Wonder Blue or not?

Wonder Blue or not?

This is a discussion on Wonder Blue or not? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I have aquired a single-sided safety for my EMP which came off a Colt Commander. I really like this safety but it is Nickel. Does ...

Thread: Wonder Blue or not?

Question Wonder Blue or not?

I have aquired a single-sided safety for my EMP which came off a Colt Commander. I really like this safety but it is Nickel. Does anyone know if the Wonder Blue Gun Black Kit will work on it? I have no experience with it and was wondering if any of you had a suggestion on how to black the safety by other means, or if you may have used Gun Black in the past. Thank You in advance.
    "If an awalu [freeman] should blind the eye of another awalu [freeman], they shall blind his eye"
    -Hammurabi (1792-1750 B.C.E.)

If a standard 1911 thumb safety works,Ebay has a blued safety for 10.99 + 3.99 Shipping which is around the price you would pay for a cold blue kit,and you don't have all the work
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Does anyone know if the Wonder Blue Gun Black Kit will work on it?

Nope, I'm positive that it won't. You'll need to remove the Nickel. Not an easy thing to do without stripping it off chemically.

There is a two part chemical called Ultra-Blak 465 for Nickel and Electroless Nickel but you cannot buy it in small quantities and so the expense would be far greater than just buying a thumb safety in black oxide. Be aware of the fact that not all aftermarket thumb safeties are "drop in" parts.
    There is an area that needs to have a small amount of metal carefully removed and fit to the individual pistol so that it it functions properly.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If a standard 1911 thumb safety works,Ebay has a blued safety for 10.99 + 3.99 Shipping which is around the price you would pay for a cold blue kit,and you don't have all the work
    Followed Your Advice. Orded it last night. With any luck, I won't have to do any trimming work on it. Thanks.
    "If an awalu [freeman] should blind the eye of another awalu [freeman], they shall blind his eye"

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

Be aware of the fact that not all aftermarket thumb safeties are "drop in" parts.
    There is an area that needs to have a small amount of metal carefully removed and fit to the individual pistol so that it it functions properly.
    Where is the area your refering to located so that I can judge it when the new one gets here?

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Got the safety in today. Boy, what a cheesy part. The sharp corners on the safety where it rolls on the retention spring made it very difficult to push it down. After I rounded the front side and deepened the spring pit it works pretty good. Guess it's true what they say, you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by LS208; October 19th, 2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Typo.

Links