Research results

This is a discussion on Research results within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Hello I have been posting and posting in this forum and many other trying to get info on different gun oils. lubes , Cleaner etc. ...

Thread: Research results

Research results

Hello
    I have been posting and posting in this forum and many other trying to get info on different gun oils. lubes , Cleaner etc.

While I was doing that i was in the back ground running some of my own tests.
    Rust test:over a 3 month process
    I took a separate piece of metal for each product and applied the product to the metal, I must say I was a little surprised they all formed rust just from setting outside in the elements.
    The products in question were as follows:
    Froglube,Ballistol,M-pro7, Milcom TW25b, Breakfree,Gunzilla

Performance test;over a 3 month period

I love springfield 1911's so I took 7 springfield 1911's and applied theses products to each per manufactures direction.

I then proceeded to the range with my guns as always once to twice a week, sometimes a high rd range count and some lower count ranging from 200 to 600 rds.
    The guns all performed without any flaws of any kind as they have in the past with what ever lube I have ever used on them.

My conclusion which is rather disappointing and a small fortune later. IT MAKES NO DAMN DIFFERENCE WHAT YOU USE FOR A CLEANER/LUBRICATE OR PROTECTOR THEY WILL ALL WORK.
    The only difference is one is safe the other may not be. So I will pick a safe one and use it. As far as the rust test if you clean your weapons regular they wont rust no matter what you have on them, if you leave your gun lay out in the rain,heat, sun, cold it will rust.

What is everyone's thoughts on my result and conclusions?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    LOL. Probably not the most scientific of studies, but I do agree with your conclusion.

There is no substitute for taking care of your firearm, and as long as you do, rust will not be an issue. A suggestion from Guantes got me using a silicone rag to wipe down a gun at the end of every day, so now I'll only break down a carry firearm to clean every week or two.

My 'gut' is that my Glocks prefer running on Gunzilla. In fact Gunzilla gets used to clean just about everything, and then the other guns get a heavier oil applied to the rails and high-friction areas.

Yeah, I pretty much came to that conclusion as well... I use Hoppe's Elite and Breakfree usually, seems to work just fine and both are easy to get locally.

You are very right not scientific however practical for the typical gun hobbyist/shooter.
    At least it was real life shooter usage for testing, instead of laboratory or internet hype.

When I go to the range and shoot 4 or 500 rds and the guns work no different regardless of the lubricate being used is if nothing else very interesting when reading all the hype/claims made by the different products.
    I feel my simple practical tests are sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    LOL. Probably not the most scientific of studies, but I do agree with your conclusion.

There is no substitute for taking care of your firearm, and as long as you do, rust will not be an issue. A suggestion from Guantes got me using a silicone rag to wipe down a gun at the end of every day, so now I'll only break down a carry firearm to clean every week or two.

My 'gut' is that my Glocks prefer running on Gunzilla. In fact Gunzilla gets used to clean just about everything, and then the other guns get a heavier oil applied to the rails and high-friction areas.
    I kinda like gunzilla altho it is kind of a toss up between that and ballistol.

Links