk gets in there. I haven't had that happen to me, but some people report it happening. Luckily, even if it does get stuck, it won't interfere with function.

Well, grinding off the front tab with a dremel wheel, polishing up and reinstalling the loaded chamber indicator works, weapon functions perfectly and with round in the chamber it doesnt pop up. Hopefully someone comes up with some custom ones that say things other than loaded when up, some comical ones or customizable ones would be great.... easy to do seeing it is one piece and only one roll pin holds it in. Sorry for the oversight. I cant believe I missed the firing pin retention pin when I removed it. DOH! Stupid me and stupid Ruger for integrating such a worthless device into a firearm

I'm actually considering grinding the tab down just a little bit. That would give me full functionality without the giant banner. Maybe just 1/2 its current height.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Well, grinding off the front tab with a dremel wheel, polishing up and reinstalling the loaded chamber indicator works, weapon functions perfectly and with round in the chamber it doesnt pop up. Hopefully someone comes up with some custom ones that say things other than loaded when up, some comical ones or customizable ones would be great.... easy to do seeing it is one piece and only one roll pin holds it in. Sorry for the oversight. I cant believe I missed the firing pin retention pin when I removed it. DOH! Stupid me and stupid Ruger for integrating such a worthless device into a firearm
    "If you can see this, well... bye!"
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I shaved the LCI some on my LC9 and like the way it turned out. It retains its functionality but doesn't stick up like a billboard.

This is a shot of the LCI. You can see that I shaved a little off the tab. The top one is obviously the "before"picture.

This shot shows the LC9 with the LCI up/down after shaving the tab down.

A closer look.

LCI

What size punch do you need to remove the lci...thanks

OK I found an easier way, just REMOVE it. It does not affect the weapon whatsoever and it still shows a loaded chamber by visual without the STUPID red popup. Simply punch the pin out, remove the indicator and either leave the pin out or do what I did and replace the pin. Done. Looks MUCH nicer!

Attachment 24411Attachment 24412Attachment 24413Attachment 24414Attachment 24415Attachment 24416
    how on earth did you get that LCI pin out? I cannot for the life of me get it out!

Ok do not do this. Small oversight on the fact this holds in a firing pin retainer. Ruger no go boom. DOH me = dummy
    Reminds me of some dialog from a Cheech & Chong movie. Went something like this:
    "Here, take these." Pause "Oh" Pause "Hey man, don't take those.' "Whada you mean don't take those-I already took them!"

You Tube has several videos on modifying the LC9. They show how to remove the LCI, disconnect the mag safety and adjust the long trigger pull and reset. I'm just leaving mine as is for now-except for the stainless guide rod I installed.

Yes the mag disconnect removal works great at takes binding off the trigger. It does feel better
    Removing the mag safety I understand I can buy into the reasons for that . However I can not figure out what the big deal with the loaded indicator is.
    maybe I am missing somingthing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links