froglube - Page 2

froglube

This is a discussion on froglube within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; It must work. I've never heard a squeaky frog. The only lube/protective product I've ever had fail (assuming routine use) was WD-40. Shotgun rusted up ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: froglube

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It must work. I've never heard a squeaky frog.

The only lube/protective product I've ever had fail (assuming routine use) was WD-40. Shotgun rusted up in the midst of an afternoon pheasant hunt (After being applied the evening before). Never used it again. Dug out some guns stored over 20 years with no more than a light wipedown with Outers gun oil and nary a speck of rust.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thanks for the update, eagleeye.

I recently purchased froglube and am anxious to see how it works. My main reason for trying it is the claim that it's a lot eaiser to clean, ie., carbon removal. I'm not worried about rust protection, but I do wonder how long the lubricant lasts after it's been applied.

Quote Originally Posted by IeyasuT View Post
    Thanks for the update, eagleeye.

I recently purchased froglube and am anxious to see how it works. My main reason for trying it is the claim that it's a lot eaiser to clean, ie., carbon removal. I'm not worried about rust protection, but I do wonder how long the lubricant lasts after it's been applied.
    I've been using it for awhile on a sig P220R ss and the gun appears dry before you start shooting and then gets wet after the first few rds. It's kinda cool the way that works. And as far as cleaning after you have applied the froglube a couple times it's true you can just wipe te gun down with a patch or paper towels and it comes clean. I really like that makes for much faster easier clean up.

That's good to know the lube is still there. I recently purchased FL and applied it to one of my pistols. It looks rather dry, but if it still works as a lube that's great.

I will hopefully go shooting next weekend and see whether it's easy to cleanup. It normally takes me close to an hour to thoroughly remove all of the carbon from a pistol session (approx. 400 rounds). I repeatedly have to clean the rails and scrub the slide with q-tips. If a simple wipe-down works, I will be a very happy customer!

I became a dealer for FrogLube because it works so well. It does everything it says it will do. What has gotten so many peoples attention is after I've put about 500 rounds down range and then field strip the pistol, and the feed ramp on the barrel wipes clean to a mirror finish with the swipe of your pinky. I have thrown away all of my other gun cleaning products because it works so well, carbon cannot and will not stick to any part of a gun that is properly treated. I don't have to worry about taking any oil to the range with me or anything. I love the stuff.

One other thing I might mention, any tests that are done with it need to be done after 3 applications as this is the recommended amount for optimum protection. Also, it needs to be applied to warm metal, not cold or it won't get proper saturation which is what makes it so superior to other products out there.
    Last edited by Headshot375; July 26th, 2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: to add

I was just told of FrogLube last week. He told me it works really well and was developed by an ex-Navy SEAL.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
    I've been using it for awhile on a sig P220R and the gun appears dry before you start shooting and then gets wet after the first few rds. It's kinda cool the way that works. And as far as cleaning after you have applied the froglube a couple times it's true you can just wipe te gun down with a patch or paper towels and it comes clean. I really like that makes for much faster easier clean up.

I need to revise my froglube findings first the p220 mentioned above is not SS and is still working great with froglube tho it seems like a little more wear that should not be there. The other thing is on a P220 Stainless steel I put it on that and had malfunctions on the very first range trip. So I had many thousands of rds thru this gun without any problems so I took the froglube off and went to Weaponshield and have put 600 rds thru it so far and has been Flawless.
    Just thought I had to let everyone now my findings.
    I have also been trying to get/find testing and results or any background on froglube and there is just nothing but internet chatter. Sorry I had had a lot Faith in the froglube craze.
    Weaponshield is safe and proven and well documented as such so until something better comes along it's weaponshield for my guns, they are to expensive to go with an unknown.

Because I revised my thoughts on froglube I decided to do a little more research.
    I find that froglube is pretty much unknown. What I mean by that is the MSDS sheets I have been able to find tell me nothing about the product. I can not find any liable testing to show anything at all about froglube the manufacturer will not respond to questions about the products ability other wanting me to believe what they say without showing any proof.
    All I am pointed to is internet and the people that use it or have used it.

Like me I used it for awhile and was sold on it now I'm starting to have a few problems so it's off my guns at least until some iron clad proof is available. Just like heating your gun up makes no difference what so ever other than if your not careful you can damage the metal. I guess I just jumped on the internet hype way to fast. My stainless steel P220 started having problems and my beloved Sprinfield TRP 1911 started to show ware in places it never did before.

I don't know about all of you but I'm going to go with what I think are proven products at this point.

I'm actually sorry if I convinced anyone to use it, I hope you have better luck then I did.

Have you tried Gunzilla? I've had pretty good luck with it.
    I particularly like it on my AR's. The clean up is a lot easier.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Eagleye,

I have to echo your comments. I jumped on the band wagon as well and really wanted it to be what all the hype was about but after 3 months I have quit using it.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

So I'm thinking about an unscientific head to head of Frog Lube and a couple other popular CLP's being talked about. I'm picking up a new Sig Monday, so I will have another test subject. My test will be real world. But... And a very big but... What aspects of each CLP do I track and mostly... How do I measure?! Things like lubricity (or lack of) would manifest as accelerated wear or galling... Any input would be greatly appreciated and maybe we can get something rolling here.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    Eagleye,

I have to echo your comments. I jumped on the band wagon as well and really wanted it to be what all the hype was about but after 3 months I have quit using it.
    Just out of curiosity why did you stop using froglube?

Quote Originally Posted by JBachman View Post
    So I'm thinking about an unscientific head to head of Frog Lube and a couple other popular CLP's being talked about. I'm picking up a new Sig Monday, so I will have another test subject. My test will be real world. But... And a very big but... What aspects of each CLP do I track and mostly... How do I measure?! Things like lubricity (or lack of) would manifest as accelerated wear or galling... Any input would be greatly appreciated and maybe we can get something rolling here.

Hey
    JBachman

Sounds like a good idea I'll put my thinking cap on and see if I can come up with some suggestions.
    I know I have done several rust /corrosion tests by using salt sprays and then just leaving metal coated sitting outside in the rain humidity and what ever the weather here in MN can throw at.
    But wear is just time and rd count I guess unless you coulb rig something up in your garage and would rub metal together continually to see how it wears. I was at one time going to try to figure something out. that would close to real life except you don't need to possible hurt a gun in the process and would give you faster results. As far as lubricity you could do the same thing cause if it don't wear than it would be lubricating right?

Just some thoughts come everyone chime in sounds like a great Idea JBachman has!

BTW... It's Josh. Any way, I've seen the rotating bearing thing... You run it dry and force a piece of metal into it until it stops, then you add miracle product x and it keeps on spinning. We have to remember here, although a lot of pistols see a lot of use and high round count, it is not an engine and subject to the extreme pressures and temps as well as rotational force as say a main or cam bearing is. Really, just about any oil will work. There's just gotta be some that are better. As well as corrosion protection properties. But we all have to keep in mind, there is no one product that you can apply and forget.

But let's toss some ideas together and see what we can come up with. I have several products, Eezox, weapon shield, Militec-1, frog lube, gunzilla, and clean bore.

And tw25b

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links