best gun cleaner/ lubricant? (read this)

This is a discussion on best gun cleaner/ lubricant? (read this) within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by RemMod597 WaeponShield is my go-to. Works perfect for me, and really makes cleanup easy! Have used it ever since receiving a sample ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: best gun cleaner/ lubricant? (read this)

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    WaeponShield is my go-to. Works perfect for me, and really makes cleanup easy!
    Have used it ever since receiving a sample bottle a couple years back.
    Only other thing I use is TetraGrease on the rails.
    This is my go-to as well. I also use the WS grease on my SIGs rails.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

2. Remove Ads

I found the recipe for "Ed's Red" and was curious about it, so glad this was included. It seems a reasonable "home brew" to use. I also have heard of folks using white lithium grease (as from AutoZone) for rail lubricant in pistols.
    StormRhydr likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm not sold on the "cleaner/lubricant" aspect of any product. Cleaners are solvent of some sort and remove dirt residue and "lubricants." I use Gunzilla and appreciate the no-smell aspect, but I still apply a light touch of lubricant to critical points (rails, etc.) because I want to knwo the last thing applied was meant to lubricate, not remove libricants.

Also, I have no favorite products. I use everything from Mobil-1 to el cheapo Outers products. I can proclaim that a light wipe down of my firearms with Outers gun oil protected them for over 20 years of storage in a gun case in a closet. That's a pretty good endorsement in my mind. So find something that meets YOUR needs and stick with it--until you find something you like better.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    a lot of products missing in this report like gunzilla
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

also ewls 2000
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

I like Shooters Choice CLP and Slip 2000 EWL
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

strangely, I use a home mix of electric tool grease and engine oil. I have no idea why.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Im one of those autozone grease guys. Use it on my glocks, and AR. And it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Geobob View Post
    I found the recipe for "Ed's Red" and was curious about it, so glad this was included. It seems a reasonable "home brew" to use. I also have heard of folks using white lithium grease (as from AutoZone) for rail lubricant in pistols.

OK, now, I don't recommend this, mind you... but it *CAN* be done.

True story - one of my best friends growing up had a real Renaissance-man kind of guy for a Dad. Renovated an old barn for a home, a mix of born and adopted kids, built his own computer back when you programmed it by flipping toggle switches and read the output in flashing lights.

Anyways, he was the one who first taught me to shoot. And, of course, to clean weapons after. Out came the rags, rods, patches and brushes. Don't recall the solvent, but the lube was an old, tan-colored metal can with black lettering on it. This was the 70's and the bottle was at least 20 or 30 years old.

Whale oil.

Did a fine job, but I can't recommend it, for obvious reasons. Many years later I was interviewing someone for a job and asked him what he was doing currently. He told me he was a harpooner. I guess it was a New England thing.

CLP no need for that fancy expensive stuff

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by chandlerusm View Post
    Many years later I was interviewing someone for a job and asked him what he was doing currently. He told me he was a harpooner. I guess it was a New England thing.
    The irony...
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

From a lubrication standpoint I have been using AMSOIL metal protector now for about 2 years and have never had any issues with it, a quick spray after cleaning and it works wonders, keep a can in my range bag as well so anytime I need it I have it. Is amazing and I really have never found better.

Link for those whom are interested AMSOIL MP Metal Protector

Hope this helps some of you. Has saved me a lot of heartache and from what I can tell a lot of wear and tear in the long run. Its just. That. Good.

Ballistol is good for Hickoh45 it is good for me.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links