How often do you oil your gun?

This is a discussion on How often do you oil your gun? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I've been field stripping my carry gun once a week since I started carrying regularly (about a month) and it seems that the oil is ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By adric22

Thread: How often do you oil your gun?

How often do you oil your gun?

I've been field stripping my carry gun once a week since I started carrying regularly (about a month) and it seems that the oil is either draining out or evaporating, and I have to re-lube it. I've considered grease on the slide rails, is that a good idea? Any specific kind?

2. Remove Ads

I shoot Glocks and I don't oil them. Every 3-5000 rounds (yes I shoot them that much) I detail strip them, clean them with Simple Green in a 1:1 mix with water and a tooth brush in a plastic pan out on my deck. I then wash them down with hot water in the kitchen sink and let them dry. Afterwards making sure that all is dry including drying things that are still wet, I put it all back together and lube the points shown in the Glock factory manual as lubrication points with gun grease not oil. There are many brands of gun grease out there and that is your choice. There is no need to Oil a Glock. Some other brands of guns will need oil and it will attract dirt which may cause issues. Modern firearms of good designs do not need lots of lube/grease. When I clean and grease my Glocks I do the cleaning and greasing of them and then take them to the range to insure they will fire. Do it in reverse (shoot then teardown and clean) you never really know if it will fire afterwards. I always carry dirty guns.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Depends on the gun and the climate.

Out here in the AZ desert, conventional oils (e.g., CLP) don't last long if your gun is exposed to heat. The inside of my car today was over 100 when the ambient was about 85F. If the oil doesn't evaporate then it migrates downward due to gravity. The guns that travel in the car with me will usually get Brian Enos' "Slide Glide" on surfaces like the slide rails, and conventional oil on parts that have rotating bearing surfaces, like trigger pins.

Obviously the weather here is extreme, but especially in warm weather it's a good idea to pay attention to your gun's lubrication. I'd say every other week is probably good enough. And if you anticipate temps close to freezing, eliminate any thoughts of using grease!
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I lube them every time I shoot them which is about 1 once per month at the least.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    every time i clean my guns i oil them or once a month if i have not shot that month. Rarely does a month go by without me shooting and cleaning my guns. I also use a cloth and wipe my guns down if they get exposed to rain or moisture and reapply oil.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Field strip and oil once a month whether i shoot it or not. high humidity and summer heat can really be hard on them.Plus it gives me a chance to inspect for signs of wear or damage.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Usually after cleaning it once target practice is over. I also oil my carry gun weekly if I carry it almost daily. But if not, I oil it every other week.

My dept issues Formula 3 for our issued weapons. While its not the best oil available it does not evaporate and does a good job on the Sigs. As for my personal carry I use the Hoppes Elite. I field strip the guns once a month are after every session at the range clean and oil. I am wanting to try out the grease and some of the green products as well I am just waiting until I need more cleaner/ oil.

I use hi temp wheel bearing grease on all of my weapons. Usually once a month if that.

Just finished cleaning my five Glocks and my SP101 about an hour ago...did my son's Glock, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That goes for me too and use some of this stuff,works great!Crusader Weaponry - Home
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    every time i clean my guns i oil them or once a month if i have not shot that month. Rarely does a month go by without me shooting and cleaning my guns. I also use a cloth and wipe my guns down if they get exposed to rain or moisture and reapply oil.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

I clean them after I shoot them at the range. If I only bring 2 guns to the range and shoot, then those are the 2 guns I clean after I get home. When I say clean, I mean disassemble into pieces, clean inside of the barrel, etc.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I'm like adric22. They get cleaned after each use whether it is a trip to the range or it's a single round essayed in the general direction of a skunk. They are lubed as needed. If the lubricant is eliminated during the cleaning process then it is reestablished. Otherwise, it's on an as-needed basis, meaning when ever I perceive that the gun feels a little "dry." Everything around here gets lubricated with plain old light machine oil, including the M1. I just don't do grease in any form.

I regularly keep an eye on the exterior metal surfaces and the bores but I don't field strip them to any sort of regular schedule if they haven't been used. There are too many around here for that and I'd prefer not to subject them to needless wear.

RIG protects metal surfaces from corrosion. Hoppe's No. 9 for cleaning, machine oil, and RIG have been the tradition here since the first guns were acquired in the early 1970s. I still have some of those guns and they still see regular use. They are in top shape, not excessively worn, and haven't required repairs.

I do also use Sweet's 7.62 for removal of copper fouling in rifle barrels.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links