Dremel kit for gun owners? - Page 2

Dremel kit for gun owners?

This is a discussion on Dremel kit for gun owners? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by dV8r Just keep in mind that the lowly dremel tool is the most blamed device for gun failures in America. Also blamed ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Dremel kit for gun owners?

Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    Just keep in mind that the lowly dremel tool is the most blamed device for gun failures in America.
    Also blamed for poor dental work too

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

I need to get one of these. Last I checked home depot and they had a 3 piece kit. 300, multimax, and trio for $150. Going to buy it one of these days.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I have a variable speed cordless Dremel that I've had for a few years. It is great for most things but then sometimes it does lack the power when I do need it to work a little harder. Been meaning to get a corded one for a while now.

GM
    A Dremel can be a nightmare or blessing depending on how you use it. I should start getting a Dremel, a flexible shaft, a pedal switch, and the required accessories for the particular job. The flexible shaft will allow you to have a more control over the Dremel, and a pedal switch will allow you to adjust the speed while using it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Administrator
    I have a FOREDOM but, I actually use my Dremel much more often. Mine is a variable speed. Truthfully a huge boo-boo that most folks make is using too slow of a speed setting for the majority of tasks.
    That's why they always get "chatter marks" with their cutters and tool kicks.

You'll mostly use the fastest speed so...I'm not sure having a variable speed is absolutely critical.

Absolutely for gun work get a CRATEX rubberized abrasive wheel assortment from Brownell's and get an assortment of Carbide burs.

Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    Just keep in mind that the lowly dremel tool is the most blamed device for gun failures in America.
    I heard it's the #1 tool that professional gunsmiths want amateur gunsmiths to own...
    QKShooter and wormy like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Administrator
    That having been said it's incredibly easy for most folks to use the CRATEX wheels & a Dremel to "melt" or dehorn a firearm at home and do a very respectible job of getting rid of those sharp edges.
    Unless the firearm is Stainless "touch up" blue is necessary but OXPHO BLUE (cold blue) works just fine for that.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I heard it's the #1 tool that professional gunsmiths want amateur gunsmiths to own...
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Cratex is good. I love the stuff. There is nothing better for polishing a feed ramp nice and quick like.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    That having been said it's incredibly easy for most folks to use the CRATEX wheels & a Dremel to "melt" or dehorn a firearm at home and do a very respectible job of getting rid of those sharp edges.
    That's about the extent to which I use my Dremel on my guns... polishing and taking off the rough edges. The only real metal removal I've used it for on a gun was to modify the bolt release on the 10-22s.

I got a couple dozen of the conical and pointed Cratex wheels, but I'll be darned if I can find the right size arbor for 'em. Any suggestions?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Moderator
    Find a drill bit and glue one on it with Superglue.
    QKShooter likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    I've throated more than a few 1911 barrels with a Dremel. It gets pretty easy and routine after you do the first one. There is a really good instructional video done by somebody at WILSON - throating a 1911 barrel with a Dremel. It's on YouTube. I came across it a few weeks ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links