AR Bolt Cleaning

AR Bolt Cleaning

This is a discussion on AR Bolt Cleaning within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I just recently obtained a S&W M&P Sport as my first AR. I had a question on how everybody cleaned the bolt. I have a ...

AR Bolt Cleaning

I just recently obtained a S&W M&P Sport as my first AR. I had a question on how everybody cleaned the bolt. I have a lot of gunk coming out on the firing pin from the channel in the bolt that the firing pin is fed through. How do you guys get in there to clean out that section?

I'm going to assume that you have detail stripped the bolt carrier group down and you are talking about the bolt itself,I use a spray brake parts cleaner and using the tube I spray a few shots of cleaner in the backside the firing pin goes in
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Try youtube for a viewable answer.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

If you're talking about the tunnel the firing pin seats in, I spray Gunzilla down it and let it sit for a while, then I use a pipe cleaner on the large end and plow out the narrow side with Caned Air.

It doesn't get spotless, but it will clean it well enough to keep it from jamming up.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

After cleaning the bolt carrier group (yeah, non-CFC brake parts cleaner at $2.49 can), I spray a dry lube on the bolt carrier (Dri-Moly), and let it dry a few minutes before I reassemble. I imagine spit or olive oil would work just fine too. That's just the nature of an AR. I've detail stripped the bolt carrier group one time in 1K rounds, and never had any hang ups or fouls. 5 times out of 6, I just pull a bore snake through the barrel, hit the action with a wee bit of Rem Oil or Mobil One, and stash it. Your mileage may vary.

Correct I am talking about the tunnel that the firing pin seats in on the actual bolt itself. I tried looking on youtube but most of the videos I found only had them cleaning the exterior of the bolt. Thanks for the replies

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I use an ultrasonic cleaner I picked up at Harbor Freight to loosen the gunk and finish with a detail brush. I also use a carbon remobal tool. Gunzilla at the end and I am good to go.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Links