Gunzilla vs Weapons Shield

This is a discussion on Gunzilla vs Weapons Shield within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I know there are getting to be a lot of these threads. But I'm mostly interested in not only the performance but the safety aspects ...

View Poll Results: Which one is the safest? (Health)

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Weapons shield

11 42.31%
  • Gunzilla

15 57.69%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Gunzilla vs Weapons Shield

I know there are getting to be a lot of these threads.

But I'm mostly interested in not only the performance but the safety aspects more.

These two products have been getting a lot of attention lately.
    Last edited by eagleeye; September 16th, 2011 at 11:21 AM.

I use Gunzilla.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I notice the poll at this point is leaning to Gunzilla for the safest and maybe the better of the two.

I just got done with a little research.
    Gunzille states that it is made entirely of plants. However I could not find a complete MSDS form that is approved by Osha. And I can't remember the % now but the product does contain Volatiles and I believe those are solvents. And from all the searching around I did in order to be safe you should have a rating of 1 in health section not 2 in the nfpa part of a msds sheet. So with that found I think for me on the health safety part of everything I am a little suspicion about gunzillas claims on safety as far as lub? as far as rust prevention from my testing it did not hold up.

Just thought I would throw my findings out there.
    If anyone can find a properly filled out msds shaet that has been approved let me know or post a link.

Distinguished Member
    I didn't vote in the poll because I haven't tried Gunzilla but I do use Weapon Shield and have nothing but good things to say about it. I use the grease my my SIGs rails and the oil on everything else.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

VIP Member
    My service area is filled with potions and lotions but my 'go to' solution is Gunzilla. I haven't tried Weapon Shield but it seems to be growing in popularity.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I haven't tried either but instead will wait for "GunGamera" or "Firearm Tarp" to come out. But no really...have you read the Weapon shield website!? That's the biggest bunch of "baffle them with BS" sludge ever written for one single product!! It could be the best product in the world (Highly Doubtful) but when the marketers have to try to pass it off as the "snot of the gods" I run the other way!!
    Last edited by markush; September 17th, 2011 at 08:26 PM.

I won't say any product is the best however, I will say that Weaponshield does have a lot of Proven documented tests, and the owner will back up his product.
    He does not beat around the bush and evade your questions.
    GCFennell is the owners name he started steelshield he designed the FP-10 before which when he was in charge was good I'm not sure about it now.
    So each to there own but I think proven documented products are better than Mystery Goods.

Administrator
    PLEASE NOTE ~
    The OP is asking which of the two products would be considered to be the safest with regard to volatile solvent exposure.

Not which one physically performs better than the other.

I have been using WeaponShield ever since it first tested better than FP-10 & BreakFree CLP.

http://www.steelshieldtech.com/mainp...on-shield.html
    Geo Fennel sent me out a free sample & I've been using it exclusively ever since.

I absolutely love the stuff & I'm still alive & doing quite well if that helps.

MSDS Sheets for all of the Metal Shield products ~~>http://www.steelshieldtech.com/mainpage/msds-data-.html

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    PLEASE NOTE ~
    The OP is asking which of the two products would be considered to be the safest with regard to volatile solvent exposure.

Not which one physically performs better than the other.

I have been using WeaponShield ever since it first tested better than FP-10 & BreakFree CLP.

Retail Product - Weapon Shield lubricant, cleaner and preservative - Advanced Boundary Film Technology - Steel Shield Technologies
    Geo Fennel sent me out a free sample & I've been using it exclusively ever since.

I absolutely love the stuff & I'm still alive & doing quite well if that helps.

MSDS Sheets for all of the Metal Shield products ~~>Material Safety Data Sheets - Advanced Boundary Film Technology - Steel Shield Technologies
    Thank you QKShooter

I have changed my mind on gun cleaning products a lot lately because I have looking for something that will do everything
    as good as possible and mostly to be safe.
    Someone very close to me has a Liver condition due to gun cleaning products so I'm concerned and don't want my son using
    anything bad if I can help it.
    But anyway maybe I am way out of the ballpark here but from everything I have cked into it seems that Gunzilla health rating of 2 on there msds is conflicting, the way the msds reads it should be no more then a 1.
    I have done a bit of research and I have found that a lot of products out there would take a very long time to hurt your health it is still disheartening to see the inconsistencies in the info they provide.
    There are a couple of products I think are pretty consistent in what they claim and also provide a lot of info consistently those being Weaponshield and Mil-com products.
    I thought when froglube came out that would be the cats meow however in researching that and even using it with unwanted results has been discarded. I now call that the mystery stuff the incomplete Msds sheets are the worst I have found the manufacturer will not give proof or answer questions about the product without beating around the bush and never answering or offering proof of their claims just hearsay. I did find after seeing wear ac-curing on a gun I was using it on A test I believe it was called falex lubricant test I think it is called had horrible results.
    I wish I would have saved that because I can't find it now. I did confront the manufacturer about and they won't answer any of my questions I think I have been put on ignore.

I have drove the owners of weaponshield and Mil-com nuts with calls and e-mails and they have never once not returned a call or an E-mail and have answered every question I have ever asked.

