Best Cleaning Kit?

Best Cleaning Kit?

This is a discussion on Best Cleaning Kit? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I am new to cleaning firearms. Just purchased my first firearm (Glock 23) I was wondering what are some of the best cleaning kits available. ...

Thread: Best Cleaning Kit?

Best Cleaning Kit?

I am new to cleaning firearms. Just purchased my first firearm (Glock 23)

I was wondering what are some of the best cleaning kits available.
    I already know I will be using Gunzilla.

What type of Brushes, Jags, ect.

I also wanted something to clean rifles. I have read that you should use a 1 piece rod, any other tips?

Thanks

congrats on the new Glock 23,the cleaning rod/ bore brush that came with your Glock should be fine,although some prefer using a bronze brush..you might also want to get a box of cotton swabs for cleaning the rails and a few nylon gun brushes or tooth brushes too,just makes cleaning a bit easier..i use Outers gun cleaning kit,works fine for me..lots of good gun cleaners and lubes to choose from too,Ballistol,Hoppes Ellite,M Pro-7 even Mobil 1 are some of my favorites..Winchester gun cleaning patches can be bought at Walmart,they also work pretty good..

Distinguished Member
    Welcome to DC. We have the G23 in common.

I would get a universal kit like the Browning from opticsplanet for $39.00 with free shipping or look in my local Walmart, Dicks Sports or gun store for a universal kit. I don't worry about using 3 piece rods unless they are made of stainless steel. Clean from the breech to the muzzle if you can.

Trust me, Skip The Kit. Get a set of jags as it will be cheaper than buying them one at a time and once you get about 3 or 4 you may as well have bought the set anyway - they don't wear out like brushes. One piece rod (once you get a rifle) is the way to go - take a look at the Tipton carbon fiber rods - make sure whatever you get has standard threads. I don't bother with bronze brushes or slotted tips - a tight fitting jag with the correct solvent will get all the junk out; bronze brushes with copper solvent will drive you crazy as they leave streaks of copper in the bore and slotted tips are useless unless you use Ottis patches. Ottis does make a cool kit that takes up little space, but you'll still need a rod in case of stuck cases or squib loads. For the nylon brush (no stainless steel/brass/metal bristles please), I would suggest the military type brush with one head the size of a skinny toothbrush and a small head on the other end with a single row of bristles. The large brushes won't get into the tight spaces you need to get to.

Otis Makes a fine kit, A little pricey ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member
    I just bought the Otis Tactical kit. It takes forever to clean with the flex rods and putting on those patches.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i assembled my own kit, winchester patches, cleaning rag, and a few brass rods to push down the barrels, I just get one set of rods for all of my guns, then i use more or less patches depending on barrel size, its better to discover what you like and put your own kit together than to go with a good kit that has a few pieces you like and a few you do not like.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Sponsored Links