Anyone use either of these kits?

This is a discussion on Anyone use either of these kits? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I'm new to firearms so I would appreciate some advice on cleaning kits. I'm a cancer survivor (exposure to AO and diesel fuel) so I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone use either of these kits?

I'm new to firearms so I would appreciate some advice on cleaning kits. I'm a cancer survivor (exposure to AO and diesel fuel) so I avoid as many petroleum products as I can. MPro7 and Gunzilla both indicate they are non-toxic so they seem like good options for me.

I found two kits on Amazon ---

Amazon.com: Hoppe's M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner - Tactical Cleaning Kit, Clam: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Otis .22-45 Caliber Pistol Cleaning System: Sports & Outdoors

What are the advantages/disadvantages to the rods vs the cables?

Others prefer Jags. Being new, I have no experience so any suggestion or recommendation from the more experienced folks is greatly appreciated.

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

No thoughts or comments?
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Personally I like the Otis system, but it takes practice to get the patches to go through just right. But I've also used cleaning rods for a long time, and never really had issues with them. One advantage of cleaning rods, is if your muzzle gets clogged with mud or something during training (it shouldn't happen, but can), you can use the rod to knock it out easier.

As far as Gunzilla, I am a huge fan, kept my weapon's systems running smooth in country, and I use it for all my personal weapons too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Personally, I prefer rods over cables, but that may just be that I am old school.
    My cleaning box is a small tackle box with a single fold out partitioned shelf. Brushes, tips, etc, are partitioned by caliber. Rods,rags and larger stuff go in the bottom section. I would use whatever "cleaner" you feel the most comfortable with. If guns are cleaned whenever they are fired, there is little buildup of unwanted substances. Periodically replacing brushes, etc, is an ongoing process. I use Break Free CLP.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I also like the Otis cleaning kit simply because it's a one for all basically. Like buckeyeLCPL stated.....it's a learning system. But as far as a one kit does it all (or most)...that's it. Nothing wrong with old school and Guantes like. Depends on what you do and how you like to do it pretty much. Truth be known, I wouldn't be without the full rod or the Otis system. If you're really into your firearms like me, you'll find the benefits of several types of cleaning systems/tools....otherwise there's no love. Take it for what it's worth.

I'd recommend you call the manufacturers and ask to be sent a material safety data sheet on the cleaners. They are required to provide them and then ask your doctor if he sees any red flags. Considering your history I'd rather error on the side of caution, non toxic can mean different things to different people.

As to the rod vs cable, I'd be hard pressed to go to rods exclusively after using the otis kits, easier to store, faster to use and as good or better cleaning. The rods get used occasionally but not as much as the Otis kit. Also the bore snakes are a good item to use.
    Bark'n likes this.

Administrator
    Clean your firearms outdoors (when possible) & blow a portable fan across your cleaning area.
    These days when I do clean my firearms I pretty much just use WeaponShield which is low-odor not smelly like Hoppes.

In Winter I usually clean my firearms at work.

My carry firearm & magazines are always immaculate.

These days if I intend to shoot my recreational handguns the next week or within the next few weeks I don't clean them every time I get them dirty.
    I used to but, I don't anymore.
    I have found that it's just not necessary.
    I used to be really OCD about constantly keeping my fungun firearms perfectly clean but I outgrew babying them when chemical technology made it unnecessary.
    I simply wipe the exteriors with a lightly oiled rag and I ZIP LOCK bag them with a couple of vapor tabs.
    I will usually do a thorough cleaning after 3 or 4 shooting sessions.

I use these (photo below) - They are just fantastic. RUST BLOX Vapor Tabs. Available from Brownell's.
    I have never had a bagged firearm rust, corrode, or pit using them.

I expect that I'll catch some from some forum members with regard to not cleaning my firearms after every shooting session but, mostly I shoot 1911s & I figure that if they can survive a couple of World Wars and various other assorted notable environmentally adverse conflicts - they should be able to tolerate a couple of weeks bagged with a few Vapor Tabs without getting all weak-kneed and disabled on me.
    They were designed as "battle guns" & I expect them to continue to function when they are less than 100% squeaky, perfectly, clean.
    And they do so without suffering any ill effects or physical harm and so my personal cleaning schedule works for me.

Thanks to all of you who replied. I appreciate you sharing your insight.

Mike

Gunzilla works great for me and seems to not pose any problems with vapor or on my skin. Also, I use boresnakes for cleaning my bores. It's a lot easier and faster than using rods, jags, patches, etc. and as far as I can tell does a great job.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

I like the Otis Tactical Cleaning System. Pretty much has you covered from .17 cal all the way up to 12 ga. I also use Break Free CLP and have just started using FrogLube as well but it is too soon to tell on the FrogLube so the jury is still out on it.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Distinguished Member
    Another vote for boresnakes. I always always always use nitrile gloves too.

I don't overclean either. I don't like to carry a gun that has not been test fired after taking it apart to clean and lube, so that in itself limits it. Maybe that could help to be a mental excuse to get your head around not cleaning every time.

What kinds of guns are we talking about cleaning? Congrats on your overcoming cancer by the way. Cheers

I've got a police cleaning kit from Kleen-Bore, but for most stuff it's just white lithium grease and Rem Oil. I invert a large garbage bag over my cleaning table and wear nitrile gloves when I clean. When I'm done, I just reverse the bag with all the dirty patches, cotton swabs and gloves. It makes cleaning up the mess a lot easier.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Another vote for boresnakes. I always always always use nitrile gloves too.

I don't overclean either. I don't like to carry a gun that has not been test fired after taking it apart to clean and lube, so that in itself limits it. Maybe that could help to be a mental excuse to get your head around not cleaning every time.

What kinds of guns are we talking about cleaning? Congrats on your overcoming cancer by the way. Cheers
    Thanks! I have a Sig Mosquito, Judge, and a Glock 19.

I agree with requesting an MSDS from manufacturer on the safety of your cleaning products. And from what I hear, Gunzilla is some excellent cleaning product. I intend to obtaining some for myself.

As far as cleaning kits go, since using my Otis kit, I'm going to have to vote for that one. Your learning curve on it should be shorter than mine was since I grew up using the old school rod method for decades. While there are pro's and con's to each method, the more I use the Otis kit, the more I'm liking it.

Using nitrile gloves when you clean should be considered to be one of your best protection methods from any chemical exposure as well as proper ventilation in the area you are cleaning your guns.

Congrats on beating cancer. Always great news to hear!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links