Putting a scope on a Turkish Mauser 8MM

This is a discussion on Putting a scope on a Turkish Mauser 8MM within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I want to use my Mauser to deer hunt this year. Right now all it has are iron sights. I know squat about mounting a ...

Thread: Putting a scope on a Turkish Mauser 8MM

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Putting a scope on a Turkish Mauser 8MM

I want to use my Mauser to deer hunt this year. Right now all it has are iron sights. I know squat about mounting a scope.

First question is what is a decent reliable scope for under $50ish? I want something accurate up to about 300-400 yards give or take.
    I need a railing system of some sort obviously. What is the best kind?
    Lastly, but not required I would like to bore/laser sight the rifle if possible before I take it to the range to make fine adjustments.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I don't think you are going to find anything for under $50 which will hold a zero and let you accurately use that rifle out to 3-400 yards.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

that ***** kicks. for 50 bucks... good luck...

lol

you don't use a laser bore to sight a bolt action in. you take the bolt out, and look through the barrel at something 25 yards away, then bring the scope to it.

Boresighting a Rifle Scope the Old Fashion Way - YouTube

to properly mount it, you will also need to level the scope with soemthing like this (this is an easier method, there are other ways like laser levels on a wall or feeler gauges)

Leveling Rifle Scope Crosshairs - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I want to use my Mauser to deer hunt this year. Right now all it has are iron sights. I know squat about mounting a scope.

First question is what is a decent reliable scope for under $50ish? I want something accurate up to about 300-400 yards give or take.
    I need a railing system of some sort obviously. What is the best kind?
    Lastly, but not required I would like to bore/laser sight the rifle if possible before I take it to the range to make fine adjustments.

Thanks.
    No $50. dollar scope would ever hold up to the recoil of an 8mm round, so plan on spending several hundred dollars for a decent scope the will last.
    Now to mount the scope on a Turkish Mauser you need to find a mount that will work and you will have to dril and tap the reciever for the scope mount, and if you have no experience doing this, then you will need a gun smith to do it.

Best way to bore sight a bolt gun is to remove the bolt,and put the gun in a rest,line the center of the bore up where you want the rounds to strike,then adjust elevation and windage knobs til everything lines up,that should get you on paper
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Consider finding a gunshop with the proper jig for that old Mauser and drill and tap the reciever for some nice rings...throw a servicable simple scope on it...

Links