Defensive Carry banner

AR Bolt Cleaning

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  kapnketel 
#1 ·
I just recently obtained a S&W M&P Sport as my first AR. I had a question on how everybody cleaned the bolt. I have a lot of gunk coming out on the firing pin from the channel in the bolt that the firing pin is fed through. How do you guys get in there to clean out that section?

#2 ·
I'm going to assume that you have detail stripped the bolt carrier group down and you are talking about the bolt itself,I use a spray brake parts cleaner and using the tube I spray a few shots of cleaner in the backside the firing pin goes in

#4 ·
If you're talking about the tunnel the firing pin seats in, I spray Gunzilla down it and let it sit for a while, then I use a pipe cleaner on the large end and plow out the narrow side with Caned Air.

It doesn't get spotless, but it will clean it well enough to keep it from jamming up.

#5 ·
After cleaning the bolt carrier group (yeah, non-CFC brake parts cleaner at $2.49 can), I spray a dry lube on the bolt carrier (Dri-Moly), and let it dry a few minutes before I reassemble. I imagine spit or olive oil would work just fine too. That's just the nature of an AR. I've detail stripped the bolt carrier group one time in 1K rounds, and never had any hang ups or fouls. 5 times out of 6, I just pull a bore snake through the barrel, hit the action with a wee bit of Rem Oil or Mobil One, and stash it. Your mileage may vary.

#6 ·
Correct I am talking about the tunnel that the firing pin seats in on the actual bolt itself. I tried looking on youtube but most of the videos I found only had them cleaning the exterior of the bolt. Thanks for the replies

#7 ·
I use an ultrasonic cleaner I picked up at Harbor Freight to loosen the gunk and finish with a detail brush. I also use a carbon remobal tool. Gunzilla at the end and I am good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.