Parkerized Finish Maintenance

This is a discussion on Parkerized Finish Maintenance within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; My Springfield Loaded has the parkerized finish. It seems like holster wear and use will eventually take their toll on the finish. Is there anything ...

Thread: Parkerized Finish Maintenance

My Springfield Loaded has the parkerized finish. It seems like holster wear and use will eventually take their toll on the finish. Is there anything I can do to make it hold up longer? Or is a parkerized finish more resilient than I think it is?

A parkarized finish is the finish you choose when you don't want to worry about finish. It ain't supposed to be pretty. All finishes will wear.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Nice thing about Parkerizing is that the finish isn't hard to re-do, even at home. Not like the hot alkali salts needed for a classic blue finish and the prep work like polishing that precedes it. And yes, it probably is more durable than you think it is.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Good to know.

I just wipe it with gunzilla occasionally and wipe it after carrying for the day. Sound like that is enough.

Yep, wipe it down, reholster, and forget . Wear adds character.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

parkerizing will last longer then you think it will, but it's not impervious to wear. Eventually you will have those spots that may or not offend your sensibilities (I like mine....I think it's gives a weapon "character"). On the plus side, having it re-parkerized is easy and cheaper then a regular "hot blue". Also, if you ever wish to have the weapon redone in another type of finish such as CeraKote, it's my understanding that the parkerizing actually helps the bonding process better then standard bluing (I don't know this as fact....but have been told this).

Speaking of having a weapon refinished, I recently had a chance to fire a Colt 1911 that had been refinished with Black-T by Birdsong. Very impressed, so it's something I'm looking into for a shotgun of mine.

W.E. BIRDSONG INC- PROTECTIVE COATINGS FOR FIREARMS AND METAL
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

Sponsored Links