I think about that they must have nothing to hide and why would they waist the time to answer my concerns hell they won't make much money off me. And it would not matter what I said about companies with the following they have be it good or bad they will always do extremely well.

But anyway I kinda started running off at the mouth but when I look at how my brother was affected by taking care of his guns it pisses me off that companies thru the loop holes of business can get away with incomplete info.

Administrator
    I should add here that the fact that I am using WeaponShield should not be taken as evidence that I have any negative attitude toward Gunzilla.
    All of the posts (probably 99.5% of them) of folks that are using Gunzilla are quite happy with the product.
    The proof of that can easily be seen in the DefensiveCarry Gunzilla thread.

It's also just my personal opinion that the dangerous, deadly, "solvent thing" has been far over-hyped by the Green Weenieites. I worked for a decade smothered in volatile solvents.
    We used to wash our hands twice a day (once before lunch & once at the end of the day) in a bucket mix of Benzine & Lacquer thinner.
    We used to thinner off large pieces of polished work to be lacquered in solvent degreaser & Lacquer thinner by sitting in a basement room and using scrub brushes and toothbrushes dipped into 5 gallon buckets of the stuff.
    I worked constantly in the higher up solvents that made common "Mineral Spirits" seem like Mothers Milk.
    The air down there was reportedly SO BAD that visitors used to go down there to tour the facility & would "feel sick" in 5 minutes & we were down there a full 10 hours a day for years.
    I also used to spray paint diesel primer pumps as part of a Govt contract which required one coat of Zinc Chromate primer & two coats of Olive Drab or Desert Sand or whatever MIL Spec color was needed & that was far enough back in time that I only wore one of those paper masks.
    I can honestly say that my personal exposure to volatile solvents was at least 10,000 times greater than that of the average person & for greatly extended periods of time.
    My daily acetone exposure was also quite high and here I am (years later) with zero permanent health effects.

I am not saying that folks should be stupid (like we were) when it comes to exposure to hydrocarbons and solvent exposure (in general) but, if you are concerned about it put a fan in the window blowing room air out & another small portable fan blowing across the gun cleaning area & put on a pair of nitrile gloves then "have at it" and wear an OSHA face-mask approved for volatile solvents.
    They are about 30 bucks at the local hardware store.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member
    Besides WS I also use the MC25 cleaner to really clean things when needed. Nice to see your research backs up some of the same reasons I've chosen those products. I've also used Mirachem gun cleaner with good results, it also is water based with a health rating of 1.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    Besides WS I also use the MC25 cleaner to really clean things when needed. Nice to see your research backs up some of the same reasons I've chosen those products. I've also used Mirachem gun cleaner with good results, it also is water based with a health rating of 1.
    I like MC25 for cleaning also I am still a little leery about the water base but it is well balanced and works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I should add here that the fact that I am using WeaponShield should not be taken as evidence that I have any negative attitude toward Gunzilla.
    All of the posts (probably 99.5% of them) of folks that are using Gunzilla are quite happy with the product.
    The proof of that can easily be seen in the DefensiveCarry Gunzilla thread.

It's also just my personal opinion that the dangerous, deadly, "solvent thing" has been far over-hyped by the Green Weenieites. I worked for a decade smothered in volatile solvents.
    We used to wash our hands twice a day (once before lunch & once at the end of the day) in a bucket mix of Benzine & Lacquer thinner.
    We used to thinner off large pieces of polished work to be lacquered in solvent degreaser & Lacquer thinner by sitting in a basement room and using scrub brushes and toothbrushes dipped into 5 gallon buckets of the stuff.
    I worked constantly in the higher up solvents that made common "Mineral Spirits" seem like Mothers Milk.
    The air down there was reportedly SO BAD that visitors used to go down there to tour the facility & would "feel sick" in 5 minutes & we were down there a full 10 hours a day for years.
    I also used to spray paint diesel primer pumps as part of a Govt contract which required one coat of Zinc Chromate primer & two coats of Olive Drab or Desert Sand or whatever MIL Spec color was needed & that was far enough back in time that I only wore one of those paper masks.
    I can honestly say that my personal exposure to volatile solvents was at least 10,000 times greater than that of the average person & for greatly extended periods of time.
    My daily acetone exposure was also quite high and here I am (years later) with zero permanent health effects.

I am not saying that folks should be stupid (like we were) when it comes to exposure to hydrocarbons and solvent exposure (in general) but, if you are concerned about it put a fan in the window blowing room air out & another small portable fan blowing across the gun cleaning area & put on a pair of nitrile gloves then "have at it" and wear an OSHA face-mask approved for volatile solvents.
    They are about 30 bucks at the local hardware store.
    I second your comments I would still be using a much more Hazardous cleaner, if my brother would not have gotten sick and the mayo confirmed the cause was the cleaners he used for 45+yrs.
    Doghandler likes this.

Administrator
    The MSA Masks that are intended for volatile solvents would be the way to go if you're concerned.
    Then make certain that you get all rags, cotton swabs, & related inundated materials out of the house ASAP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links