Clean by Soaking?

This is a discussion on Clean by Soaking? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Is it ok to soak a gun in a solvent or something like rubbing alchohol? I clean all my pistols on a regular basis but ...

Thread: Clean by Soaking?

Question Clean by Soaking?

Is it ok to soak a gun in a solvent or something like rubbing alchohol? I clean all my pistols on a regular basis but my Ruger Mk III is the hardest to clean completely. After having shot many many rounds through it sometimes it stops locking back on the last round. This could be a mag issue but regardless of that, is it ok to soak a pistol to break up some of the gunk that I can't reach?

Is it ok to soak a polymer frame? or steel? or aluminum?

If I do soak it, what fluid should I soak it in?

My first instinct is that this is a bad idea, but I thought I'd get some advice from some of the more experienced members here on the forum.

Thanks for any responses.

2. Remove Ads

I would resist the urge to soak a firearm in anything long term, especially a Polymer (plastic) frame. Some folks do a ultasonic cleaning..but I wouldn't call that soaking.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Administrator
    You can soak your all steel firearms. Alcohol would not be the correct cleaning liquid/solvent to use though.

You can make up a mixture of Mineral Spirits AKA Pure Paint Thinner/Petroleum Distillate and add a few large bottles of Hoppes #9 into that.

That's a great overnight soak for all steel firearms that you can use over and over again.

I keep it in a large Stainless Steel kitchen type flour cannister with a lid.

I got that at a flea market for a few bucks.

If you want to soak Polymer Framed guns then you'll need to buy Universal Dunk It.

It's pretty expensive stuff though. It's a soak for all firearms except Electroless Nickel which it will discolor.

HERE IS THE LINK - CLICK HERE

Links