best gun cleaner/ lubricant? (read this)

This is a discussion on best gun cleaner/ lubricant? (read this) within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Gun Cleaning Product Tests...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: best gun cleaner/ lubricant? (read this)

Interesting test. Thanks for the link. I wish he reviewed some products for their ability to remove plastic wad fouling in shotgun bores as well, though. I have tried CLP Powderblast (specifically advertised to take out plastic residue), WD 40 (someone said this works), and ATF, and tried leaving it in there for 45 minutes for each substance and using the copper brush to scrub... and nothing. My bore still has a bunch of plastic fouling in it.

Maybe shotgun bores are only really clean when they're brand new and it's not possible to actually remove plastic fouling? Or maybe I just have bad luck with plastic residue. I guess it's just a cosmetic thing, though, since the fouling doesn't appear to affect function or accuracy in a noticeable way.

In past years, I would have read. Now.....with first hand experience.....Gunzilla is my go-to-product for everything. That's just how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    ...Gunzilla is my go-to-product for everything. That's just how it is.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's the same for me.

VIP Member
    'Another Gunzilla fan, but I use Breakfree on the 1911's. I find that it doesn't evaporate as fast. However, the Glocks and everything else don't even get as dirty since switching to Gunzilla.

'Quick story. A friend of mine used to work at a mechanics shop, and a guy came in wanting to buy 'Skywriting Oil' for his plane (ya know - to write smoke messages in the sky). My friend had never heard of it and told him that he didn't carry it, but the pilot insisted that he had bought it there before and was willing to pay some ridiculous price for it. Knowing that the smoke is made by dumping oil into the exhaust manifold, my friend sent one of his guys into the back room and told him to take a stencil and spray paint "Skywriting Oil" on the side of a barrel of oil. The pilot loved the stuff and became a regular customer.

This friend and I used to ride together and whenever the 'great motorcycle oil debate' came up, we'd always laugh and recommend "Skywriting Oil".

Administrator
    Qkshooter is adding a large grain of Salt to that product review.
    Just my personal opinion.

Here is the one test that he is referring to: The Weaponshield test.

It has also been suggested that I test lubricants, but after some thought and a discussion with a friend in the lubrication business I have decided not to do so. "Laboratory" tests have little relationship to real world use on firearms as the loading and shear forces are not like automotive or aircraft engines, and in fact most modern lubricants could be considered overkill in firearms.

There is a test of gun oils on the Internet that involved a rotating shaft and a lubricated, load bearing piece that rubbed against the shaft until things seized up. Interestingly, a very popular and widely recommended firearms lubricant was among to poorest performers in this test.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Weaponshield?blend=12&ob=5

And while his statement is likely true that most lubes are better than they need to be for revolvers and semi-automatic pistols - you would be a smart person to use WeaponShield on your AR or AK & especially if you're shooting high volumes of ammo in rapid succession. And a much better choice for fully automatic and high rate of fire weaponry.
    WeaponShield is my choice as the one all purpose cleaner/lubricant that I pak with my SHTF gear. It just seems to do everything well.

More later. I need to jump off now.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Where's the lubricant part?

I lube with white hi-temp wheel bearing grease. Never had an issue. I clean with good ole fashioned hoppes or clp. Again never had an issue. Want to spend more money on snake oil? Go for it. I will stick with cheap and effective.
    OldVet and StormRhydr like this.

WaeponShield is my go-to. Works perfect for me, and really makes cleanup easy!
    Have used it ever since receiving a sample bottle a couple years back.
    Only other thing I use is TetraGrease on the rails.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I notice he didn't test a product called Blue Wonder, which eats it's way through everything including shotgun plastic fouling, without harming the bore. On really dirty bores it might take two applications, but always results in that mirror finish. I prefer it to Gunzilla. The only advantage Gunzilla has is the lubricating residue it leaves behind.
    The instructions on Blue Wonder specifically tell you to use a lube after cleaning on Carbon steel.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Cool CLP

I use Remington's classic gun oil, CLP, and Hoppe's. Any of the three are great. I haven't tried the Gunzilla yet, but I plan on ordering some.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy615 View Post
    I use Remington's classic gun oil, CLP, and Hoppe's. Any of the three are great. I haven't tried the Gunzilla yet, but I plan on ordering some.
    - I am also a recent convert to Gunzilla in the last year. Before that, it was Hoppe's #9 and Hoppe's lubricant. Gunzilla worked better for me in every way. Clean up is much simpler and my barrels actually squeak when running a cleaning cloth through them. Most importantly, Gunzilla doesn't smell up the entire house when cleaning.

My only mistake was not ordering more Gunzilla during my first order. :)

That being said, I like to use a little Mil-Tec1 grease on the rails of my guns. It's a little slicker than Gunzilla is.

Used more than a few gallons of CLP in my time. Never had any of my personal weapons go bad from it or any of you tax payers weapons you provided me have an issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Interesting test. Thanks for the link. I wish he reviewed some products for their ability to remove plastic wad fouling in shotgun bores as well, though. I have tried CLP Powderblast (specifically advertised to take out plastic residue), WD 40 (someone said this works), and ATF, and tried leaving it in there for 45 minutes for each substance and using the copper brush to scrub... and nothing. My bore still has a bunch of plastic fouling in it.

Maybe shotgun bores are only really clean when they're brand new and it's not possible to actually remove plastic fouling? Or maybe I just have bad luck with plastic residue. I guess it's just a cosmetic thing, though, since the fouling doesn't appear to affect function or accuracy in a noticeable way.
    What shells are you using? I soak my chokes in hoppes for 30 minutes then brush them. For the bore I use a snake with hoppes , let it sit 30 minutes, Use a bore brush on a drill and run it once or twice.Snake one more time and it is shiny clean,
    For my other guns Hoppes 9, wd-40 and for my Mosin (because the ammo is corrosive, window cleaner first then clean with hoppes. Never saw a reason to get fancy

Hello all, I just wanted to bring to your attention a new gun cleaner and lubricant that's getting attention in gun ranges. It's called Safari Charlie Gun Lube have any of you used it yet? it has some pretty good reviews:
    Gun Lube - Safari Charlie
    This is not a spam website, just pointing out a good product in case you are interested.

For those who have used it, let me know what you think!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links