Gunzilla vs Weapons Shield

This is a discussion on Gunzilla vs Weapons Shield within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by QKShooter ... It's also just my personal opinion that the dangerous, deadly, "solvent thing" has been far over-hyped by the Green Weenieites. ...

View Poll Results: Which one is the safest? (Health)

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Weapons shield

10 41.67%
  • Gunzilla

14 58.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Gunzilla vs Weapons Shield

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

It's also just my personal opinion that the dangerous, deadly, "solvent thing" has been far over-hyped by the Green Weenieites. I worked for a decade smothered in volatile solvents.
    We used to wash our hands twice a day (once before lunch & once at the end of the day) in a bucket mix of Benzine & Lacquer thinner.
    Call back in ten or twenty years when you have cancer and don't forget to tell your physicians (yes, you will have more than one) about your benzene exposure.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

2. Remove Ads

I am really surprised!

I mean everyone can use what they want and what works for them no problem.

However it puzzles me that my question is being answered as it is. The Msds sheets for gunzilla altho incomplete states
    it has a health rating of two, and the msds for weaponshield is complate states it has a Health rating of 1.

People are still voting to the fact gunzilla is a safer product. I mean gunzilla by printing in the Msds is saying they are not.

Please for those of you that think it is safer please elaborate!

I mean I think both products are good and most likely just find to use it's just kind of confusing to see how the poll is going.

I know not many have voted but!

And because of the votes I have been trying to find a CFR29 MSDS sheet that filled out on an OSHA approved Form.

If I could maybe some light could be shed on this issue.

I mean I want to use the safest Product I can find and I think gunzilla has it's strong points But!

I wish I could find one with a Nfpa rating of 0!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My guns don't read the fancy ads in the gun rags, and they don't really care what they get cleaned and lubed with as long as they get cleaned and lubed. In 50 years of shooting, not once have I had a failure due to cleaning and lubing regardless of the brand used--and I've used them all.

I am currently using Gunzilla as an experiment. Can't say it cleans any better than Hoppes or any other solvent, but it don't stink up the house as badly. +1 for that. -1 for the rediculous cost. As far as lubrication, I see no advantage for it over 3-in-1 oil, Mobil 1, Outers gun oil, or the many others I've used. I can lube a lot of guns with a $6.00 qt of Mobil 1. The Outers oil protected my guns stored for 20 years with only a light wipedown prior to storage. No special "magical" additives there.

So my theory is that each of us will settle on some brand for some reason, and as long as it works satifactorily--keep using it. Mechanical things like to be cleaned and lubed--they don't follow marketing trends.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My guns don't read the fancy ads in the gun rags, and they don't really care what they get cleaned and lubed with as long as they get cleaned and lubed. In 50 years of shooting, not once have I had a failure due to cleaning and lubing regardless of the brand used--and I've used them all.

I am currently using Gunzilla as an experiment. Can't say it cleans any better than Hoppes or any other solvent, but it don't stink up the house as badly. +1 for that. -1 for the rediculous cost. As far as lubrication, I see no advantage for it over 3-in-1 oil, Mobil 1, Outers gun oil, or the many others I've used. I can lube a lot of guns with a $6.00 qt of Mobil 1. The Outers oil protected my guns stored for 20 years with only a light wipedown prior to storage. No special "magical" additives there.

So my theory is that each of us will settle on some brand for some reason, and as long as it works satifactorily--keep using it. Mechanical things like to be cleaned and lubed--they don't follow marketing trends.

I agree with you on the fact that you can most likely get by cleaning and lubing your weapons with most all products out there.
    But no offense to you but what does that have to do with a products safety point?
    Not just your post but it seems most are eluding or missing my question all together.

The post is about safety of use and the product in general not necessarily the lubricating qualities or the protection from corrosion Although those facts are important but we all know most will accomplish that hell crisco will do that.

OH I know I should have stated safety with the opening title but the poll does state that. As does my my opening post to the thread.

Oldvet thanks for your post I do welcome all comments I just want a little more input on safety.

I found out something Interesting.

Maybe everyone all ready knows this but on the Weapons shield web page if you look at the MSDS sheets on the other products they offer they are te same some you could just by the motor oil they have for your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Call back in ten or twenty years when you have cancer and don't forget to tell your physicians (yes, you will have more than one) about your benzene exposure.
    That was a really crappy thing to say. :(

I have another little tid bit to say and maybe someone will have something to add.

