Massive Gun Failure... Not sure what to do

This is a discussion on Massive Gun Failure... Not sure what to do within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I went to the range today to sight in my red dot and everything went perfect for about 70+rds. Then the gun jammed. It has ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By SIGguy229
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By rstickle

Thread: Massive Gun Failure... Not sure what to do

Question Massive Gun Failure... Not sure what to do

I went to the range today to sight in my red dot and everything went perfect for about 70+rds. Then the gun jammed. It has jammed like this before, but that was when it was completely dry, no oil or anything. But when it happened the other times I simply yanked on the bolt and the casing came out, that was with brass casings though. The ammo I was shooting today was steel cased. I can feel the tooth catching on the casing a little bit but if i pull any harder it slips off the casing. I tried pushing it out with a cleaning rod but it wont budge. And the back of the casing is marred up really bad, which is why it wont pull out when I pull the bolt back. I've tried using a cleaning rod, needle nosed pliers, wire cutters (to get in the groove), and various other ways of prying it out. Does anyone have any idea of how I could get this out? I've tried about everything I can think of. Also, do you know how I could prevent this in the future? And lubrication was not an issue, I cleaned and lubricated my gun very well just the night before. Thanks for any advice.

Also, this is an Ak47. Its a centurion 39 sporter to be exact.
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

2. Remove Ads

You should be able to use a 5/16 rod from home depot to drive it out, I would not recommend using any lube in the chamber or the bore it should be dry, it can raise pressures (possible cause of jam)

sgb
    Put a rod down the bore and pound the casing out, have the chamber checked by a qualified smith.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

A dousing from both the chamber end and the barrel end with a good penetrating oil will help ease the problem of removing the stuck case. My favorite penetrating oil for this sort of application is Kroil.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Wooden dowel rod slightly longer then the barrel (3-4 inches) inserted thru the Muzzle and tapped out with hammer. A rubber/plastic mallet is best to prevent muzzle damage. Have the chamber inspected for roughness. Crappy ammo causes crappy problems.
    Hopyard, gunthorp and Eaglebeak like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

another question is what are the main parts that should ALWAYS be lubricated, and what should never be lubricated? should the tooth that pulls the casing out not have anything on it? should the gas piston be lubricated? could this cause problems? thanks for any help
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

The "tooth" is called an extractor. Piston should not be lubricated with anything greater than a light film of oil.
    Erick46590 likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I'm not real familiar with the AKs, but in general a weak extractor spring can result in stuck cases. Steel-cased ammo is even more likely to get stuck than brass ammo, plus the older stuff had lacquered cases. Once the chamber gets hot, the lacquer tends to leave a coating on the chamber which further increases the likelihood of sticky extraction. And OldVet said it well: crappy ammo causes crappy problems. Your ammo may have had dents or sizing problems even before it hit the chamber. Commie-bloc stuff may be cheap but quality control isn't as good as Western European or US-made ammo.

A lot of good advice in the previous posts: drive the stuck case out with a wooden dowel, don't pry it out. Examine the case to see if there are "witness marks" from deposits in the chamber which could help identify the problem or the problem area. Or just take it to a gunsmith and let him get it out; more than likely he'll identify the problem and offer a solution.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

For the future,a stuck case in the chamber is not considered a catostrophic rifle failure,your gun blowing up in your face would be considered 'Catastrophic"
    Bark'n likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    For the future,a stuck case in the chamber is not considered a catostrophic rifle failure,your gun blowing up in your face would be considered 'Catastrophic"
    Seems that would sure depend on where you are and what you are doing when the case got stuck. In the OP's situation I agree. (Not to mention, you are the only one that used the word "catastrophic".)
    Erick46590 likes this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Links