Mosin 91/30

Mosin 91/30

This is a discussion on Mosin 91/30 within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; After much reading and asking I have concluded that the use of corrosive ammo in both my Mosin Nagant 91/30 is a bad thing if ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Joshua M. Smith

Thread: Mosin 91/30

Mosin 91/30

After much reading and asking I have concluded that the use of corrosive ammo in both my Mosin Nagant 91/30 is a bad thing if left dirty after firing. My concern is almost all I have read says "windex and amonia mixture" when cleaning the bore. I have shot both of mine several times and when done I clean with Hoopes #9 really well and then lube with either breakfree or Rem oil.
    My question is should I conform and go to the "windex and amonia" routine that everyone is talking about ?

I really like the 2 I have and I paid extra for "excellent" on all issues and do not want to ruin them. But water, windex, and then a blow dryer and possible rust are just contrary to my way of cleaning a gun. I can not imagine something in my bore that a swab dripping with Hoopes #9 will not take care of but I could be wrong.

I NEED SOME REAL OPINIONS HERE........... thats why I have come to this forum. I've never been let down yet.

For what its worth, the Mosin is a sturdy military battle rifle, a little water isn't going to destroy it. Generally when I take one of mine out and fire corrosive ammo through it, my cleaning goes as follows.

I take a spray bottle of either windex, or just plain water, I have used both, and seen no issue with either. After I am done shooting the Mosin for the day and before I leave the range, I spray down the inside of the barrel, chamber, and bolt pretty thoroughly.

Then I case it up, and take it home and give it a regular cleaning with Gunzilla. I haven't had any rust issues yet doing it that way. If your way works for you, that is great, the key is to get the corrosive salts cleaned out quickly and completely, otherwise pitting will start in a short amount of time.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Buckeye is on the money. It doesnt really matter what you use as long as you flood the barrel with something. Flooding it gets all of the stuff, not just some of it if like if you use a patch and a jag. Windex has ammonia in it to make it a little more agressive.

The key is to just get the stuff out of there then oil it up and put it away.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I take a spray bottle of either windex, or just plain water, I have used both, and seen no issue with either. After I am done shooting the Mosin for the day and before I leave the range, I spray down the inside of the barrel, chamber, and bolt pretty thoroughly.
    I'm wondering if this "before I leave the range" thing is necessary in my case. I just bought a Mosin Nagant 91/30 and I live in Arizona, which we all know is pretty darned dry. Do I really need to worry about shooting corrosive ammo from my point of shooting until I get home to clean it? Seems like moisture/humidity would be a major factor, but that really isn't the case in AZ.

So, basically, my question is... Can I shoot corrosive ammo through my Mosin and do the regular cleaning with hot soapy water/ammonia, etc when I get home? Will the bore/barrel really corrode that fast if I don't "spritz" it with something immediately after shooting? I'm talking a 30 min drive home and cleaning it the same afternoon.

Senior Moderator
    So
    , basically, my question is... Can I shoot corrosive ammo through my Mosin and do the regular cleaning with hot soapy water/ammonia, etc when I get home? Will the bore/barrel really corrode that fast if I don't "spritz" it with something immediately after shooting? I'm talking a 30 min drive home and cleaning it the same afternoon.
    Just clean it when you get home. It'll be alright.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Just clean it the same day. Those rifles probably went a good while between cleanings back in their day.

Thanks guys for the responses. It just seems like everything I read about shooting milsurp corrosive ammo will eat your bore/barrel to mush immediately...

Quote Originally Posted by mhunter View Post
    Thanks guys for the responses. It just seems like everything I read about shooting milsurp corrosive ammo will eat your bore/barrel to mush immediately...

Remember. These are Russian rifles. Everything there is as ugly and as sturdy as an ox.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Hello,

Corrosive ammo is actually just ammo that uses corrosive primers, unless you're shooting black powder loads.

"Corrosive" in this context is a misnomer, however. The primers contain potassium chlorate which, upon ignition, deflagrate into potassium chloride and a couple other fun chemicals, but potassium chloride is what we need to focus on for the answer to your question.

Potassium chloride is a salt. In fact, you know that stuff the doctor tells you to use instead of table salt if you have high blood pressure? Yeah, that stuff!

Salts do not corrode. Salts are hygroscopic, attracting moisture. Moisture + ferrous metals = oxides of said ferrous metals. Mostly FeO2 and FeO3 for firearms.

Rust!

Now, back when I got my first Mosin, a 1944 M44, I was told to extend the bayonet, put it in the ground, remove the bolt, and pour boiling water down the barrel.

And I wondered why I could never get the thing clean!

You see, heat is a catalyst. Having the water boiling made the bore flash rust. Sure, it got the salts out, but it also put oxygen in, probably faster than the salt would have!

Incidentally, it's now common knowledge that you clean blackpowder arms with tepid soapy water, not boiling as used to be the practice.

Anyway, back to your Mosin:

Clean it normally after firing. Anything that's going to remove copper is going to remove salt. You could even push a greasy patch down the bore, sealing it from moisture, and never clean it. Not something I'd advise doing, but possible.

If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy, use the water and ammonia. Won't do a danged thing Hoppes won't. Ammonia is pretty good at removing copper...

Before I started handloading all my ammo and shot the milsurp stuff, I would run a cotton patch soaked in dishwater down the barrel, followed by two or three clean water patches, followed by several dry patches, then I cleaned normally.

I didn't do this because it was necessary; I did it because it made me feel warm and fuzzy to do so.

The Russians were cleaning these things back in the trenches of WWI with diesel fuel or kerosene, sometimes urine, and oiling them with crude oil if they were lucky enough to have any extra. The bores are more damaged from steel cleaning rods being used from the muzzle end than from shooting military ammo -- and look at the general conditions of the trenches!

No, you're fine. Run a damp patch down the barrel before you leave if it makes you feel good. Even better, use a patch damp with Hoppes and let it soak on the ride home! Might do a oiled patch down the bore during an extended shooting session since you're in FL and it's likely humid in the summer, but you won't see anything more than a light frosting if you don't do this.

Black powder is a whole different ballgame, and if you are shooting these from your Mosin at all, please write back!

Regards,

Josh
    BlueNinjaGo likes this.

Sponsored Links