been using mobil 1 with good results

This is a discussion on been using mobil 1 with good results within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I've pulled a few guns out of the safe and shot them while dry. Except for the Glocks, they all jammed until I put some ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: been using mobil 1 with good results

I've pulled a few guns out of the safe and shot them while dry. Except for the Glocks, they all jammed until I put some lube to good use. These were all semi-autos. It seems to me that CLP will dry up if you leave the gun in the safe long enough.

2. Remove Ads

I also use Mobil 1 on my guns. I also put some Mobil 1 in a spray bottle for the AR. Quick spritz in there before running it makes me feel better (if it does any good, who knows, who cares).

Now for the ultimate test. I'm gonna fill my car with Rem-Oil next time I change the oil. What could go wrong?

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    On one range trip with my father when I was around 10 or so, we needed a little oil for one of our bolt action rifles. After popping the hood, dad pulls out the dipstick and drags the end across the bolt of the rifle, puts everything back and walllaaah, smooth functioning rifle again. The gun lube had dried over time and made the action a little tight. We finished sighting in for the upcoming dear season and were good to go.

Had forgotten all about that. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

I can attest to Motor oil working just fine. always had gun oil around and hadn't though of motor oil as more than an emergency back up. Seems like I might have to rethink my gun cleaning kit supplies list.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

How bout some bar chain oil? Too thick? Bad for cold weather? I'm about to use some motor oil on my guns, but I am curious to see what people have seen the best results with.

Mobil 1 here for three years now 5/20 (thanks, Nathan!).

I put it in an old Visine bottle, which makes it so easy to lay out the thinnest film on frame rails. Liquid ball bearings. One quart is a lifetime supply for 500 shooters.
    The only other lube I might use is spray Molybedium. Sprays in, dries hard, kinda like graphite, but no dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    How bout some bar chain oil? Too thick? Bad for cold weather? I'm about to use some motor oil on my guns, but I am curious to see what people have seen the best results with.
    I mix 2/3 Rem Oil with 1/3 Mobil 1 syn (15-50) for general use, and straight Mobil 1 syn gear oil for the rails only on my 1911. Works too good to want to try anything else. And, no smell..
    Last edited by Magnum; November 11th, 2011 at 12:22 AM.

I've been using gunzilla. Everyone always mentions how it doesn't smell.. etc... but we (Pinklady and myself) both think it smells bad and the smell lingers for some time.

I for one would like to find something that doesn't smell, for cleaning our firearms.

I use a red synthetic EP gun grease that I found at a gun show for lube. Seems to do the job without running out of the gun, stays in place.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Mobil 1 mixed with the last of my +30 year old CLP for lube, and my version of Ed's Red: 50/50 mix of Amsoil Universal Synthetic ATF and Kroil.

I just last evening lubed up my new Kahr with some CLP that I bought a couple years back... I like it pretty well and it comes in a smaller can.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I tried using Mobil1 5W-30 after having about 1/2quart left over from an oil change in my automobile. I am now definitely convinced that it is good 2 go stuff. I use it on my M&Ps, XDM, Glock & S&W Sigma 40VE. The amazing thing is, it doesn't evaporate at a fast rate granted I don't let my firearms get really dirty but when I normally field strip them down I still find Mobil1 still wet in some spots which is great.
    Last edited by Bigpoppa48; November 11th, 2011 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun4169 View Post
    If you do go with Mobil 1 what grade do you use ? 5-20, 5-30, 10-30, or straight 20 or 30 wt. ?
    0W-40 Mobil-1.

mkh
    I use CLP on the barrel and spring etc, but I use Mobile synthetic grease on the slide rails for my Sig P220.

I've been using Militec 1 since I discovered it worked well on an industrial application. I use it on sliding doors, hinges, guns -- like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    I use Mobile synthetic grease on the slide rails for my Sig P220.

VIP Member
    Mobil 1 is +1 but STP is snake oil.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links