been using mobil 1 with good results

This is a discussion on been using mobil 1 with good results within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; last few range trips i've been lubing my handguns with just Mobil 1 after thoroughly cleaning with M-Pro 7..all have run 100%,no failures at all. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: been using mobil 1 with good results

been using mobil 1 with good results

last few range trips i've been lubing my handguns with just Mobil 1 after thoroughly cleaning with M-Pro 7..all have run 100%,no failures at all. seems like Mobil 1 performs just as good as any gun lube or oil i've tried..not sure if this is what i'll use exclusively,but seems to work pretty good..i've also used--

(2) parts mobil 1
    (1) part Dexron ATF fluid
    (1) part STP oil treatment

--with the same excellent results
    Last edited by crue2009; May 5th, 2011 at 10:15 PM.

2. Remove Ads

You mean there are other oils besides Mobil 1??? Mobil 1 has kept my cars, compressors and guns running great for 10 years now!!! Nothing wrong with it at all!!!!
    RTTR84 and dudester like this.
    “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” Han Solo

I've used Pennzoil Platinum (Mobil 1 competitor, 5w20 full synthetic) on my shotgun before. Felt like the action was rolling on butter. Great stuff. I use ATF now, because I bought a bottle. I feel that i would be wasting it if I didn't use it. If I had to do it over, I'd just keep using the PP. I have a glass jar filled with the stuff in storage.

I'll keep the oil in my car and the Gunzilla in my pistolas...I'm just sayin'...
    Knightrider and shooterX like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'll keep the oil in my car and the Gunzilla in my pistolas...I'm just sayin'...
    I'm with you!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's amazing how many fall for the marketing ploys and think firearms require some magical lubrication that cost an arm, a leg, and a first-born son. They're strictly mechanical devices that only need to be cleaned and lubed.

I've used Gunzilla, and other than its smell (or lack of), it doesn't seem to do anything special. My guns don't run any better or worse with Gunzilla than with Mobil One, ATF fluid, 3-in-1 oil (my favorite), Outers, Remoil, etc. Gunzilla just costs a lot more. That $5.00 Qt of synthetic "motor" oil will last a lifetime (well, maybe not for some of you youngsters). But if it works well enough to keep my Explorer engine running 200,000+ miles with no engine overhaul, it should stand up to a few hundred slide cycles between oil changes (plus no filter replacement required!). The only problem I've had with ATF is it leaves a puddle on the floor and smells like a transmission shop.
    Dennis1209 and Sig35seven like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    last few range trips i've been lubing my handguns with just Mobil 1 after thoroughly cleaning with M-Pro 7..all have run 100%,no failures at all. seems like Mobil 1 performs just as good as any gun lube or oil i've tried..not sure if this is what i'll use exclusively,but seems to work pretty good..i've also used--

(2) parts mobil 1
    (1) part Dexron ATF fluid
    (1) part STP oil treatment

--with the same excellent results
    A gun can run 100% with no lube at all, it's the long term effects of wear that you may or may not notice as time goes on.

Any oil will work. I stick to CLP, because I have used in in the military and, ( I have come to like the smell).

But, the one plus of Mobile 1 is heat doesn't break it down, ( sarcasm added) lol
    Flex and Guest1 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Works pretty good in frigid weather too. I used it in my 3-wheeler in Alaska. Mine was the only one that would turn over in -30 deg (and below) temps.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

been using Mobil 1 for quite a while. Works like a charm, and a $6/qt at Wally World, you can't go wrong.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I use Mobil 1 syn blended into regular gun oil. Can't say that my guns perform any different when shooting, but for my safe queens, after a year of storage the oil hasn't dissipated in the least. Can't beat that.

Y'all will be sorry when the Gunzilla Gods rain down fire upon ye non-believers!!!

J/K I use the cheapest gun oil I can find at Walmart, or Academy Sports. My theory is the most important quality of gun oil is actually putting it on the gun on a regular basis. Burnt motor oil on the gun is better than Gunzilla on the shelf.
    Magnum likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It's amazing how many fall for the marketing ploys and think firearms require some magical lubrication that cost an arm, a leg, and a first-born son. They're strictly mechanical devices that only need to be cleaned and lubed.

I've used Gunzilla, and other than its smell (or lack of), it doesn't seem to do anything special. My guns don't run any better or worse with Gunzilla than with Mobil One, ATF fluid, 3-in-1 oil (my favorite), Outers, Remoil, etc. Gunzilla just costs a lot more. That $5.00 Qt of synthetic "motor" oil will last a lifetime (well, maybe not for some of you youngsters). But if it works well enough to keep my Explorer engine running 200,000+ miles with no engine overhaul, it should stand up to a few hundred slide cycles between oil changes (plus no filter replacement required!). The only problem I've had with ATF is it leaves a puddle on the floor and smells like a transmission shop.
    I have the same bottle of oil that came with my gun cleaning starter kit for 2+ years now. I'll keep buying the gun oil for my gun and engine oil for my engine.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

You guys forgot about Tri-Flow ? 20 years ago it was all the rage in gunshops and bicycle shops alike ! It still works just as good now as then.
    I just been using Break-Free CLP or RemOil CLP with no problems. Mobil 1 would make sense though a quart would last me for about 5 years or more.
    If you do go with Mobil 1 what grade do you use ? 5-20, 5-30, 10-30, or straight 20 or 30 wt. ?

Outlaw Guns and Only Outlaws Will Have Guns !!

VIP Member
    I'm another gunzilla convert, like the fact that I can now sit at the kitchen table and clean a gun without someone complaining about the smell. I use tetra gun grease for lubrication of my 1991's, Sig's and my PC4 carbine and socom 16. Just got some 10-8 lube recently to try on my pistols as well.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links