I stepped outside after taking weapons shield off of my springer TRP just because I wanted to test some ballistol.
    A lot of people swear by ballistol and a lot say it's out dated (Much as 1911's are)HA HA HA.

Well anyway the wife was gone so I could shoot from the deck tonight so I sent 375 rds down to the back forty at water jogs and what ever.
    The ballistol worked great I actually think the gun felt cooler and smoother.
    So don't know I might stay with this for awhile.
    Besides I think it's the safest stuff out there.
    I took a few MSDS sheets to my doc at the mayo I've had the same doc for about 35 yrs so he looked things over me.
    And this stuff is SAFE.

I posted a little earlier weaponshield is the same as the motor oil they make but that stuff is pretty safe also.

As far as lubrication I think most anything will be good but this Ballistol really works.
    I had one guy I new fairly well put 3000 rds thru a new sig with ballistol so far and he has basically now wear that is unusual at all. Ballistol is all this guy uses on everything.
    I have never seen his ar15 have a failure on ballistol I mean this guy goies nuts when he brings that to the range. It's fun to see a guy 84 yrs young having so much fun.

Any comments on my findings?

Quote Originally Posted by dudester View Post
    That was a really crappy thing to say. :(
    You're right, dudester. My statement was unnecessarily brash. I apologize to QKShooter, and to members and lurkers alike.
    Doghandler

Administrator
    No offense taken. My DC Forum skin is extremely thick....and healthy.
    Everything is a question of degrees.

There are idiots in California that refuse to touch a single can of spray paint OUTDOORS in order to paint a doggone porch chair because it states on the can that it causes Cancer....in California.

BTW: News Flash. We all have Cancerous cells in our bodies all of the time. Our bodies are constantly replacing damaged & Cancerous cells with healthy cells. It is usually the radiation, the chemo, the surgery or a combination of those 3 that kill most folks and not the Cancer.

Regarding Safety & "common sense" precautions I think I covered it when I stated (above)

"I am not saying that folks should be stupid (like we were) when it comes to exposure to hydrocarbons and solvent exposure (in general) but, if you are concerned about it put a fan in the window blowing room air out & another small portable fan blowing across the gun cleaning area & put on a pair of nitrile gloves then "have at it" and wear an OSHA face-mask approved for volatile solvents.
    They are about 30 bucks at the local hardware store."

VIP Member
    Safest? I have no idea. I use both but prefer WeaponShield.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The simple solution is rubber gloves and ventilation when using any chemical, most of which are harmless in minute amounts. No need to become OCD over gun cleaning.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have a question for everyone that has voted on my thread here.

I'm not trying to be funny or anything but I have been following the posts and the votes and gunzilla is still out in front.

So my question is why do you think gunzilla is safer to use?, now before anyone gets excited the reason I'm asking is because I am damn near ready to switch over to gunzilla.

But when you look at the MSDS for both products WS and Gunzilla it reads the WS should be the safer one.

So is there something you all know that I don't?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post

So is there something you all know that I don't?

Thanks
    Shifting winds?

BTW, I just touched a very tiny amount of Frog Lube to my tongue. The lingering aftertaste is quite bitter. In my 30,000 year old consciousness that lingering bitterness spells poison, regardless of scent.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Shifting winds?

BTW, I just touched a very tiny amount of Frog Lube to my tongue. The lingering aftertaste is quite bitter. In my 30,000 year old consciousness that lingering bitterness spells poison, regardless of scent.

I wouldn't touch froglube anymore at all. It's (THE MYSTERY STUFF).

But I am really up in air on gunzilla I have been finding some very interesting info on it.

Go FedCenter - Home
    Inthe search area type Hunter presentation and click on the hunter presentation 6.5 session. Interesting read.

fedcenter.gov

Well I tried out gunzilla and nope its back to weaponshield.
    I had mentioned before I took the info on gunzilla to my doc to see what he thought about the safety aspects.
    And he said there was some questions I should get answered about the MSDS.
    Well thats where the problem comes in I have contacted Gunzilla several times and he will not give me a strait answer.
    Just kind of goes around my questions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links