How often do you clean your edc?

This is a discussion on How often do you clean your edc? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; Originally Posted by DC Even though the lint in the barrel looks funky, how much could it hurt to be there when the gun is ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: How often do you clean your edc?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    Even though the lint in the barrel looks funky, how much could it hurt to be there when the gun is fired? I'm guessing not at all.

I try not to leave much oil in the barrel because I don't like to see the lint build-up. Has anyone used compressed air in a can to blast it out? (done so safely of course)
    You would be surprised what a seemingly harmless item can do in a barrel. It does not take a lot to get a pressure build up. If you can see fuz in the barrel, blow it out or run a patch through it. I blow mine off with compressed air when I see fuz on them. If it is in the barrel, I will strip and clean.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

I will wipe it down if I handle it a lot for whatever reason, and then a quick cleaning after I shoot it. After I notice the quick cleanings are falling behind I give it a thorough cleaning.

I use Tetra Gun Grease on my handguns. With my Glocks, I clean them after every range, but, I only use a bore snake. My main goal is to clean the feed ramp of residue. When I change my truck oil, I field strip it and clean and relube, which is every 3 months. And once a year, I completely disasemble for a detail cleaning.

About the same with the 1911.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I wipe it down once a week & ONLY clean it after range time.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

I've got my SO convinced that when a gun gets dirty you should put it in the safe and get another. We can't after all have dirty tools. :D
    accessbob likes this.

RKM
    I'll clean them after I shoot them, no matter if I shoot 3 rounds or 3000. But I don't clean it just for the heck of it, even if it sits for over a month without being shot. I'm really not to obsessive about it. I've never had a gun fail due to being dirty.

I have glocks.... you are supposed to clean these things?

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I have glocks.... you are supposed to clean these things?
    I was thinking the same thing!

Let's see:

Former EDC Glock 23: Went 5,000 rounds without any cleaning or lubing whatsoever. Zero malfunctions.

Current EDC Glock 19: Goes 500 to 1,000 rounds before cleaned and lubed, but round count really has nothing to do with it. Typically, I only clean it if I'm bored!

------------------

FWIW, I'm of the camp which believes that cleaning a Glock can result in more harm than good. Glock also states in the manual that Glock pistols only require light lubing.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

After every range visit which is 2x/month.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My EDC is fuzzier than a Chia-pet. Is it time to clean it?
    accessbob likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Every time it needs it!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

After range use (about 300 rounds or so). I too, used to clean it after shooting 100 rounds but it really is over doing it.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

I wipe it down with a silicone cloth a couple of times a week and clean it after a trip to the range.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I've heard that I don't really need to clean my Glock, but I like to take care of my investments. Clean after every range trip. Wipedown and inspect once a week or if I'm really bored. I find it personally embarrassing to have a furry gun, so I do check for lint regularly.

Speaculator,
    I've got my SO convinced that when a gun gets dirty you should put it in the safe and get another. We can't after all have dirty tools. :D
    Man, that's a REALLY good idea! Unfortunately, I doubt I could convice my wife.....
    accessbob likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links