How often do you clean your edc?

This is a discussion on How often do you clean your edc? within the Firearm Cleaning & Maintenance forums, part of the General Firearm Discussion category; I give mine a thorough cleaning after every trip to the range. Between those, if it starts to look like the lint is building up ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: How often do you clean your edc?

I give mine a thorough cleaning after every trip to the range. Between those, if it starts to look like the lint is building up I clear the gun, wipe down the outside and blow stuff out of the innards if there is anything.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

2. Remove Ads

When ever my belly button can't possibly hold any more lint, it's time to check the gun too...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    I clean my edc each week. Or immediately after range time.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    yep same here

after every range trip. even if it's just 50 rounds. but I do it very ligthtly. I have grease on some of my guns on the slide rails, I don't touch that. I'll take the carbon off the feed ramps, and run a bore snake through the pistols and call it a day.

I also wipe everything down with tuf cloth

Always after shooting. Then I have a few lint-free rags that are relatively clean and have absorbed their share of various grease, lube, and metal conditioner. I wipe down the exterior whenever it looks like it could use it or the temperature shifts have left it looking parched :) ... Now at work my pockets like to fill with this really annoying brand of crap that comes in 3 different textures... 2 of which like to get into my pocket carry. I keep an eye on that and deal with it about every 2 weeks.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Every day I wipe it down with an oily rag. It’s not just a cleaning; in an inspection of all the parts too

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    every time i go to the range, generally every two to three weeks
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I clean mine every 1-2 weeks, normally one just sits in the safe, but it's a good habit to clean them at the same time :)
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Wipe it when I take it out of the holster for the night. I lube my EDC probably more heavily than the average bear and with an IWB I still rarely have problems with dirt or lint. I keep the outside of the slide pretty dry, but that's to keep from staining clothing, and I use a very light oil followed by a single swipe of a dry patch in the bore.

I do at least a quick clean and lube after every time shooting, which is once or twice a week (pretty nice when transport to the primary range involves walking out the back door and over the hill - makes it worth going out even if it's only to do a quick couple drills). If I'm going through more than a box of ammo, I do a deeper clean.

Non-EDC - clean/lube after shooting, and again I leave them with a bit more lube than most people I know. If I'm going out for a real range trip to shoot a lot, I'll clean and lube the night prior before I stage my gear. Hunting firearms I usually clean/lube before the season starts, and any time I've had them out in the wet or shot even a single round.

Clean after every range session(once a week or so) Then I shoot 1 mag through it. I don't beleive in trusting my life on something after it was taken apart and put back together with out a real test.
    How many would fly on an airplane that went into a yearly maintenance and all they did was ground checks?

I do have the advantage of shooting on my own land.

I take it down and check it out frequently but I only clean it if it's dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    How many would fly on an airplane that went into a yearly maintenance and all they did was ground checks?
    Interesting point - I've done ^^^ for 20+ years...

Some aviation to SD parallels, though:
    Thorough preflight ~ Function Check
    BUG ~ Ejection Seat

Though forced landing in a field has a completely different (and much more negative) connotation...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links